Pies

jamie ictfc

I am probably one of the 'happy clappy' type you refer to Kingsmills, though a positive mental attitude (which hopefully translates to the same in any players who read Caleythistleonline) is how I'd describe it, but you are right, the last pie I ate at a home game was so long ago that I haven't had another since. It always amazes me that with award winning pie makers and bakers on our doorstep we don't make use of them. Devouring heavenly tasting pies at down to earth prices could become a 'must have' experience for all who flock to the stadium on a Saturday afternoon, ensuring that we all leave the ground fulfilled to some extent regardless of the final score (which I'm sure would usually be a win, but maybe that is just the happy claptrap in me).

Has anyone ever thought of going to Harry Gow and asking if they could even supply the numbers we'd need each other week as well as on short notice for cup replays etc. How many do we consume on an average home day. 1500. Thats a lot of additional pies and a lot of additional staff needed on an irregular basis. Could they meet the demand?

• Agree 1

I totally agree why not get local/regional produce on sale. Good for the customers as well as the businesses, it's not just Gows there's Ashers from Nairn, Mcleans from Forres etc is there not a chance of the club using one of these companies helps keep people employed etc and the quality is much better than the fayre in the stadium. I was even following a couple of Partick fans after the game complaining about the burnt pies etc 

having a pie and bovril  is fairly traditional at the game and if the quality is good would surely be a decent source of income to the club on match days 

p.s. I would be surprised if 1500 pies were needed that is almost every second person eating one. When I look song our row in the north stand prob only 2 of 8 are having a pie 

Edited by jagster

A pie and a bovril is very much part of the matchday experience and it has been for generations of fans and long may it continue. 

Doesn't surprise me the likes of Bannerman can't get his head round it but when your munching your way through free sandwiches and guzzling cappuccinos he never will

Our neighbours seem to have the right idea using a local baker for their pies, you only have to look at threads on P&B to see how highly they are rated by away fans travelling north

Dougal

• Agree 5

You might throw your flask and hurt someone. :blink: 

I remember us going to see the proclaimers at whin park and having to bin a £6 foundation/vanity mirror, in case my partner, smashed up the mirror and use it as a weapon.

Some people have got a vivid imagination

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

You might throw your flask and hurt someone. :blink: 

I remember us going to see the proclaimers at whin park and having to bin a £6 foundation/vanity mirror, in case my partner, smashed up the mirror and use it as a weapon.

Some people have got a vivid imagination

There's not a chance I'd part with my thermos. Bovril out of jar in a thermos is immense - and probably safer than the polystyrene cups they use. 

The Scottish Pie awards were held in November 2015. Brora won a Gold Award for the best scotch pie in non-league. Clach got bronze for best steak pie in non-league. Brora use Hastie&Dyce and Clach use V8, both Inverness firms obviously. Why then are we, the Premier League club, being served up utter rubbish when there is clearly top rated pie makers in the City? And why aren't ICTFC not prepared to help out local shops? 

I was in Browns the butcher in Nairn today getting some Haggis and was chatting to the owner who's a County fan unfortunately as he's from the Black Isle and we were chatting about the food at both venues and obv he reckons County's are streets better than ours. He said a couple of days notice is all it takes to turn out the number required I don't think the numbers are the issue. He actually gave me an individual steak pie to try for free which was nice of him and all I can say is that if anyone here lives in Nairn you are so lucky I've never tasted one as good ever I took a pic so I'll try and post it. No idea about the price but man it was so good I'll definitely be going back the freebie is going to end up costing that's for sure :smile::smile::smile:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, ForzaCaley said:

The Scottish Pie awards were held in November 2015. Brora won a Gold Award for the best scotch pie in non-league. Clach got bronze for best steak pie in non-league. Brora use Hastie&Dyce and Clach use V8, both Inverness firms obviously. Why then are we, the Premier League club, being served up utter rubbish when there is clearly top rated pie makers in the City? And why aren't ICTFC not prepared to help out local shops? 

From what I can gather, it's a Hastie & Dyce pie that the OP is complaining about as that's their van next to the North Stand. :slapme:

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, CaleyD said:

From what I can gather, it's a Hastie & Dyce pie that the OP is complaining about as that's their van next to the North Stand. :slapme:

£1.50 for a bag of crisps is robbery tho...I used to find the van ones nicer but have to admit the sausage rolls from the other serveries are probably the best quality at the moment.