Pies

jamie ictfc

Every ground I go to I buy a coffee and a steak pie. I would like to say I have tasted some of the best (Killie/County) and the worst - I would like to put some emphasis on the latter.

I understand how this forum works, bit of banter here and there - more often a play on words relating to the topic of discussion, but I think that the pies we have are absolutely horrendous.

I enjoy a steak pie. This is no secret however I am now being forced to eat a cheeseburger from the burger van situation in the north stand/west stand corner - Don't get me wrong the girls in the van are nice and the burger is great  but my go to snack at the football is a steak pie. 
Increasingly I have been becoming frustrated with the sad state of affairs we now have at the 'shop' at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium - Even more so considering our near rivals can provide a more than acceptable version of the very same pastry based delight.

I have tried for months to forget just how awful a situation we have on our hands but I have now reached the end of my tether.

Why are our pies always stuck to the bottom of the casing? This makes eating the pie a horrendous situation, often leaving me caked in gravy - something that does not look very good. 

This also leaves me with another issue. Once I have eaten what I can pick up with my hands I am left with steak at the bottom of my tin pie case. Having paid £2.30 for a pie I am left with the tough choice either using my fingers to eat what I paid for whilst also covering my hands in gravy - again a horrendous situation especially when I need to then wash my hands with cold water in the bathrooms (not hygenic) - or leave the remains of the pie.

Surely at least we could be provided with a fork? 

Sorry but we have the worst pies in the league.

Edited by jamie ictfc
Explain my situation.
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

I believe that our catering is franchised out to the company which provides catering for a number of Scottish grounds for which the club receive an annual payment which is a pity as I agree that the fare is mediocre at best.

The best pies in the various leagues are provided by local suppliers and Killie and County are indeed good examples of this. I note that the club do not inflict the mass produced rubbish on corporate supporters where delicious MacDougal and Haistie pies are the order of the day.

I don't know what the commercial advantage is to the club or when the contract is due for renewal but a half time snack one could look forward to with relish and anticipation rather than merely to heat you up and fill your belly would certainly improve the match day experience.

The pies at the TCS are horrific however that's just the catering company we use, the McDougall and Hastie van at the north stand are so much better. 

Get Harry Gows in to replace that catering company! 

The derby at Dingwall at the beginning of last year, there was 5 of us! I got 5 hot dogs and 2 hot chocolates for just under £16! On Tuesday, I got 2 pies, a tea and a Coke it cost me £9.20! And the guy short changed me too! 

2 thing to take note:

1)our caterers are seriously over priced...especially when you compare them to our neighbours.

2) the staff in there can't count cause I dunno how many times I've been overcharged and I've heard of others having the same problems. 

2 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

The most recent 'Price of Football' study shows that the pies on sale at the Caledonian Stadium are the 3rd (equal) most expensive in Scottish football - behind Rangers and Hibs. The cheapest is at Elgin (£1). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34507719

The pies at Ainslie Park are £1 and a bovril is £1. Realistic pricing, IMHO 

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Just how often to they run out of staples even before the end of the half time interval....

Better ask the club office.

Seriously though, if the food is not to people's liking, simply don't buy it. Have a decent lunch and there should be no real need to replenish on pies before teatime. Also look at the money you'll save, how much more of the game you'll see and, in some cases, the inches that will be kept off the waist by simply not consuming food that's really not needed. How many other afternoons of the week do people punctuate with a pie?

On the subject of seeing more of the game, I just don't understand how people can pay £20 odd quid to go to a game of football and then spend much of the 90 minutes queuing for a pie which they probably don't need.

PS - any comment to the effect that I get into games free and get a free (very nice!) pie is hackneyed old hat and like water off a duck's back.:smile:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Disagree 1

It can be a mixed bag between a dried out roasting hot pie with crunchy base or luke warm to a chicken balti where the base is pure dough. But I still buy them.

Common sense would tell you how to improve things to speed it all up though.

What would be really good for this burns weekend is stovies served in the bar area before ko.

23 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Seriously though, if the food is not to people's liking, simply don't buy it. Have a decent lunch and there should be no real need to replenish on pies before teatime. Also look at the money you'll save, how much more of the game you'll see and, in some cases, the inches that will be kept off the waist by simply not consuming food that's really not needed. How many other afternoons of the week do people punctuate with a pie?

On the subject of seeing more of the game, I just don't understand how people can pay £20 odd quid to go to a game of football and then spend much of the 90 minutes queuing for a pie which they probably don't need.

PS - any comment to the effect that I get into games free and get a free (very nice!) pie is hackneyed old hat and like water off a duck's back.:smile:

Some have an obsession with supermarket cafes whilst for others the pie and hot beverage has long been and always will be part of the match going experience.

We are well aware that pastry encased meat and gravy has few health giving qualities. All the more reason why the experience should be as pleasurable as possible.

• Agree 3

Does the supplier determine the cost of the pies sold at grounds? Or is there some input from the club involved?
I completely appreciate that there should be a sliding-scale tariff to attend games - with admission to our Premiership matches being significantly higher than that charged for Clach's Highland League games.
However, If for example, Harry Gow supplied ICT's and Clach's pies - surely the humble pie should be the same price regardless of location it's being bought?
Is it justifiable to charge £2.50 at the Premiership game and only £1.50 (for example) at the Highland League game - for the same product?

16 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

You get into games free and get a free pie.

• Agree 1

Free entry, free pies and free drink.

Just as well he can be clearly seen head to toe in merchandise otherwise the club will think hes a freeloader.:whistle:

CB does his bit to promote the club.

Now Charles if your going to tell me that the BBC also pay you to come along to the match then you can stick some money in one of those pay what you can buckets tomorrow.:wink: