Scotty

The whole point of the possession game is to physically and mentally tire your opponents as they're pulled from pillar to post trying to win the ball back. It doesn't work if the opposition sit back and let you knock it around in front of them. Particks defensive players won't have a much easier afternoon than they did today. We didn't stretch them at all.

To quote one of the tactical masterminds of 'tiki taka', Johan Cruyff, "When you get the ball, you make the pitch big. When you lose the ball, you make the pitch small." We're doing the opposite! When we start a move everyone drops deep and runs back towards the man in possession. Our shape is too compact and narrow. There's a chronic lack of space, movement or options for the man on the ball. Little wonder our moves go nowhere and precious few chances are created. At times today our half was more congested than the proverbial 'Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday night'. Hardly a recipe for free flowing football or individual flair. 

The players are grafting hard but the gameplan isn't working. All in all a dreadful game of football.

• Agree 7

The postings above said it all. Just as well it's Hearts next week or the attendance could be back down under 3000. On today's performance they will take us apart like they did Motherwell last week.

Edited by Row S

Bughtmaster - I have to laugh at ur usual dig at former players - i.e. Barry Wilson & Ryan Christie. Barry was spot on today as that was absolutely dreadful fare and simply not acceptable for a team aspiring to finish in the top six .As an ICT fan from day one I would have loved to have Wilson in the team today.

As for your disparaging comments regarding Christie it is quite pathetic that you don't wish a young man who did our club proud in his time with us all the best! 

You seem to have an awful lot to say on many matters - you must have played/coached at a very high level or are you just another who has much to say with little football experience to support your 'gifted' opinions!! 

• Agree 1

I agree with rimet, Barry Wilson saw it how it was and commented on it honestly.

Yogi undoubtedly sets us out for clean sheets at home hoping to Nick a goal or two on the counter attack or after a long spell of possession 

I fully understand what he is trying to do but it takes time to get a system like that to work as its more a continental type of strategy which is more adapted to the technical side of the game

It can work there's no doubt but these systems like and other changes in the workplace need time to bed in

Dougal

10 hours ago, AlexJones said:

The whole point of the possession game is to physically and mentally tire your opponents as they're pulled from pillar to post trying to win the ball back. It doesn't work if the opposition sit back and let you knock it around in front of them. Particks defensive players won't have a much easier afternoon than they did today. We didn't stretch them at all.

To quote one of the tactical masterminds of 'tiki taka', Johan Cruyff, "When you get the ball, you make the pitch big. When you lose the ball, you make the pitch small." We're doing the opposite! When we start a move everyone drops deep and runs back towards the man in possession. Our shape is too compact and narrow. There's a chronic lack of space, movement or options for the man on the ball. Little wonder our moves go nowhere and precious few chances are created. At times today our half was more congested than the proverbial 'Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday night'. Hardly a recipe for free flowing football or individual flair. 

The players are grafting hard but the gameplan isn't working. All in all a dreadful game of football.

Absolutely nailed it, AJ. Attack wide and defend narrow. Press high and hard, winning the ball back within 7 sec of losing it. Fast transition from defence into attack. Unless you adopt the whole game plan and have a highly talented group of footballers + Messi to do the unpredictable and beat people, the style is very predictable and so easy to play against. Just sit deep, wait for the mistake in the defensive third and strike fast on the counter. PT, St J and Stirling have all sussed this. Ironically, I think we're more likely to get a result against Hearts and Aberdeen because they'll have more of a go and force us to be more counter-attacking.

As I said yesterday, I go to football matches to be entertained. In Yogi's defence, a slick passing move with a tap in for Storey can be that, but so can a fantastic piece of skill by a winger to skin a full back or a last ditch tackle by Warren to save a goal. 90 minutes of square passes across the defence with insufficient movement and width ahead of them is truly tedious and has lost us any chance of recruiting new supporters on the back of the cup success last year.

Thought aside from the first 15 minutes and last 5 or 10, it was a very poor match with dreadful passing from both sides. In our defence I thought we were the better team throughout most of the game and looked like we wanted to play some football, just a bit incapable of playing the way we wanted to. They will be much happier with the point and the longer the game went on the more I was getting the feeling it would turn out the same as the SJ game at home earlier this season.

Its incredible that despite all that JH has done for us and what he has achieved that he is still has significant criticism but it is deserved. He has done a lot for us and you cannot ignore that but the lack of changing things when the game isn't going our way or key players are out is painful for the paying fans. We went through this phase when he first joined which eventually turned out very well for us but we haven't had a massive turnover of players and haven't massively changed our system like we are all of a sudden starting over, what we have had is some injuries though. The predictability of our play against some teams can really make me cringe at times, especially at home.

3 hours ago, dougal said:

I agree with rimet, Barry Wilson saw it how it was and commented on it honestly.

Yogi undoubtedly sets us out for clean sheets at home hoping to Nick a goal or two on the counter attack or after a long spell of possession 

I fully understand what he is trying to do but it takes time to get a system like that to work as its more a continental type of strategy which is more adapted to the technical side of the game

It can work there's no doubt but these systems like and other changes in the workplace need time to bed in

Dougal

He's had 2 seasons to 'bed' in his idea's..   

Yesterday was poor, we don't have the guile to break teams down, the only time we managed to get behind their defence when Storey's pace took him past the right back and put the ball on a plate for Polworth - who carried out his cross eyed attempt at goal by missing when it was easier to hit the target!

Draper was also guilty of missing a sitter, heading over when hitting the target would have been easier, jeez its hard going the noo, and i can see it being like this to the end of the season i'm afraid, scrabbling for a point here or there.

Dreadful stuff. I'm beginning to wonder if this Roberts chap is actually a footballer. If he and Foran are fit enough get them on the park. If they are not fit enough then get them off the bench. Mr Vigurs was a luxury today that we can ill afford. Dress it up any way you want Mr Management, but it's clear on here that not many fans are excited at the prospect of going to watch the Scottish Cup Champions ply their trade in the Premiership.

• Agree 1

What was that all about then. Did we get what we paid for? I don't think so. If you paid a pound you were short changed.I have a season ticket and feel cheated. I think the next deal should be, we will pay you to come.

Back to football, the question is,.  when will we be back to football? There are some players who need to give themselves a shake, even if it serves them to be able to work out what the management team require of them, from the stand I don't have a clue . Is it enough to give it "a right good go" or should we revert to football, that is the question.

signed Disillusioned

• Disagree 2

10 hours ago, rimet said:

Bughtmaster - I have to laugh at ur usual dig at former players - i.e. Barry Wilson & Ryan Christie. Barry was spot on today as that was absolutely dreadful fare and simply not acceptable for a team aspiring to finish in the top six .As an ICT fan from day one I would have loved to have Wilson in the team today.

As for your disparaging comments regarding Christie it is quite pathetic that you don't wish a young man who did our club proud in his time with us all the best! 

You seem to have an awful lot to say on many matters - you must have played/coached at a very high level or are you just another who has much to say with little football experience to support your 'gifted' opinions!! 

I shouldn't need to explain myself Rimet however my comments regarding Barry Wilson were made objectively, He 'has never 'promoted ' our Club as such on any occasion I have heard him on OAM. ICT are trying to get supporters in to the games as he well knows yet he makes disparaging remarks like he did.---- there is no loyalty there.There was no need to emphasise the fact that we did not play well and discourage  people from coming to Tulloch Stadium

Christie!------ in no way was my comment derogatory. I was hoping he would get a start and I #hope he does well in his career, he has great potential but will Celtic give him a proper role in the Team ? that was my intended comment which you obviously misinterpreted.

You, I see are new to the forum well I wish you luck and I hope you enjoy it, most times there is excellent reading.

We started very brightly and a lot more positive than normal and I was thinking that we could be in for a really decent game of football.  Then when we didn't get anything from that early pressure we steadily reverted to the more usual negative approach to the game.  There was a bit of ambition in the last 10 minutes but by then I was resigned to the view that if we could hold on for a draw, it be more than the performance as a whole deserved.

Hughes talks about looking for a player in the transfer window "to unlock the door and come up with a bit of magic".  That sounds fine, but his actions and tactics seem to reduce the chances of anyone we currently have unlocking the door.  Having Williams freed up from left back duties should allow him to play a freer more attacking role but it just doesn't happen.  Time and time again when he does receive the ball wide, he steps inside and plays the ball across the park or backwards.  He should be taking players on, getting behind the defence and getting balls into the box.  We used to regularly enjoy the sight of the full backs steaming down the flanks to link up with the midfield on the overlap but that is now a rare, late in the game, chasing the game tactic.  Last week after Mutombo's excellent performance Hughes criticised him for show-boating. Yesterday when several players were not contributing much to our attacking play, he left Roberts, Foran and Sutherland on the bench rather than mixing it up a bit. It is all so depressingly negative.

What really frustrates me is these tactics might be OK in a team that lacked skill and flair but we have players who do have skill and flair.  This skill and flair is being consistently stifled.  The lovely team goal Vigurs scored against Stirling was a great example of what we are capable of when we get the ball wide and move the ball with pace.  But how often do we do that?  Time and time when the ball is moved wide and we see the space in front, our brief pang of anticipation of a break down the wing is stifled by a foot on the ball, check back and pass back inside again. We should be playing to our strengths but instead our play is dictated by a philosophy that wants to pass the ball through the middle of the park.  It isn't working and it's boring.

• Agree 2

Cannot disagree that the game was poor but............. we scorned 3 gilt edged chances, Storey, Draper and Polworth. Had the first two been scored, this would have been  a different game. Goals change games and we need to score first and get the team playing more confidently. That is the difference from the County game where we scored 2 goals and the football was better so yesterday could have been so different had we got one of these chances.

Partick came for a draw, no doubt of that and tried to make us play through them which we could not do. We did have width with both Mutumbo and Storey providing it and Raven/Tremarco as well at times. The player we are really missing at the moment is Vincent as I think he compliments Storey well and we look much better when he plays. Some of the postings on the game are, as usual over the top, we had a bad day at the office yesrerday, but let's get over it and support the team against Hearts. So many ficklefans on this site.

Finally, and this had little bearing on the game, I thought the referee and stand side linesman were amongst the worst I have seen. Linesman seemed unable to make a decision and when he did, invariably got it wrong. Referee was simply dreadful missing so many blatant fouls, or simply saying they were not fouls when the clearly well. Storey in particular was being fouled every time he challenged for the ball yet the defender was rarely penalised. The referee also got some decisions wrong for Partick as well so at least he was consistent. Booking for Vigurs was shocking as either Osman or Amoo totally conned the ref for the booking. Some of the antics of the Partick players was very poor as they seemed to be hit by snipers at times the way they went down. A worrying trend in football as Stirling Albion players did the very same on Tuesday and generally the referee fell for it.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Whilst Storey is a great find he is not an out and out striker as he obviously likes going wide. If Fisher had come through perhaps that triumvirate of storey wide ,fisher through the centre and Vincent coming from deep would have worked but yet again this season injuries dictate the set up and shape .Hughes does not  have the choice! 

Looks like another striker needed before the end of the month failing which it is a bottom  6 but hopefully well  clear of relegation ! 

• Agree 1

I actually see where   Bughtmaster is coming from as many times when I have heard Barry Wilson (one of my all time faves) on the radio he does seem rather negative towards us about crowd size etc and rarely seems to promote us. Maybe with his business being in Dingwall he's being a bit cagey. Though there wasn't a lot to be positive about on Saturday unless you were one of the half time draw winners :wink:

• Agree 3

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:42 PM, bughtmaster said:

Barry Wilson doing his best to make sure we don't get a decent crowd at Tulloch Stadium by saying the crowd will want their money back  and other derogatory remarks about the ICT games he has been to this season.-------------poor show from an ex player---probably sour grapes

As well as being a club stalwart who was instrumental in securing SPL football for us in the first place, he is developing into a very competent summariser.

I know that you leap to the defence of the manager and his tactics come what may but he has a very valid point and Saturday's poor and uninspiring fare was a prime example of it.

Two questions; Do you not think that Barry is better placed to comment on the style of play being at the stadium week after week than you are sitting at home listening on the radio and posting snide comments on the match day thread ? Secondly, why on earth would the player who was so fond of the club that he came back for a second spell and dropped down a division and took a salary cut into the bargain have cause for 'sour grapes' ? Did Barry once steal your parking space ?

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

As well as being a club stalwart who was instrumental in securing SPL football for us in the first place, he is developing into a very competent summariser.

I know that you leap to the defence of the manager and his tactics come what may but he has a very valid point and Saturday's poor and uninspiring fare was a prime example of it.

Two questions; Do you not think that Barry is better placed to comment on the style of play being at the stadium week after week than you are sitting at home listening on the radio and posting snide comments on the match day thread ? Secondly, why on earth would the player who was so fond of the club that he came back for a second spell and dropped down a division and took a salary cut into the bargain have cause for 'sour grapes' ? Did Barry once steal your parking space ?

I may not go to many matches so yes to your first question he is better placed than I, however why does he have to be so negative about ICT, why does he have to wait so long before he updates the match he is watching (Twitter is way ahead of him with any goal attempts  on most occasions) a good commentator is making the most out of a match, why doesn't he put the same emphasis on the positive as he does on the negative. It irks me when he stresses the negative aspects. It is bad enough having to sit at home listening to OAM without having a balanced appraisal to listen to.

Having said that I am no lover of the negative in any case as well you know.

Question two, maybe you have answered that question yourself ?

Question three, as you threw in a bonus question at the end,---- NO----- and if he had I would have laughed it off and told him he was a cheeky B****r

• Disagree 1

Perhaps Wilson is being 'negative' because what he is watching is negative, dull, repetitive, stale football.  To try dress up as if being other than that would be dishonest and unprofessional.  No 'sour grapes', just facts.  Give me the truth over a silly ultra-positive fairy story just for the sake of it, any day of the week.

If you don't like the radio coverage, maybe make your way to the Caley Stadium every other weekend and see for yourself...  

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

Renegade, I would if I could but as I have said previously circumstances prevent me from doing so. Incidentally I have enjoyed every game I have watched.

Yes I could criticise on occasion but maybe I have just been lucky, the positives have outweighed the negatives and if you analyse the probabilities you can understand

why there have been negatives.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic