Good Luck Ross County in the Cup Semi

CELTIC1CALEY3

I always like to see the "wee" teams do well, but not County.  We are in direct competition with them for players, fans, sponsors etc and any success and additional money they have can only be detrimental to ICT.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I always like to see the "wee" teams do well, but not County.  We are in direct competition with them for players, fans, sponsors etc and any success and additional money they have can only be detrimental to ICT.

Thats exactly how I see it tbh. They are moving more and more into Inverness looking for business with stalls in eastgate etc

I think it's good for the Highlands if County do well but not too well and certainly not as well as us.

For that reason, I would be delighted if they beat Celtic as long as they didn't go on to win the thing and we would remain the first team in the Highlands to have reached a League Cup final.

However, my main emotion surrounding this match is that if we'd played the first 70 minutes of the quarter final with the same purpose and intensity as the last 20 minutes it would have been us.

• Agree 2

...but we didn't and it isn't.  We are now facing the very real possibility that County could finish above us in the league and progress further than us in both cup competitions.  Hopefully that dreadful prospect will motivate the manager and the team to play routinely with the purpose and intensity shown in that last 20 minutes.

In the meantime, I am in the "good luck against Celtic but may you get thoroughly gubbed in the final" camp.

• Agree 2

Ach, who cares. After a season like last year, going to Hampden twice and winning twice, finishing 3rd in the league and a never to be forgotten trip to Bucharest as a bonus, this year was always going to be an anticlimax. Let uncle Roy's plaything have a bit of the limelight for a change. They'll need their shades on though after so long in the shadows :lol:

p.s. Will McIntyre be the first C(o)unty manager to move on to bigger things rather than get the boot?

• Agree 3

Ross County are performing well in the cups and have a fantastic draw in the last 16 at home to Linlithgow Rose. And, obviously it's a big day for County this weekend with Celtic at Hampden, but they're 'going well' in the league, too.
Plus, on a lesser scale, and probably overlooked by many, they've progressed to the Scottish Youth Cup Semi-Finals - a tournament, traditionally the preserve of the 'Old Firm' (both of whom are already out this season!) They're certainly doing something right, over-the-bridge....even it is through Uncle Roy's chequebook!

However, the following table suggests that County are still very much 'In Our Shadows'!
They've never managed to do the clean-sweep on us - i.e. bettering us in all three competitions in the same season - although, we've done it to them on a number of occasions!
The Challenge Cup is excluded as we weren't always competing in it at the same time.
There's significant danger ahead - County could do the Highland Treble!

56aa226c522f4_ICTvRC.jpg.cabc99a0a3fa3eb

• Agree 6

Just off the top of my head, but I think 2010 was the only time County ever reached the last 8 of the big cup. So the other times they went further than us, we must have gone out at the first hurdle, e.g. 94-5 v QoS in round 1.

Mind you we've got a tough one this time and they've virtually got a bye into the quarters.

I've got a feeling about the Motherwell game - a bit like the trip to St Mirren in 2004 when we overfilled our section of the stand and stole the game courtesy of Darran Thompson. 

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Just off the top of my head, but I think 2010 was the only time County ever reached the last 8 of the big cup. So the other times they went further than us, we must have gone out at the first hurdle, e.g. 94-5 v QoS in round 1.

Mind you we've got a tough one this time and they've virtually got a bye into the quarters.

I've got a feeling about the Motherwell game - a bit like the trip to St Mirren in 2004 when we overfilled our section of the stand and stole the game courtesy of Darran Thompson. 

Yeah, I 'make it' that, too, Mantis;
2010 being the only year County have reached the quarter-finals - and obviously, they made the Final that year. We lost in the last-16 that season 3-0 at Kilmarnock.
And indeed, the other years County have 'bettered' us in the Scottish Cup, we lost at our first hurdle, as you suggested.
(Season ending):
(1995) ICT 1-2 Queen of the South
(1999) ICT 1-2 Livingston
(2008) Hibernian 3-0 ICT

18 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Ross County are performing well in the cups and have a fantastic draw in the last 16 at home to Linlithgow Rose. And, obviously it's a big day for County this weekend with Celtic at Hampden, but they're 'going well' in the league, too.
Plus, on a lesser scale, and probably overlooked by many, they've progressed to the Scottish Youth Cup Semi-Finals - a tournament, traditionally the preserve of the 'Old Firm' (both of whom are already out this season!) They're certainly doing something right, over-the-bridge....even it is through Uncle Roy's chequebook!

However, the following table suggests that County are still very much 'In Our Shadows'!
They've never managed to do the clean-sweep on us - i.e. bettering us in all three competitions in the same season - although, we've done it to them on a number of occasions!
The Challenge Cup is excluded as we weren't always competing in it at the same time.
There's significant danger ahead - County could do the Highland Treble!

56aa226c522f4_ICTvRC.jpg.cabc99a0a3fa3eb

That is a brilliant table.  Perspective.

• Agree 1

Well done statmeister.

We've reached the last eight 9 times in our short history, and obviously 3 of those led to a semi, one to a semi replay, and one to a final.

I've still got two memories that really rankle even years later.

In 2007 we lost 2-1 to Celtic after leading for most of the game right up to the 90th minute. We weren't even under pressure as you'd expect in a Celtic game. Sickener for everybody, a long trudge back to a very subdued Innes Bar that day.

2006, Liam Fox had a one-on-one to put us 3-1 up with only minutes to go against Partick. He missed, they went up the park and Paul Ritchie won a penalty which made it 2-2. Dominated possession in the replay but a bit like Stirling the other week, toothless. Lost out with some of the weakest penalties I've ever witnessed. Hearts beat Gretna in the final after Clyde had put Celtic out. The Cup was there for the taking.

• Agree 1

The two that still haunt me are...

Inverness 0-1 Partick Replay after a 2-2 draw at firhill.  It was a midweek match and the rain was horrendous, if we won we would have got our first semi final but sadly a Scott Paterson free kick finished us.

Livingston v Inverness again in the quarter finals late into extra time when Paul Dalgleish scored the winner for Livingston, quarter final defeats were always the hardest to take.

On 27/01/2016 at 3:38 PM, old caley girl said:

Thats exactly how I see it tbh. They are moving more and more into Inverness looking for business with stalls in eastgate etc

I don't see how that's a threat tbh. If the tourists want to buy the lucky charms and pegs its entirely up to them. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

I don't see how that's a threat tbh. If the tourists want to buy the lucky charms and pegs its entirely up to them. 

Don't be so nieve. They have more address season ticket holders with Inverness addresses than Ross shire ones. Of course if they are successful they affect our business prospects as a club! 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Well county have a chance to win the league cup now, much like us last year in the SC they got a bit of semi final luck. We lost the final a few years ago now they go into the final as favourites. Great for Highland football, thats 3 major finals between the 2 teams in the last few seasons, both cups could be in the region - this has to be beneficial for both clubs, its getting harder for the media to ignore the region and football teams, hopefully the national coverage will help both bring players up north.

As much as I dont want RC being successful, I'd rather that than see the OF continue to dominate football and their fans who think they will win everything year on year. Just sad that we didnt play better in the quarters or we would have played that semi today. Hopefully the sucess of RC will push our players on to be even more deterimined to get to another final in the Scottish Cup.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 3

Just thinking,if County go on and beat Hibs, Peterhead manage to do the same with Rangers. We have the Scottish Cup still tucked away,then all three Cups would be in the hands of clubs coming from the Highland League. Nice one for the suits at Hampden

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Don't be so nieve. They have more address season ticket holders with Inverness addresses than Ross shire ones. Of course if they are successful they affect our business prospects as a club! 

Was only said in jest.

Your above statistic dosnt surprise me one iota.  It has a lot more to do with living in a rural area and moving to Inverness for a better lifestyle and employment prospects, than all our fans crossing the bridge. 

If you want to start naming local pubs there are a few of them who are from north of the bridge and are county fans. Does it really matter what their post code is. 

• Disagree 1