Liam Hughes

jaggiesoverstaggies

The other new guy signed in the transfer window is 23 y.o. attacking mid Liam Hughes from Cambridge United. A quick search on YouTube revealed this free kick. 

Couldn't find any footage of him passing etc. He scored 13 in 160 for Cambridge and another 3 in 3 games out on loan to Corby Town.

• Agree 1

Or has he?  The Courier are suggesting it's not a done deal yet.  Bizarre that there's been no announcement, even on Twitter from the club on these/this new signing.  They're quick trying to flog mugs and engage in other 'banter' though....

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Conflicting reports this morning, indeed!
BBC stating he's signed but as Renegade says, the Courier's report within the past hour suggests he hasn't!
But, as a 'free agent' he can be signed outwith the window. I'll 'go with' the Courier on this one until anything is reported otherwise from the Club.

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

Or has he?  The Courier are suggesting it's not a done deal yet.  Bizarre that there's been no announcement, even on Twitter from the club on these/this new signing.  They're quick trying to flog mugs and engage in other 'banter' though....

Agree. I was hoping for a wee bit more info coming from our normally vocal, and as a result helpful, Twitter account.

Now that it's confirmed, I wish him well on his Inverness career!
I note from my saddo stats that he won't be a complete stranger at the Caledonian Stadium. He'll know Nat Wedderburn - they played almost a full season in the same Corby Town team in 2012/13 -  in the English 'level 6' (Conference North - now called the National League North).
A familiar face, particularly far away from home can really help! Good luck, Liam!

• Agree 1

Hi,

Cambridge fan here and just want to say you are getting one heck of a player and a top fella. The press are listing Liam as an attacking midfielder but he has played just about every position for us. I'd say his best position is a deep lying centre mid or centre def. As his record shows he isn't a massive goal scorer but he has great creativity can certainly pick a pass to unlock a defence. Not afraid to get stuck in and mix it when he has to but certainly not dirty in anyway. He's tall and we regularly put him up against tall strikers when defending corners or goal kicks and he won a LOT more than he lost. He's got a good engine and as you've seen from the video has a shot on him like a kicking horse. We really don't understand the logic in letting him go. He's been a stalwart for the last 2-3 years but a new manager has come in and bombed him & a few others straight out of the team without ever looking at them in a game and replaced them with a number of untried premier league youngsters, none of whom are setting the world alight. 

One thing you really will get from him is a real connection with the fans, he'll always be happy to have photos taken or sign autographs. Any kids that ask him will get asked if they play, what position etc and he gives a real sense of being genuinely interested in their answers. 

I hope you enjoy him, he will always get a fantastic welcome from us for the opening goal in our playoff final at Wembley in 2014 that ended 9 years of non league wilderness. 

Keep an eye out for a U's shirt or two popping up as I've already heard of several people planning a weekend away.

• Agree 22

You'll all receive a warm Highland welcome.....................

15 minutes ago, BigPete said:

Hi,

Cambridge fan here and just want to say you are getting one heck of a player and a top fella. The press are listing Liam as an attacking midfielder but he has played just about every position for us. I'd say his best position is a deep lying centre mid or centre def. As his record shows he isn't a massive goal scorer but he has great creativity can certainly pick a pass to unlock a defence. Not afraid to get stuck in and mix it when he has to but certainly not dirty in anyway. He's tall and we regularly put him up against tall strikers when defending corners or goal kicks and he won a LOT more than he lost. He's got a good engine and as you've seen from the video has a shot on him like a kicking horse. We really don't understand the logic in letting him go. He's been a stalwart for the last 2-3 years but a new manager has come in and bombed him & a few others straight out of the team without ever looking at them in a game and replaced them with a number of untried premier league youngsters, none of whom are setting the world alight. 

One thing you really will get from him is a real connection with the fans, he'll always be happy to have photos taken or sign autographs. Any kids that ask him will get asked if they play, what position etc and he gives a real sense of being genuinely interested in their answers. 

I hope you enjoy him, he will always get a fantastic welcome from us for the opening goal in our playoff final at Wembley in 2014 that ended 9 years of non league wilderness. 

Keep an eye out for a U's shirt or two popping up as I've already heard of several people planning a weekend away.

Edited by Donview
repeated text

12 hours ago, Renegade said:

I preffer a Cup any day.

I've read this thread and the Ryan Williams thread and they both have posts complaining that now we have "too many" midfielders. I totally agree that we need players in other positions but who said we didn't try and aren't still trying. What's the point in signing a player if they aren't any good or better than what we have. I am looking at any addition as a positive, especially if they add quality to the squad. I've read this forum for a while and fans on this will find just about anything to complain about and I just don't understand why! 

• Agree 4

Big Pete--hope you are still reading this thread.

Great, positive, post and the 16 or 17 likes you have received is astonishing and must be a record for any individual  post in any thread recently.

Welcome to Inverness in your thoughts, if not in form.   Aye!!:clapoverhead::wave::notworthy:

• 4 weeks later...