EU In or Out

Alex MacLeod

11 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

If that exit poll is remotely accurate then the United Kingdom is sailing towards disaster. Time to concentrate all our efforts on preparing the lifeboat.

If it's right we're fecked :sad:

20 minutes ago, IBM said:

If it's right we're fecked :sad:

Via every available orifice!   If the exit poll is right (and I was watching the Channel 4 Alternative Election programme on my 'puter and thought it was part of the comedy of it it) and if the SNP has got 55 seats, fingers crossed that they also have more than 50% of the vote..because then we have options  if another indyref is "requested" but refused.

16 minutes ago, Oddquine said:

Via every available orifice!   If the exit poll is right (and I was watching the Channel 4 Alternative Election programme on my 'puter and thought it was part of the comedy of it it) and if the SNP has got 55 seats, fingers crossed that they also have more than 50% of the vote..because then we have options  if another indyref is "requested" but refused.

Steady on. I doubt that we will end up with as many as 55 seats and we certainly won't gain 50% of the vote but we will win the election in Scotland even more overwhelmingly than the Tories in the rest of the UK. Scotland is an increasingly different place and, although this is in the short term, an appalling result, it does, without doubt, bring independence a step closer and re entry to the European Union which the UK will now inevitably leave and probably on the most damaging WTO terms.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Steady on. I doubt that we will end up with as many as 55 seats and we certainly won't gain 50% of the vote but we will win the election in Scotland even more overwhelmingly than the Tories in the rest of the UK. Scotland is an increasingly different place and, although this is in the short term, an appalling result, it does, without doubt, bring independence a step closer and re entry to the European Union which the UK will now inevitably leave and probably on the most damaging WTO terms.

As long as the SNP get 36 seats and Moray loses Douglas Ross as a result, I can't say I'm overly bothered about  the 55, though it would be ace!

I'm ambivalent about the full EU membership espoused by the SNP. Didn't see, in 1975, when I voted no to staying in the EU, what was wrong with EFTA and the ability to opt in to stuff we wanted to be involved in,  but voted remain this time, 40 years later,  because I could see that the leavers were talking out of their backsides, and because, over all, Scotland gets more from the EU than it does from Westminster for stuff that we think important but Westminster doesn't.....so I do think, post-independence, we should have another EU referendum once we see the results of negotiations, with the option of EFTA or the EuU..

The only good thing about this Brexit omni-bourach is the gradual edging towards independence...however maybe I'm pessimistic, but given the "I'm all right, jack" and the "blaming immigrants for reducing wages below legal limits, and not blaming their own laziness/self importance and/or wanting more money than the job is worth because the heid bummers and "celebrities" get paid more than their job is worth" crowd are still wedded to the English concept of exceptionalism, entitlement and importance, and are still voting unionist in big numbers...I am not convinced that we'd win a referendum in 2020, any more than I thought we would in 2014.

I'm in my seventies, but am still hoping that Scotland will see sense before I die without being able to get a Scottish passport.

Edited by Oddquine

Dear God!!   The English turkeys have voted for Christmas.   The very people who will NOT benefit from either Brexit or a Johnson government have voted for both.

Only consolation for me is that Snorbens (St Albans) has finally got rid of the appalling Tory Anne Main, who had moved progressively further to the right, turning a 12,700 majority in 2015 into a 6,000 majority in 2017, and now into a 6,300 loss.  Way to go, Anne!  Not sure that the new Lib Dem MP will be able to achieve much, but she is very welcome anyway.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Dear God!!   The English turkeys have voted for Christmas.   The very people who will NOT benefit from either Brexit or a Johnson government have voted for both.

Only consolation for me is that Snorbens (St Albans) has finally got rid of the appalling Tory Anne Main, who had moved progressively further to the right, turning a 12,700 majority in 2015 into a 6,000 majority in 2017, and now into a 6,300 loss.  Way to go, Anne!  Not sure that the new Lib Dem MP will be able to achieve much, but she is very welcome anyway.

Credit to the de facto Prime Minister Dominic Cummings. He has somehow persuaded swathes of working class people in deprived areas of the North of England, Wales and the Midlands to vote for a Conservative administration that is even more driven by extreme right ideology than Thatcher to get them out of an institution that probably wasn't on the radar of 90% of them four years ago.

The very institution that created the welfare, employment and environmental rights that the new government will, without doubt, now strip away and they will be the very people who will suffer the most. Turkeys and Chritmas indeed!

As for your new Lib Dem MP, she probably has a sporting chance of being party leader !

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Mrs S and I were both pretty depressed yesterday, as the reality of it actually happening sank in.   No celebrations that we were aware of here in St Albans, which voted 63-37 to remain.

Scotland, NI, and most of the wealthiest cities and urban areas in England all pulled out against their will. 

Was going to suggest that this thread could be closed down now.  But maybe its name should be changed to "Scotland In or Out"   :wink:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Mrs S and I were both pretty depressed yesterday, as the reality of it actually happening sank in.   No celebrations that we were aware of here in St Albans, which voted 63-37 to remain.

Scotland, NI, and most of the wealthiest cities and urban areas in England all pulled out against their will. 

Was going to suggest that this thread could be closed down now.  But maybe its name should be changed to "Scotland In or Out"   :wink:

Or better still. Scotland back in. Only a matter of when.

• Agree 1

Well that was some thread.

Personally I see no reason to suggest that Scotland should not try to regain their independence and quit the Brexit hairbrain train. Devolution could open a  very good Pandora's box for  Scotland.

Independence is dynamically special provided the Gross revenue is sufficient in the short term to initially support a devolution.

I left so many years ago that I have little idea as to what the gross income of the country is but  the last thing I would care to see and experience is to see Scotland going down in initial flames leading to deprivation and possibly economic disaster.

BUT,,,,,, nothing ventured, nothing gained,,,,,, and Scottish inventiveness, brains, education and intuition has always been her primary and outstanding asset s-o-o-o-o...……. GO FOR IT, I SAY.:clapping:

• 5 months later...

Looking increasingly likely that the stubborn intransigence of the UK government means that we are going to end the transition period on 31st December with no meaningful trade deal.

Brexit was always destined to be a  self imposed cultural and economic disaster but to have your mind closed to keeping the perfectly satisfactory status quo for at least another year in the midst of a global health and economic crisis takes it a step further to sheer ideologically driven financial and cultural lunacy.

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, IBM said:

It looks like Boris and his team are going to pull the rabbit out of the hat!  We are waiting patiently for the announcement of the new trade deal with the EU. 

The details are now beginning to emerge. The rabbit may have emerged from the hat but it is riddled with myxomatosis!

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

The details are now beginning to emerge. The rabbit may have emerged from the hat but it is riddled with myxomatosis!

Yes I wonder what the fisherman who voted Tory are thinking about the deal that they have!