Sign in to follow this  
Alex MacLeod

EU In or Out

I see that the DUP are threatening to scupper any sort of deal with the European Union.

They are citing, their 'blood red line' of full regulatory alignment between Northern Ireland and every other part of the United Kingdom  Say the biggotted hypocrites who refuse to align with the regulations that permit gay and lesbian people in every other nation in their beloved union the same basic rights as the rest of us and women the absolutely fundamental right to control their own bodies.

• Agree 1

Things turning ugly on Westminster Green.

I can't help contrast the mild mannered if remarkably persistent conduct of the chap with the 'Stop Brexit' signs who, when the TV companies tried to thwart him by spending £20,000 building an elevated gantry for interviews countered with the simple expedient of spending a thousandth of that purchasing longer poles with the conduct of the mysoginist, racist, Islamophobic right wing extremists who have been threatening Anna Soubry and others.

If these characters prevail then a United Kingdom isolated from the international community as they wish for is going to be a dark, depressing and dangerous place.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Things turning ugly on Westminster Green.

I can't help contrast the mild mannered if remarkably persistent conduct of the chap with the 'Stop Brexit' signs who, when the TV companies tried to thwart him by spending £20,000 building an elevated gantry for interviews countered with the simple expedient of spending a thousandth of that purchasing longer poles with the conduct of the mysoginist, racist, Islamophobic right wing extremists who have been threatening Anna Soubry and others.

If these characters prevail then a United Kingdom isolated from the international community as they wish for is going to be a dark, depressing and dangerous place.

I thought it was very bad that the police didn't step in, despite standing close by whilst Soubry was being abused, and, it appears from some of the footage, accompanying the group to the door into Westminster.  I saw a high-ranking officer from the Met on the news yesterday saying that they were now taking advice on whether any criminal actions had taken place.

Memo to the Met Police - you don't have to wait until criminal activity takes place. (Ask any subject of stop-and-search.) What you should have done was step in and tell the louts to back off. If you want to make it formal, tell them they are in danger of committing public-order offences. I appreciate that it's a balancing act - that there's a fine line between tolerance and over-zealous policing. But next time, one of the idiots may be carrying a weapon, and be stupid enough to use it, while you stand by.

• Agree 3