Periscope Live Football

Feb82000

HMS Sneck  may well have had it's last fray  a few months ago. Where is it now IHE--in dry dock, perhaps, getting a face-lift?

Methinks it has a few years left on it's fo'castle though , don't you? Let's get her ship-shape and Bristol fashion and back on the Firth ready for action. Unless the skipper has been thinking of entering his dotage :smile:of course..?

3 hours ago, scottishhighlands said:

i see a lot off Hibs and Hearts fans are posting there games Live on Periscope now i watch the Hibs v Hearts game on tuesday night on it what about Caley Thistle fans doing the same thing for home and away games

Aye cause that will help our attendances go up. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Periscope football will be a bit of a flash in the pan.  Will people really sit for ninety minutes watching wee dots moving around on their phone while they sit on the toilet?  And what about the people filming it?  Honestly, why would you bother?

Reminds me of a few years back attempting to watch a midweek away tie at Morton on some webcam near the ground.  I gave up after about ten minutes and the only players I could recognise were Ryan Esson and Ross Tokely!

36 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I wonder if Periscope football will be a bit of a flash in the pan.  Will people really sit for ninety minutes watching wee dots moving around on their phone while they sit on the toilet?  And what about the people filming it?  Honestly, why would you bother?

I have friends and family abroad who wanted to see the hearts hibs game and UEFA denied them the chance. ( no broadcast anywhere in the world) I broadcast the game for free. No club was allowed to by UEFA. TBH it was a hassle and detracted from me enjoying the game but also a bit of fun. 7,000 viewers for that game. Cost me a bit for bandwidth.

On 2/18/2016 at 9:32 PM, ICTRoughi said:

Aye cause that will help our attendances go up. :blink:

perhaps it will. If you generate interest in a product people will want the better experience. Rubbish mobile phone experience is not going to be beaten by club broadcasts or actually going? If you look at how TV companies deal with these issues they are a lot more forward thinking

51 minutes ago, hibsgame said:

perhaps it will. If you generate interest in a product people will want the better experience. Rubbish mobile phone experience is not going to be beaten by club broadcasts or actually going? If you look at how TV companies deal with these issues they are a lot more forward thinking

I couldn't make it to the match last night. I'd have paid to watch it on a pay per view basis but that wasn't offered. 

A few clubs have a live coverage subscription service.  If I remember rightly, Falkirk were doing it as far back as 2008.  Definitely something the club should look into but I'm sure I heard somewhere that the internet at the stadium isn't good enough (or something like that).

21 hours ago, Renegade said:

Reminds me of a few years back attempting to watch a midweek away tie at Morton on some webcam near the ground.  I gave up after about ten minutes

That's one of my abiding memories from our title run-in when we overhauled Dundee.  It was a midweek away game, and in the days before periscope some Morton fan had fixed a phone (or such like) to point at the goal Morton were attacking, and connected it to a webpage.  Most of the game you could only really see Esson standing there, with the very occasional Morton attack.  We won 2-0, and the only way you knew we had scored was when you saw our players take up their positions for the restart. Happy days!

I've been looking at it for years and have all the technology to make it happen....however we don't have anything like the bandwidth needed at the stadium to put it in place.  This is not the fault of the club as BT won't upgrade the cabinet that services the stadium due to there being only 2 addresses being served (stadium and traveller site)....so fibre is not available. On a good day the club will get 5MB down and (if you're lucky) 1MB up.  Even if we got a second broadband line put in that's not enough to run a video stream, especially on a contended service which is already very unreliable.

The alternative is having a leased line installed.....but the cost of that runs into thousands of pounds a year.

5 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

I've been looking at it for years and have all the technology to make it happen....however we don't have anything like the bandwidth needed at the stadium to put it in place.  This is not the fault of the club as BT won't upgrade the cabinet that services the stadium due to there being only 2 addresses being served (stadium and traveller site)....so fibre is not available. On a good day the club will get 5MB down and (if you're lucky) 1MB up.  Even if we got a second broadband line put in that's not enough to run a video stream, especially on a contended service which is already very unreliable.

The alternative is having a leased line installed.....but the cost of that runs into thousands of pounds a year.

BT are awful. Even on their superfast infinity broadband offering 78mb download they don't guarantee upload speeds. 

The periscope feed was watchable tbh. 

That's the problem with any contended broadband service....you're fighting with everyone else in the area for space on the "pipe", they make no guarantee and they're sold on the maximum potential speed.  It's why they can sell it relatively cheaply.

A leased line is uncontended.  This means you are guaranteed your bandwidth and the up/down speeds are the same.  The stadium would probably be looking at getting a 40MB leased line.....and that means a stable 40MB in both directions.

We probably could get by on a 10MB leased line, but you are right at the limit in terms of required bandwidth for the stream and the recommended overhead needed to sustain a stream over the length of a football match......plus the cost saving is only about 15% for a service that is dropping by 75%.  If you are going the leased line route, you also want to have benefit in other areas as well and not just 20 days of the year.

Anyone who knows their figures on 4G speeds will have realised that it has the potential to carry the video stream.....which it does.  However, you run into contention issues again and (quite ironically) it's only set to get worse if people are going to be eating up more of the 4G bandwidth at the stadium using streaming services such as Periscope.  That's not a complaint about Periscope users, just a simple matter of fact.

I've not give up hope.....I just need to find a way to offset the cost/risk of getting a leased line which has a minimum 5 year tie-in/contract period....if you want to avoid thousands in installation costs as well!!!

4 hours ago, Yngwie said:

That's one of my abiding memories from our title run-in when we overhauled Dundee.  It was a midweek away game, and in the days before periscope some Morton fan had fixed a phone (or such like) to point at the goal Morton were attacking, and connected it to a webpage.  Most of the game you could only really see Esson standing there, with the very occasional Morton attack.  We won 2-0, and the only way you knew we had scored was when you saw our players take up their positions for the restart. Happy days!

I remember it well!  It was obviously someone attached to the club, because the camera was on the wall at the back of the dugout, and had been there for umpteen games.  It pointed to the goal they were attacking, so changed at half time (and maybe after the toss).

I still remember watching that second half, waiting for Ryan Esson to get agitated (I'm still waiting).

That was the night I knew we were going back up.

13 hours ago, CaleyD said:

What can another company promise if you change provider? 

Is another option to get a private company to run in the fibre optic cable and BT connect and take ownership of the cable. Where's it going back to?

3 hours ago, 12th Man said:

What can another company promise if you change provider? 

Is another option to get a private company to run in the fibre optic cable and BT connect and take ownership of the cable. Where's it going back to?

Doesn't matter who the provider is.....we're at the physical limit of what the current installation can provide.  Unless BT upgrade the cabinet to fibre or we pay for a leased line then we have as much as we are going to get for the price we pay.  (BT isn't actually the stadium's broadband provider, but they own and control the cabinets).

Your second idea isn't an option as the costs would be astronomical.

It's not that we can't get what's needed, it's that we can't do it in a manner which is financially viable.