Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO

TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
2016-02-20_9-05-20.thumb.png.90e8b4a7f70
Tweets by @ICTFC

In the 2nd half, a couple of minutes before Celtic's 1st goal, Alan "Biscuits" Preston on Radio Scotland says that if Inverness could finish, they'd be out of sight! .... Why is it that we have more midfielders than you can shake a stick at ... and less strikers than players with Williams as a surname?

To be honest I'm more disappointed that County, St J and Utd all snatched late wins in games where draws might have been better for us.  Utd, by the way have taken 7 points from their last 4 games which is considerably better than any of the teams in 4th to 11th place.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Game over. This is what happens when you don't take your chances.... Too much pressure on Storey

He has 1 goal in his last 12 games, and none in the last 7.  Even Dani Lopez was more prolific than that!

Storey's still been a big asset to the team in that time, but really, no other team would persist so long with something that wasn't working - yet we find ourselves with no credible alternative. Very unlucky that Fisher got injured so soon after signing.  At least we have been getting a decent number of goals from midfield.

• Agree 1

I thought the scoreline was the main disappointment for today's game. I would say tactically we were absolutely spot on and as a critic of Yogi against Celtic(I think he gives them too much respect at times for the team they are now)I thought he really got it right today. Team were solid but ultimately lost the game in the first 15 minutes of the second half and the scoreline was buffered by the quality of Griffiths. Roberts caused them problems getting himself a beauty of a chance to give us the lead with a 1 on 1 with Gordon but fluffed it and arguably his decision making caused a 4 v 2 attack to fall flat. Warren had a free header quite early but failed to hit the target. 

Celtic were poor. We were the better team for 55 minutes of that game but was just a bad day for us in front of goal. Performance was there and on another day it is never 3-0. Celtic Park really is a dump but luckily for us the city is a top night out. Not worried for Dundee.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, cif73 said:

In the 2nd half, a couple of minutes before Celtic's 1st goal, Alan "Biscuits" Preston on Radio Scotland says that if Inverness could finish, they'd be out of sight! .... Why is it that we have more midfielders than you can shake a stick at ... and less strikers than players with Williams as a surname?

By and large I agree with you, but I think the tactics were decent for today's game. Celtic play a high line, and what we did was to press them right across the midfleld, try to stop them playing and take control of that area, then outpace them when we were in possession. It worked so well that we threw them right off their game and controlled it from about 15 mins in until half time. Warren's glaring chance came from this tactic, as did Roberts' early in the second half. Had Roberts scored that, then I think we'd be talking about a win or at least a draw, as Celtic looked very uncertain until they scored. Unfortunately, once they did, their confidence seemed to grow as rapidly as ours diminished, and they largely strolled the rest of it, although 3-0 wasn't really a fair reflection of the game overall.

Long term, though, I think our lack of out-and-out strikers could make the difference between, say, 7th and 4th.   

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, alternative maryhill said:

By and large I agree with you, but I think the tactics were decent for today's game. Celtic play a high line, and what we did was to press them right across the midfleld, try to stop them playing and take control of that area, then outpace them when we were in possession. It worked so well that we threw them right off their game and controlled it from about 15 mins in until half time. Warren's glaring chance came from this tactic, as did Roberts' early in the second half. Had Roberts scored that, then I think we'd be talking about a win or at least a draw, as Celtic looked very uncertain until they scored. Unfortunately, once they did, their confidence seemed to grow as rapidly as ours diminished, and they largely strolled the rest of it, although 3-0 wasn't really a fair reflection of the game overall.

Long term, though, I think our lack of out-and-out strikers could make the difference between, say, 7th and 4th.   

Good considered analysis as always Alternative Maryhill :)

To be disappointed after a game at Cellic Park must be a good sign. Where did he play Storey and Roberts. I didn't like the tactic of playing Storey wide and Roberts through the middle. Storey to begin with was an unknown quantity but now other teams have sussed him. I still think that we suffer from lapses in concentration at the back as much as a weakness in finishing teams off. It is also interesting to note the apathy of playing Cellic away !!

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

To be disappointed after a game at Cellic Park must be a good sign. Where did he play Storey and Roberts. I didn't like the tactic of playing Storey wide and Roberts through the middle. Storey to begin with was an unknown quantity but now other teams have sussed him. I still think that we suffer from lapses in concentration at the back as much as a weakness in finishing teams off. It is also interesting to note the apathy of playing Cellic away !!

Neither played in a particularly advanced position - at times it almost looked like we were playing 4-2-4, with our forward midfielders playing just in front of the Celtic defence and trying to pressurise them into mistakes that someone could run onto, or trying to pass our way through them when we were in possession. When Storey and/or Roberts did break forward then yeah, Storey was tending to pull out wide towards the right, and Roberts was all over the place, but in a good way. At times he reminded me of Mckay in the way he was willing to receive the ball with his back to goal, and in the way he tried to pull defenders out of position. Much less of an out-and-out striker, obviously, but I think he's a good addition who will cause a lot of probems. Whether this formation works against a team that plays a deeper defensive line than Celtic remains to be seen, however.

I should mention, by the way, that Vigurs had one of his best games for us - looked a lot more dynamic than in recent games, used the ball well and seemed to enjoy the greater space Celtic gave him - and that when Horner broke forward, he looked tricky and willing to take players on. I still wonder if there is any chance of Yogi trying Horner in a wide role ahead of Raven at some point, but then that doesn't really fit in with the way Hughes seems to prefer to set up. 

• Agree 1

The line up to me looked like - 

Fon Williams

Horner Warren Devine Tremarco

Tansey

Polworth-------------Vigurs

Draper

Roberts---------------------Storey

Draper would often go ahead of Roberts and Storey in order to pressure the Celtic back line, with Storey and Roberts folding back into the wings of the midfield.  Worked really well on the whole and I too was impressed by Vigurs and Horner.  The only change I'd like to see would be Storey and Roberts swapping sides as I think Storey works better on his natural side.  

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic