No more Merger talk

DEANO96

For those who are still bitter about the merger all those years ago you can now go and watch Inverness thistle and Caledonian ft again as both have teams entering the summer amateur leagues! 

Inverness thistle is the old scotrail team and I'm not sure about the Caledonian one! 

So now, Inverness Caledonian thistle can look forward a great and big future without all the negative talk about 2 previous highland league team! And the fans can move on too :ictscarf:

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 6

I applaud your intentions, DEANO96, with your posts and enthusiasm - and I don't want to moan - but....at 20 years-old, you weren't born when the merger happened!
I'm also not suggesting you can't have an opinion on it, but you've only ever known ICT as a club...and I can understand it must be boring and frustrating to hear us 'oldies' referring to it!

Obviously, football existed before that. For many of us, brought up visiting both Telford Street and Kingsmills, it still is, and will always be, a sore point.
One cannot lose their affiliation to the club they initially supported - and I'm sure you'd still fondly recollect Inverness Caledonian Thistle if they were part of a Highland United FC in future years, and It would be illogical to discount ICTs achievements (pre-Highland United merger) as having no significance to you.
You must respect that supporting Inverness Thistle or Caledonian was a major aspect of 'our' growing up and was part of one's identity, in a then, much-smaller Inverness.

Granted, some have embraced the club as simply 'Inverness' - but for others. it remains a 'waste' of two historic clubs, regardless of the success of the merged team.
An opportunity arose; and the time was ripe to 'go for it' - a single Inverness club was always going to be successful with an application in the then climate.

But in a relatively small time-scale, since the clubs merged, the goalposts have moved.
Any team can now progress on merit. I've no doubt that Caledonian and Inverness Thistle would both eventually, individually, have made it into the SPFL. 
Just gutting!

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

No you're right I wasn't, and I don't know what it was like for those who supported these teams so I can't judge how people felt about it.

But unfortunately I'm one of these young a***holes that likes people to move on from the past! And it winds me up to hell when people mention this merger and more so when I say "Caley" or "the jags" and someone tells me it's "Inverness" or "Caley thistle". 

So as much as people will hate me for it and disagree, the club and the fans have to move on from then and only look forward! You may still feel upset or angry about the merger but like everything else in the past...its history. 

now I haven't meant to upset anyone about this topic but there is one or two out there who won't talk about anything other than the merger so for those people they now have these new clubs to go and watch! 

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 9

Totally agree with what Sneckboy says tbh. Pre merger part of this clubs history whether folk like it or not. Although ICT through and through now I will be Caley till I die.....

Get what you are saying Deano96 tho. Rehashing of the same old issues time and time again is just boring sorry.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, DEANO96 said:

No you're right I wasn't, and I don't know what it was like for those who supported these teams so I can't judge how people felt about it.

But unfortunately I'm one of these young a***holes that likes people to move on from the past! And it winds me up to hell when people mention this merger and more so when I say "Caley" or "the jags" and someone tells me it's "Inverness" or "Caley thistle". 

So as much as people will hate me for it and disagree, the club and the fans have to move on from then and only look forward! You may still feel upset or angry about the merger but like everything else in the past...its history. 

now I haven't meant to upset anyone about this topic but there is one or two out there who won't talk about anything other than the merger so for those people they now have these new clubs to go and watch! 

You are perfectly free to move on from the past. We all have that's why we support the merged team but you are in no position to dictate to those of us who spent years or even decades standing on the terracing at Kingsmills and Telford Street that we should forget or ignore the past. ICT is now in our hearts us oldies just as much as the rest but young man we will continue to nurse our memories of two clubs both dating back to the 1880s there is nothing incompatible about looking to the future while, at the same time, respecting the past.

By the way, this is a largely friendly forum of like minded people so nobody is likely to 'hate you' for your views as much as some of us may disagree.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Move on from the merger, therefore make thread bringing up the merger? Ok.

Bang on Fraz! But what the original poster needs to remember is that Caley Thistle is the latest stage in the evolution of organised football in Inverness which goes right back to the 1880s and possibly before. The OP was as yet unborn even when Thistle and Caley played out their latter games in the 1990s but he has to appreciate that for over a century these clubs were at the centre of the continuous thread which very many people still regard as highly important although there will be some who are not of an age to be able to do so. Thistle and Caley winning the Qualifying Cup or beating Kilmarnock or Clyde in the Scottish Cup is part of exactly the same historical thread as Caley Thistle winning the Scottish Cup.

This awareness of Thistle and Caley will not survive forever and in perhaps 60 years there will be no one left who still remembers them. Active memory of them will by then have literally died out, just as there is no one left now who remembers Crown and Union which were partners in the process which formed Thistle in the 19th century. In the early 20th century it would have been just as valid for their former fans to have marked their past as that is for Thistle's and Caley's now.

OCG is bang on the money with what she says too, while Sneckboy makes a fundamental point which begs the question of Deano - in the event of the formation of a Highland United would you want to ignore the act that ICT and its already proud history ever existed?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Well I was actually going to steer clear of this but have to respond to some of the total bowl licks being spouted by the anti merger spewed - who react more seriously to the mention of "merger" than anyone else. I suspect the OP was more done in a light hearted manner than a serious statement. The peeple who now follow ICT after supporting the old regimes usually have banter about the old days - and it was always banter in those days as well. Many have decided to stay away. And as fer CB - well his bitterness will not affect history. 

But as fer Deano - feck aff ya Jeggie *******. 

• Disagree 1

I'm starting to get a bit tired of this attitude that the merger is something to forget, something to cover up and something to feel embarrassed by.  The merger is an interesting historical event that took place here and that's something to be remembered.  Mergers are nothing new on football, but ours is one of the few that's happened (probably worldwide) in the last few decades and it's undoubtedly been a big success.  That's something to be celebrated......as are the achievements of the two clubs that came before.

• Agree 7

52 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Well I was actually going to steer clear of this but have to respond to some of the total bowl licks being spouted by the anti merger spewed - who react more seriously to the mention of "merger" than anyone else. I suspect the OP was more done in a light hearted manner than a serious statement. The peeple who now follow ICT after supporting the old regimes usually have banter about the old days - and it was always banter in those days as well. Many have decided to stay away. And as fer CB - well his bitterness will not affect history. 

But as fer Deano - feck aff ya Jeggie *******. 

When are you going to have a merger with Dougal or has it already happened.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RednBlackComeback said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you have more videos like this? There used to be a channel on youtube called Caleyclips which had loads of games from our early years, anyone know what happened to them? 

As for the statement the OP made, I used to have that attitude and cringe every time I heard the mere mention of the merger. But after reading Going Ballistic and then Against all odds, I believe we should be doing a lot more as a club to embrace the two former clubs. Both Caledonian and Inverness Thistle were institutions of Highland football with independent and successful histories. I remember reading footballgroundfrenzy twitter page, they had a magazine extract from 1990 claiming that Caledonian were the "Greatest Non-League Football Club in Britain"........That is some accolade! Therefore, although ICT were formed in 1994, our story really began in 1885! 

Also Sneckboy made a point that we are the only merger in the past few decades. I disagree, there have been countless mergers in non league football ie Rushden & Diamonds, Hinckley United, Lothian Thistle Hutchieson Vale(stupid name) etc. In fact the first two are now extinct and have been replaced by phoenix clubs. This further details the fact that our merger, has been an undoubted marvelous achievement. No other merger in Britain (at least) has the same success/fairytale story that we do. Again we should remember, embrace and celebrate this more often! :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ForzaCaley said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you have more videos like this? There used to be a channel on youtube called Caleyclips which had loads of games from our early years, anyone know what happened to them? 

As for the statement the OP made, I used to have that attitude and cringe every time I heard the mere mention of the merger. But after reading Going Ballistic and then Against all odds, I believe we should be doing a lot more as a club to embrace the two former clubs. Both Caledonian and Inverness Thistle were institutions of Highland football with independent and successful histories. I remember reading footballgroundfrenzy twitter page, they had a magazine extract from 1990 claiming that Caledonian were the "Greatest Non-League Football Club in Britain"........That is some accolade! Therefore, although ICT were formed in 1994, our story really began in 1885! 

Also Sneckboy made a point that we are the only merger in the past few decades. I disagree, there have been countless mergers in non league football ie Rushden & Diamonds, Hinckley United, Lothian Thistle Hutchieson Vale(stupid name) etc. In fact the first two are now extinct and have been replaced by phoenix clubs. This further details the fact that our merger, has been an undoubted marvelous achievement. No other merger in Britain (at least) has the same success/fairytale story that we do. Again we should remember, embrace and celebrate this more often! :ictscarf:

I didn't mention that in my post, Forza, it was Renegade!

1 hour ago, ForzaCaley said:

That one's not my video. Though I do have another couple (last ever derby, and Jags last ever game) but as yet haven't managed to transfer them to pc/dvd.

4 hours ago, ForzaCaley said:

I knew we weren't the only ones, but I'd still say it was a fair uncommon occurrence in the past few decades.  After all, Aberdeen's and Motherwell's etc. took place well well beyond living memory.  I'd say though, the only other merger from say the last 30 years that's been more successful than ICT is probably Copenhagen!

Edited by Renegade