Hibernian -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

23 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

I saw it like this as well, with Warren on the right, Devine in the middle and Tremarco on the left of the back three. However, Polworth was deployed as the farthest right of our 5 midfielders, which I don't think suits him as well as a more central role, and as the first half wore on he did find himself having to cover the right back position as Hibs dominated and kept us in our own half. If we were to try that formation again, I'd actually like to see Horner in that role with Polworth inside him, as Horner looks more like a natural winger, but I do think that this would make us very vulnerable at the back.  

Agree entirely, saved me the bother.

I had a feeling it was going to finish one a piece. Should have put a bet on it. So I'm pleased were still in the Cup and get to play them again on our home soil. 

When Fisher played in his debut he gave the defence a torrid time playing off the last man.

Me thinks we need to be a tad sharper that we stay on side when the balls coming it's a shame that the build up play comes to nothing when it finishes up with being offside unless it's a dummy non interfering  run whilst someone else collects.

• Agree 1

I am here in defence of Miles Storey who is not having the best of times.

However I am still convinced he is a class act but we have managed to destroy him as a footballer with our tactics. I pray he will still want to be here in the summer, if signing him remains a possibility? Quite frankly IMHO we have dragged him down to our level.......

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

However I am still convinced he is a class act but we have managed to destroy him as a footballer with our tactics. I pray he will still want to be here in the summer, if signing him remains a possibility? Quite frankly IMHO we have dragged him down to our level.......

Agree, Miles is a very committed player with great potential who has not been used effectively and may be lacking a wee bit in confidence. I sincerely hope we manage to sign him up for at least a couple of years in the Summer.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Agree, Miles is a very committed player with great potential who has not been used effectively and may be lacking a wee bit in confidence. I sincerely hope we manage to sign him up for at least a couple of years in the Summer.

That would be good he's another Adam Rooney in the making.

We are so negative with back and sideways passing,  the ball is moved so slowly hibs always had time to regroup and defend only when we increased the pace after equalising did we see hibs start to crumble. Constantly players check runs to pass inside, we are so narrow in the middle of the park with only storey and Roberts going wide when they after re the men who should be central.

Disappointed by how many times storey gets caught offside though, with his pace he should play the line better as he will still be favourite to the ball. Lucky to get a draw but we need to play better and show a bit more urgency and creativity 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Totally in agreement with this.

Getting caught offside is not always the striker's fault - an extra touch from the passer can be enough to make a good pass into an offside. I'm not excusing Storey completely, but our unpredictable tactics in midfield and at the back must have been difficult to read for our own players! "Is this going to be punted into the channel?...no -square again....now? Nope. Must be this time.....I'm going, aaaaggggghh, he's taken an extra touch and I've gone too early!"

The opposite argument is that his runs are too straight: Bending his run gives a split-second more leeway should the pass be delayed.

There again, he's a pro footballer and I haven't really got a Scooby - just repeat what some pundit says!

42 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Getting caught offside is not always the striker's fault - an extra touch from the passer can be enough to make a good pass into an offside. I'm not excusing Storey completely, but our unpredictable tactics in midfield and at the back must have been difficult to read for our own players! "Is this going to be punted into the channel?...no -square again....now? Nope. Must be this time.....I'm going, aaaaggggghh, he's taken an extra touch and I've gone too early!"

The opposite argument is that his runs are too straight: Bending his run gives a split-second more leeway should the pass be delayed.

There again, he's a pro footballer and I haven't really got a Scooby - just repeat what some pundit says!

I agree entirely he needs to run square until the pass is released then change his angle towards goal as he has the pace to skin most defences . Whilst he holds ball up well he doesn't cut inside early enough to create havoc and running to the bye line at best wins a corner 

Well we are still in the cup and IF we beat Hibs - at home - we have avoided the Old Filth and the Arabs were clearly the best option, as they are probably saying about us or Hibs. Prior to the game I was really positive and optimistic. I had been talking to some Hibees on the train and they were staying that a lot of their mates were staying away. They were of the opinion that they would be getting thrashed. They also clearly dislike Mr Stokes as well. Pre-game in the Iona the spirits were flowing and “highs” all abounding. And for fifteen minutes that appeared to be the case but then it dawned that we had eight Ray Wilkin crabs in action. I am all for experimenting with systems but not away from home in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final. Personally I felt that was a sign of disrespect to Hibs. I feel that we totally underestimated them, we were cocky and we got what we deserved. Well in fact we didn’t – we didn’t get beat – but God knows how not. Perhaps I should also have read the stats for the cups this season as Hibs have knocked out Aberdire, St Jones Town, the Arabs and the Jam Tarts.

We were the better side early doors but it was the side to side, tippy tappy style that I detest. Pretty patterns but NO penetration whatsoever.  3-5-2 simply did not work. I wonder whether it was to accommodate Tansey, Vigurs and Draper in midfield. Tansey played too deep, Vigurs did not get the time and Draper was wasted. To me they are three players of similar ilk who all want the ball. Polworth never really went wide and spent a lot of time covering for the back four and our intrepid central midfield. How many times did Danny Williams get the ball but instead og going at defenders stopped and played a ball in to our midfield trio. And how may times was Storey caught offside – guilty mostly of not watching the line.

Two shots on target in a Cup Quarter Final is absolutely ridiculous. Hibs had 5 on target and despite our sideways passing Hibs had the bulk of the possession. And even when we were ascendancy Hibs could have scored in the 9th minute when Gray and Fontaine produced great stops from Fon Williams and what looked like a third save of a goalbound effort in the melee that followed. And then four minutes later Keatings had the ball in the net but he did look offside.  Following this we appeared to play a bit of side to side and either hoof or deliver a dreadful last ball. Polworth was the first to go in to the book and again our disciplinary problem of needless cautions may end up with us having half a team for the remaining games IF we progress.

I had hope that the second half would produce an immediate change in tactics but it all stayed the same. Keatings had another shot on target, the eejits shouted fer a penalty against Devine and, of all people Stokes started the move to their goal. Keatings finished things off for his first goal in sixteen games. I thought that Tansey, Warren and Storey were beginning to lose the plot and we were lucky that one of them did not get a red card.

And then a miracle happened. A fan from the away support made a Van Gaal like message on his notepad, did a bit of origami and fired it into the Leith sky. It landed next to Yogi who handed it to Polworth. He read it and it started “get Polworth off” so he handed it to Warren. And that was the turnaround. We ended the game better although it was still end to end. And then fortunately we came up with a divine move. Lets give credit to the two substitutes who did both look lively. Horner produces the first overlap of the day, Roberts gets his first decent pass of the day, lays it off to MBUYI-MUTUMBO and goal and GOLD erupted on the terraces.

So we live to fight another day and we have Hibs away to Spain and hopefully going to penalties in the League Cup Final. They will have their missing stars back but I am not sure if that is and advantage or not. And the 800+ away support heaved a massive sigh of relief. 9800 altogether was a very disappointing turn out and I bet there were quite a few Hibees who wished that they had turned up, even if it was to boo Anthony Stokes. And as for Crawford Allan ? Well at least he managed to maintain the performance status of Scottish refereeing and the main stand official must have been sponsored by Specsavers. It was all Hibs bias to begin with but at least he managed to even things up later. Lets hope for a better performance and a better result on March 16th and back to our second home on Sunday 17th April. Better to end on a Yogi quote - "I felt we were lacking a little bit up top but we have great team spirit and effort and I can't ask for anymore." No **** Sherlock.

SMILEYMOMETER: Out of 10

Fon Williams (7) – My MOM as he basically kept us in the Cup.

Polworth (5) – Completely played out of position and his safety zone. Almost swopped with Warren in the second half which was not tactical.

Warren (6) – Some may say Captain Fantastic and that is true to a degree but his “gung-ho” attitude in the second half left the defence stranded – and Polworth filling in – and could have easily got a red. He may well miss another trip to Hampden

Devine (6) – Thought he had a good game and at least he stuck to his task – but again he probably had no choice.

Tremarco (6) – I actually thought that he did OK. He was stranded as well at times but did not let us down.

Roberts (6) – Really felt sorry for him as his movement was good and he must have been screaming about the number of times that he made space and the ball went sideways.

Tansey (4) – Sorry but he was played too deep but he made no impact on the game whatsoever.

Draper (4) – Well probably played too far forward and bypassed.

Vigurs (5) – Probably the best of the central midfield three but that is nothing to be proud of.

Danny Williams (5) – As soon as he remembers what driving forward and taking defenders on is about the better

Storey (3) – Sorry but I thought that he was terrible. He looked as if he couldn’t run after 75 minutes and I was amazed that he wasn’t hooked. His vitality appears to have been sapped as has his confidence which may be linked to the goal drought. Or is he carrying an injury.

For obvious reasons I will give Mutombo and Horner 7 each.

On 6 March 2016 at 4:12 PM, Alex MacLeod said:

Tansey on second yellow so likely out of replay. D. Williams, Draper, Roberts, Mutombo, Devine, Polworth and Warren all on one card

Plus Vigurs according to the stats on the ICT website. 

First 10 mins I thought this is going to be good, next 78 mins total dross, the team seemed to have no idea what to do, there seemed to be no shape, Why  I have to say but normal for us.

Why we don't play a normal formation is beyond me. This 3 5 1 and a bit,  totally baffles me. 4 4 2. at least the players would know what role was required of them.

9 minutes ago, bigman said:

First 10 mins I thought this is going to be good, next 78 mins total dross, the team seemed to have no idea what to do, there seemed to be no shape, Why  I have to say but normal for us.

Why we don't play a normal formation is beyond me. This 3 5 1 and a bit,  totally baffles me. 4 4 2. at least the players would know what role was required of them.

The trouble is that I do think they know what role is required of them and that they are required to stick to it come what may.

More flexibility and discretion on the part of the players is required.

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

The trouble is that I do think they know what role is required of them and that they are required to stick to it come what may.

More flexibility and discretion on the part of the players is required.

Agree Kingsmills, the players have to take some responsibility to change things on the park but this seldom happens now and not just with us. A case of being over coached perhaps and not wanting to come out of their comfort zone perhaps.

Bit of topic but Arsenal v hull on telly tonight when champions league on.i was told no football was allowed to be shown when champions league was on.this is a fa cup replay like our game against hibs will be so why can our game be televised?

4 minutes ago, ictbob said:

Bit of topic but Arsenal v hull on telly tonight when champions league on.i was told no football was allowed to be shown when champions league was on.this is a fa cup replay like our game against hibs will be so why can our game be televised?

Has it ever been confirmed that any of the TV companies would want to broadcast it live in opposition to Champions League matches ?. That might be the simple answer.

Robbie neilson said he was disappointed the hibs replay in the last round couldn't be televised when it sold out due to the champions league being on.but I don't no of any rule just what I've read.

It will not be televised due to UEFA blackout rules that dictate no games can be shown on TV when the Champions League is on.  

Apparently Inverness CT -V- Hibs and the likes of Accrington Stanley -V- Wycombe Wanderers or Leatherhead -V- Bognor Regis might have an impact on the attendance at the Barcelona -V- Arsenal or Bayern -V- Juventus games ! although this article does make interesting reading despite the source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-cup-blackout-could-been-7514305#S12qwCLxoU9bJC1p.97

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic