St Jones Town - Match Preview

Placed in a "new topic" due to indolence and memory impairment of a certain ageing administrator  :laugh:

Didn’t we have a lovely time the day we went to St Jones Town ? Well the answer is a bit of a yes and a no. The stadium itself and the facilities are above average, the stewarding is usually friendly but it is not in a location where train travel is the preference. If you are not travelling by the roads it is a nightmare. Social club and local hostelries are rather dull as well. But there again there is the football to entertain you.

According to the stats we have won only 3 out of our 14 meetings in Perf. A worrying statistic is that we have only conjured up 10 goals in those 14 matches, an average of 0.71 per game. Although that sounds about right for this season !!

We have had two draws and a loss since the Gary Warren winner in February 2014. We have also lost 4 points because of last minute lapses in two of those ties. Lets hope we keep our concentration tonight and not throw away any vital points. If we beat them by two clear goals we will leap frog them and back into the Top Six. With Hamilton at home coming up on Saturday four to six points would be a heaven sent and maybe ease the nerves for the Hibees cup replay. Lets hope we can go somewhere meeting our record 3-0 win in Perth and avoid the record 4-0 drubbing.

Games at McDiarmid Park will last in the memory of many. The Challenge Cup win over Airdrie and the final defeat by Dundee – although the first 45 was possibly as good an ICT performance as there ever has been. My favourite game was the 2-1 win in August 2003 when we were treated to the David Bingham show plus a classic goal and celebration by Stevie Hislop. We had a remarkable away record in 2010 when we remained defeated for the whole year but went down 1-0 on 02/01/2011 in Perf.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/009__034__features__Match_winnners_Steve_Hislop_left_and_David_Bingham_right_with_their_Inverness_CT_manager_John_Robertson__1301061945_standard.jpg

But of course the favourite St Jones Town memory will be of 15/05/2004 and the helicopter trophy arrival at the Dump after goals from Ritchie, Bingham and Wilson. Or perhaps fond memories of a defeat in the Alan Hercher Testimonial in 1997 when we had to loan them Fridgie for the night as they forgot to bring a keeper. Doubt if the same fate will befall Ryan Esson tonight.

Lets all hope that we return to playing four at the back tonight and stop playing like obsessive crabs. It will be interesting to see if Horner and Mutumbo return after their super-sub performances. I do feel that Miles Storey needs to be rested. And will we finally see Meekings and Vincent back on the bench.

Prediction – always seems to be low scoring affairs of late – only 6 goals in the last 4 matches. My heart says 1-0 to us but my head says 1-1. I would gladly take either of those.

• Agree 2

Saint Johnstone have won just twice since the start of December and still find themselves in the top six. Incredible stuff. I wonder if we can keep our first clean sheet of the season away from home (league games obviously). I think I read somewhere that Tremarco is suspended?

Hope we abandon the three at the back and would expect that, given injuries, suspensions etc. we will go with something like:

Fon Williams

Horner Warren Devine Williams

Tansey Draper Vigurs

Polworth                                       Roberts

Storey

I've almost certainly forgotten someone really obvious who should be playing. EDIT: Polworth! That's who I forgot.

Edited by RiG

4 minutes ago, Sneckboy said:

Tremarco's available for this game - but is suspended for the Hamilton match on Saturday.

Cheers. In that case drop Storey and play Tremarco up front.

Nobody think Meekings might be in with a shout to start at right back? He was on the bench on Sunday. I don't really thin that's his best position, but given Raven's absence, he might be the best we have there!

27 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Nobody think Meekings might be in with a shout to start at right back? He was on the bench on Sunday. I don't really thin that's his best position, but given Raven's absence, he might be the best we have there!

Fairly certain he wasn't on the bench on Sunday...still out with the knee problem

10 minutes ago, qwerty11 said:

Fairly certain he wasn't on the bench on Sunday...still out with the knee problem

Correct - Hughes had said earlier in the week that both Meekings and Vincent may be available for Sunday, but neither was on the bench.

Edited by ilpadrino

15 minutes ago, ilpadrino said:

Correct - Hughes had said earlier in the week that both Meekings and Vincent may be available for Sunday, but neither was on the bench.

Ah - OK. However, he might yet make it for tonight: he's obviously close. Maybe not for a starting position, but he might provide an option later in the game if fit.

Just heading out to the game, and I can't say I'm confident given the number of players out - the lack of pace and creativity upfront looks like being it's worst ever.

But you never know....

:ictscarf: