Inverness CT -V- Hamilton

Scotty

Gash result and pants entertainment. Our only hope of points before the split is if DU have already thrown in the towel: Even then, we'd fail to score. Hibs is an irrelevance - staying up is absolutely vital.

Another shambles of a performance against an equally poor Hamilton. The difference between us and Accies, is that they took advantage of thier limited chances....we didn't. !! It was good to see Foran on for the last 20 mins. 

Edited by MuirtownJaggy
  • Agree 1

Hamilton are an utterly dreadful outfit. In my opinion the worst team in the league. Everyone knows they niggle, foul, dive and time waste. We've now lost twice at home to them, add in losing twice to killie and not having beaten Utd once. We have a mountain to climb and I'm not sure that we look up for it.

Can't keep clean sheets and can't score. Not a combination for success.

very very poor again today.

• Agree 2

Today was foul, the ref was foul, the players were foul, every bit of this afternoon was *****. 10 years ago, we'd be relegated by now so it's just as well the league standard is p*ss poor. 

I'll be quite honest too, going down might again let us start again. 

When it comes to talking about players well there was no real positives. Fon Williams looked nervous (again), Horner got forward, never created much and was caught out of place far to often. Devine just wasn't comfortable, wedderburn isn't a CB end of. Williams was same as Horner. 

Draper was poor, Tansey couldn't do anything apart from pass sideways apart from one or two diagonals! Vigurs I though done okay but again isn't the standard we expect and I hope he leaves in the summer! Roberts was slow and did nothing, polworth tried and failed all day long! 

Hughes, well he doesn't look like he's played football before...he was undoubtedly the worst player so far this season! Can't believe I'll say it but D. Lopez looked more interested. He never challenged for a header, was to slow at releasing the ball and just didn't look any good! 

Foran actually looked interested when he came on, covered a fair bit of ground and if he's fit he has to start vs Hibs! 

Storey never done anything and we never used a final sub surprise surprise. 

We have to hope that county take hibs to pens tomorrow and if hibs win, get so hammered they'll be legless on Wednesday! Can't see us doing anything otherwise! 

Really not looking forward to next few games, which I've never said before. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

contrary to most on here, I've seen us play a lot worse, however our inability to score is worrying and Accies ability to time waste is legendary. We created a number of decent opportunities but got nothing on target. It's a tad disconcerting.

• Agree 1

Wasn't at the game, so these are more general points. 

The hibs game isn't so much an irrelevance as an unnecessary distraction. We have a serious job of work on our hands regarding survival. 

With nine games to play, we need to start winning again, but it is hard to see how that can happen as we seem incapable of scoring. Alternatively, if we didn't lose again then that would be more than enough, I reckon, but we can't keep a clean sheet either. 

The saving grace may well be that we aren't one of the worst two teams, but unless we start to play like we actually believe that then the run in will be at best bum-squeaking and at worst could see us end up in the championship. 

Oh, and a punishing 120 minutes with a multitude of injuries and red-cards wouldn't go amiss between County and Hibs tomorrow. 

Defensively we were OK considering makeshift nature.

Drapes sold us by loosing the ball (he was really poor today) but most baffling thing was leaving Hughes on. Offered nothing and only got in the way. We removed pretty much the only two players who had been making forward runs!

Key stat is in spite of a number of shots none were on target. If you don't hit the target you don't score strangely.

4 minutes ago, Tree said:

Defensively we were OK considering makeshift nature.

Drapes sold us by loosing the ball (he was really poor today) but most baffling thing was leaving Hughes on. Offered nothing and only got in the way. We removed pretty much the only two players who had been making forward runs!

Key stat is in spite of a number of shots none were on target. If you don't hit the target you don't score strangely.

But I'm sure we passed the ball about a lot. 

Was Latapy the brains of the outfit? What has happened to the Christie money? Was I mistaken in deciding to commit to the replay ticket and 2 hour round trip before today's match?

Today was really gash. If we can't score against a poor Hamilton team at home we are in deep doo-doo.

Every player seems to develop altitude sickness when they reach the final third.

The only positive was Foran coming on near the end. He has to start v Hibs if fit. Everyone is scared to consider shoot on sight when the opportunity arises.

14 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Was Latapy the brains of the outfit? What has happened to the Christie money? Was I mistaken in deciding to commit to the replay ticket and 2 hour round trip before today's match?

Today was really gash. If we can't score against a poor Hamilton team at home we are in deep doo-doo.

Every player seems to develop altitude sickness when they reach the final third.

The only positive was Foran coming on near the end. He has to start v Hibs if fit. Everyone is scared to consider shoot on sight when the opportunity arises.

Latapy- probably

Spent on signings who are/ were useless plus a huge hike in Hughes salary so not much left I suspect .You will only find out on Wednesday but if the team turns up and fit players and those back from suspension can control their wild play may be the start of our season although there is not much left 

My big concern is that successfully fighting a relegation battle requires a certain style and mentality: Tigerish defending, quick transition and snatch goals and points from any scraps you can get in the opposition box. This requires good crossing and a decent centre forward. Trying to play passing football and score perfect goals is suicidal at this end of the league.

So, will Hughes abandon the "keep possession at all costs" to save our season and would the players be able to adapt anyway? My guess is he won't, in which case I'm afraid we, and he, deserve what will surely be coming our way. Sometimes you have to put principles to one side for the greater good. The time is now - 7 points will be enough, but they'll likely need to be scrapped for and won ugly. Foran might just be the man!

• Agree 1

I'm so down I can't even bring myself to raise a wee smile at this shoddy bit of BBC reporting:

After a forgettable first half, Carlton Morris scored the only goal of the game with a low shot across Michael McGovern which went in off the far post.

1 minute ago, qwerty11 said:

Lots of opinions and theories flying about but one thing I can tell you is that our poor form is certainly nothing to do with the absence of Russell Latapy :lol: 

From the few things that I have heard about the Latapy saga and also from while he was still at the club, the conclusion I have come to is much the same as yours.  The success of last season and the failings of this have nothing to do with him.

10 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I'm so down I can't even bring myself to raise a wee smile at this shoddy bit of BBC reporting:

After a forgettable first half, Carlton Morris scored the only goal of the game with a low shot across Michael McGovern which went in off the far post.

Dowden's reporting is pretty much always gash. Waste of licence payers money giving him a salary. 

36 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

Latapy- probably

Spent on signings who are/ were useless plus a huge hike in Hughes salary so not much left I suspect .You will only find out on Wednesday but if the team turns up and fit players and those back from suspension can control their wild play may be the start of our season although there is not much left 

Scared to ask what kind of hike Hughes got. Despite being the incumbent when we won our first major trophy, a good proportion of the support seems fairly non-plussed over the prospect of Utd tempting him away last October. 

Terrible performance. The football is so dull, we pass the ball sideways and backwards and hardly create any chances. When Hamilton scored you got the feeling we would never win the game because there was not a chance we would score two goals let alone one. You would expect a reaction and some urgency after the goal but it just didnt happen. 

Also why is Ryan Williams not getting involved more. I thought he was a creative midielder so why not take him on today when we were in desperate need of creativity. Why sign him just to sit on the bench. Liam Hughes didnt offer much so why not put Storey up top and Williams in midfield. On a positive note it was good to see Ritchie Foran back, lets hope he can stay injury free, he could be a big player for us in our remaining games.

Terrible result, I've been staying optimistic and putting it down to bad form, but this was a must win in terms of keeping our hopes of a top 6 finish alive and staying clear of that dreaded play-off place. 

Just a theory, but has Tansey's drop in form coincided with his proposed move to Aberdeen? It's not hard to imagine how that could influence a players mindset and performance. He was outstanding last year and I believe he's one of the most gifted centre mid's in the league in terms of his range of passing, but has looked poor of late. 

We can defend Hughes by saying that injuries have played a major part in this seasons slump, but it is blatantly obvious that playing Vigurs along with Tansey and Draper does not work and a tactic change is required. A tricky, agile attacking midfielder with the ability to thread the ball through the gaps in a defence wouldn't go a miss.  

• Agree 1

bit of an overreaction on here but it is definitely very worrying now. By the way some are talking we are already down but I think Killie will be our saving grace. Who says the cup is a distraction? We win on wed and the fight for places may help our league form and will stop the rot which may just save our season. But the lack of goals is seriously worrying but we have what we have we just have to find away to claw ourselves to safety. I agree though that we have to move away from this possession style and go more direct. The radio made it sound like we had a lot of chances near the end so maybe things might change but we need it sooner rather than later.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, gingerjaggy said:

bit of an overreaction on here but it is definitely very worrying now. By the way some are talking we are already down but I think Killie will be our saving grace. Who says the cup is a distraction? We win on wed and the fight for places may help our league form and will stop the rot which may just save our season. But the lack of goals is seriously worrying but we have what we have we just have to find away to claw ourselves to safety. I agree though that we have to move away from this possession style and go more direct. The radio made it sound like we had a lot of chances near the end so maybe things might change but we need it sooner rather than later.

Good to be positive and I agree with much of what you say but your radio reference sounds like you were saved the borefest of attending so you can't really appreciate just how lame it was

3 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Good to be positive and I agree with much of what you say but your radio reference sounds like you were saved the borefest of attending so you can't really appreciate just how lame it was

The first 70 mins sounded like it but then we had chances in the last 20 and I appreciate I wasn't there so I don't know. I suppose one positive is we cant get much worse I hope.

According to the BBC match report stats, in our last 3 games we have mustered a grand total of 3 shots on target, ie 1 per game. None of these games were against good or in-form teams. I know this is telling us nothing we don't really know already, but it's a pretty disgraceful stat all the same.

• Agree 4

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic