John Hughes has to be sacked ASAP!!!

Guest Shaun

35 minutes ago, Laurence said:

Injuries are due to our style of play. ( Good English may be owing to our style of play )

If you dally on the ball and kick sideways the opposition know what you are up too and close you down. This means they catch you with heavy tackles. If you play Butcher style and get rid up field quickly defences don't press but retreat to cover the long pass. Hence you don't get caught with the ball . So I feel the style of our play is contributing to our many injuries.

Teams have got used to our style this season, last season they were taken by surprise, now they know we we won't punt up field they are on to us like a ton of bricks.

With regard to Hughes he has passed his sell by date.  Maybe not this season but he will eventually take us down. 

He took over from Butcher ( a dirty word ) but he inherited  a decent squad, That squad has started to disappear, and the replacements are not as good.   It can be seen at Newport too, which after Butcher with the new manager  has started to win games, true the new manager has turned them around, but the salient test it is the players Butcher left and sorted out. 

Some replacements like Tansey and  Fon Williams are good , but others are not.

Another point I would make is the tactics are poor. I will give one example.  We were winning one nil in the cup final, with a few minutes left. We got a free kick on the edge of the box, what did we do?.

We attacked, virtually all our players went up field  . Well you know what happened the free kick was cleared we had one man back, Falkirk broke on the counter, professional foul, resulted  and  we had a sending off.

Bad tactics in the extreme, never criticised because we got the win. It happens all the time. The team is not trained to shut the stable door.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I am fed up with the way the team are playing.

Tremarco's mistake under no pressure has nothing to do with Hughes or tactics. We still had enough cover and we still plenty of time so to start playing more cautiously would have been more dangerous. 

14 hours ago, gingerjaggy said:

Tremarco's mistake under no pressure has nothing to do with Hughes or tactics. We still had enough cover and we still plenty of time so to start playing more cautiously would have been more dangerous. 

I don't want to get into a row here, my perception is we should not press when one nil up, in a vital match.  This is only one example of poor tactics,  the barn door is left open time and time again.

The great Brian Clough once said that if you are winning you ," make sure you win. One goal is enough", .   Never give the other team a chance in sport that's my motto.  If you don't have players as good as the other team, you have to win by using your brain,  We don't even have clever tactics for taking a throw in, Watch a top team take throw ins, They don't play a version of the kids game, musical statues, they whip the ball into play like grease lightning. We don't even have enough ball boys/girls , available to make sure our guys get the ball back straight away and the away team have to wait.

I could go on all day, I perception is we are not well organised, it is not altogether the managers responsibility,

• Disagree 1

18 hours ago, caleyboy said:

For a team with the lowest budget in the SPLIT I think we are doing OK. A manager can only manage what he has within his budget.

Not sure what you mean by SPLIT but if you mean the SPFL Premiership then we don't have either the lowest turnover or playing budget. Yogi's player budget is very similar to the previous manager's who managed to recruit far more successfully.

I have considerable reservations about JH, his management style and his style of play but, unless he takes us down this season, I am still inclined to stick with him to give him at least until Christmas to turn things around. We are not a club in the habit of sacking managers and I don't believe that now is yet the time to start.

I wouldn't say sacking Yogi is the answer, but unfortunately he is the one who has created the doubts.

Sub standard signings, seemingly unable to vary tactics, lack of use of subs.

I personally think a lot of our isses this year stem from the lack of pace throughout the side. Last year we had Watkins and Shinnie who could break at pace with the ball and stretch the game, we have nothing like that in the wide areas to do this, and that is compounded without having a real goal scorer to rely on.

injuries haven't helped, but due to European football,some of our guys are near on completing 2 seasons without a decent break.

• Agree 1

i suspect, and i may wrong, the original poster Shaun  may be a young lad who has only really seen us be succesful.

Careful what you wish for though, somone mentioned on twitter yesterday that they wanted Hughes gone and Foran to take over. Remove the manager and replace him with someone with no experience, great thinking 

Edited by oats
  • Agree 1

Again let's face it. Richie is clearly being "groomed" for the job. End of. I suspect that the Board did not suspect that Yogi would go into dive mode. Still there really is a BIG opportunity to get to the Scottish Cup Final and potentially Europe. Who would have taken that at the beginning of the season ? Would such a feat be deserving of praise ? If you were a chairman and your manager kept the team in the SPFL and both the aforementioned - would that be a job well done.

That is why Yogi simply has to eat humble pie and go for a more attacking style. And will the players play for him and the shirt like they did last week. Yogi is the focus but Messrs Warren, Foran, Draper, Vigurs and Tansey also have to step up to the plate.

All of this may be a dream and forlorn optimism but it ain't over till the fat lady sings. And it could still be a song of derision or ecstasy. Time to look at hooking Yogi ? 

I am not advocating a change of manager but throwing Foran in at the deep end in the position we are in would not be fair on anyone least of all him.

IF we were to replace Yogi in the next couple of weeks, which, quite properly, will never happen we would need to go for someone experienced and willing to take a very short term contract such as Jimmy Calderwood.

However, Yogi can steer us out of this mess he just has to accept that his current method of playing simply isn't working.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Laurence said:

Injuries are due to our style of play. ( Good English may be owing to our style of play )

If you dally on the ball and kick sideways the opposition know what you are up too and close you down. This means they catch you with heavy tackles. If you play Butcher style and get rid up field quickly defences don't press but retreat to cover the long pass. Hence you don't get caught with the ball . So I feel the style of our play is contributing to our many injuries.

Teams have got used to our style this season, last season they were taken by surprise, now they know we we won't punt up field they are on to us like a ton of bricks.

With regard to Hughes he has passed his sell by date.  Maybe not this season but he will eventually take us down. 

He took over from Butcher ( a dirty word ) but he inherited  a decent squad, That squad has started to disappear, and the replacements are not as good.   It can be seen at Newport too, which after Butcher with the new manager  has started to win games, true the new manager has turned them around, but the salient test it is the players Butcher left and sorted out. 

Some replacements like Tansey and  Fon Williams are good , but others are not.

Another point I would make is the tactics are poor. I will give one example.  We were winning one nil in the cup final, with a few minutes left. We got a free kick on the edge of the box, what did we do?.

We attacked, virtually all our players went up field  . Well you know what happened the free kick was cleared we had one man back, Falkirk broke on the counter, professional foul, resulted  and  we had a sending off.

Bad tactics in the extreme, never criticised because we got the win. It happens all the time. The team is not trained to shut the stable door.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I am fed up with the way the team are playing.

A little more than a few minutes. Falkirk scored in 80th minute. One of the fatal mistakes of many teams is trying to defend a one goal lead.

• Agree 1

This is a thread started simply by a usual suspect going off on (another) one post-match, with the OP currently sitting on a rating of minus 9 whereas Renegade's response suggesting he finds it pretty boring is on plus 6. But yet here it is, almost 48 hours on, still piling up the posts (OK this is one but I need to make this related point) and going strong. That would seem quite unfortunate, even in the avsence a Cup replay and the Clash of the Cupholders in Dingwall both within the next five days.

• Disagree 1

Our history shows a successful story. One which by and large has seen our managers given time and eventually being headhunted, not often have we wielded the axe unless it has been the only option available.  Under Brewster it was clear he had lost motivation, he was out of ideas to change things and the players werent playing for him. I dont see that in the current situation. Surely a third place finish and a Scottish cup buys him at least a season. Its naturally a relatively small but successful side will see its squad cherry picked.

I see a team that is missing some key players due to injury and lacking in confidence. Fair enough, the manager has a footballing philosophy of possesion football but its not the manager playing the pass. The players need confidence to attempt that risky pass that may lose possesion and have the whole stadium sigh or dribble at a player and get tackled, or make a run beyond defenders and perhaps be caught out of position, the easier option and safer option is the  sideways or backwards pass or stay in position. It doesnt all come down to what the manager says, we have essentially squad players in the first team due to injuries (we would all love a squad of 22 equally good players but am afraid it will never happen at this club) and players lacking confidence due to lack of faith in their ability and the current run of results.

Hopefully we can do enough to stay in the league sooner rather than later, give Hughes a opportunity to find some gems over the summer, then see where next season takes us.

• Agree 1

sensible post Stirling

i just get the feeling that the majority of people shouting for Hughes head are younger fans more used to success, maybe they have been spoilt the last few seasons and cant rememeber being a football fan is not always going to be about winning.Sure we all want our team to win every game, but those of us old enough to remember being further down the divisions and the struggle to get to where we are can put it in perspective. Last season was a season to remember for sure but some of us realise its not always going to be that way, and a kneejerk reaction in sacking the manager with 2 months to go in the season is not the answer. 

oh and Jimmy Calderwood is NOT the answer unless the question is which former Aberdeen manager looked like he had been dipped in woodstain?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, oats said:

sensible post Stirling

i just get the feeling that the majority of people shouting for Hughes head are younger fans more used to success, maybe they have been spoilt the last few seasons and cant rememeber being a football fan is not always going to be about winning.Sure we all want our team to win every game, but those of us old enough to remember being further down the divisions and the struggle to get to where we are can put it in perspective. Last season was a season to remember for sure but some of us realise its not always going to be that way, and a kneejerk reaction in sacking the manager with 2 months to go in the season is not the answer. 

oh and Jimmy Calderwood is NOT the answer unless the question is which former Aberdeen manager looked like he had been dipped in woodstain?

When you speak about 'the majority of people shouting for Hughes head' I only see two. One of whom is the OP the other is definitely not a younger fan...are you Laurence ?

53 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I am not advocating a change of manager but throwing Foran in at the deep end in the position we are in would not be fair on anyone least of all him.

IF we were to replace Yogi in the next couple of weeks, which, quite properly, will never happen we would need to go for someone experienced and willing to take a very short term contract such as Jimmy Calderwood.

However, Yogi can steer us out of this mess he just has to accept that his current method of playing simply isn't working.

Calderwood is an oaf and a bully. He hounded young Ryan O'Leary out of Aberdeen and Kilmarnock calling him 'soft' when he was battling depressing and rinsed him in front of the entire Aberdeen team saying they should stay away from him. If he (Calderwood) ever came to ICT I would not go to a game until he left the club.

• Agree 2

My only criticism this season is purely on the recruitment strategy this year has been god awful. Firstly, the number of midfielders at the club is something that I find frankly bizarre. We currently have 14 midfielders as apposed to 5 defenders and 2 strikers. I do have a lot of sympathy for Yogi as the current injury situation cannot be helped however I can't help but think we wouldn't have been in this situation if Yogi had a proper transfer strategy and brought players in not to just fill in the numbers. The other criticism regarding the transfers to me was timing and that's something that desperately needs changing at the club. Teams around us are very quick to sign players up in May but we fannied about with trialists far too long and we even signed Owain Fon Williams the day before we played Astra - just doesn't bode well with me. 

End of the day, we could be in a worst situation right now and the key going forward is major teamwork and determination both from manager and players. Despite my reservations, It would find it to be absolutely suicidal to sack John Hughes this late in the season.

Edited by ICTRoughi

1 hour ago, oats said:

i just get the feeling that the majority of people shouting for Hughes head are younger fans more used to success, maybe they have been spoilt the last few seasons and cant rememeber being a football fan is not always going to be about winning.

Interesting. That was what used to be said about some Caley fans back in the early 90s.

• tm4tj locked this topic