Inverness CT -V- Hibernian

Scotty

3 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

It was the first time I have seen Hughes play and I thought he was very poor. 

Exactly what I thought when I saw him for the first time v St J last week. Looked like a central defender thrown upfront.

12 minutes ago, Row S said:

They also cheated us with the antics of Oxley after the miss by Liam Hughes. That took the sting out of the momentum we had at the time. If the ref had any balls Oxley should've got a second yellow card.

Seemingly he lost a contact lens and couldn't see straight.  He appeared to be indicating to the bench that he needed to come off but they weren't having it.  It was a farcical episode but I think the fault for that must lie with the bench rather than Oxley.  Unless they had a spare lens readily to hand then they should have substituted him.  To have a keeper with blurred vision on the park puts other players at risk as well as the obvious risk of losing a goal because the keeper can't see!  I've no idea whether a referee can insist on a substitution in such circumstances but I'm sure someone will know.

Of course, if it was all an act by Oxley then he should have been sent off.

Wow that miss from under the bar ... Our striker Hughes probably makes every Caley Thistle fan believe that they could still become a professional footballer themselves.

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

When their keeper was finally taken off, the last thing he did was catch the ball in play. When he was replaced their reserve keeper started play with a goal kick.

I'm genuinely curious what the rule involved there is. 

The blame solely lies at the managers door tonight. As soon as the team sheet came out I knew we were in for a beating. We don't have any fit out and out strikers at the club so therefore benches all our attacking options in Storey, Williams, Roberts and Polworth. I mean it's complete idiocy!! 

In the first game against Hibs it was evident after 20 mins that the 4-3-3 wasn't working, our midfield was exposed and Polworth was out his depth at RB. It took Yogi until the 72min to make a change and 2 mins later we scored. 

Tonight we were set up all wrong to begin with but again it took until 74min to change things and Vigurs scores 4 mins later. This tactical nievity is simply not good enough. 

I am beginning to wonder however if the board and Yogi have concluded that the Cup is not a priority, but that staying up and trying for a last ditch top 6 spot by winning on Saturday is? Maybe that is why he kept our best attacking options benched tonight? Personally I think this is sheer folly and by putting all our eggs in one basket we'll likely lose them all....

However i must say belt up and 'enjoy th ride'! Yogi is signed up till atleast 2018 and quite frankly he aint getting sacked anytime soon. Imho top 6 is long gone. Its all about staying up and frankly im worried. If by a miracle we do stay up, im already fearful about next season

54 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Seemingly he lost a contact lens and couldn't see straight.  He appeared to be indicating to the bench that he needed to come off but they weren't having it.  It was a farcical episode but I think the fault for that must lie with the bench rather than Oxley.  Unless they had a spare lens readily to hand then they should have substituted him.  To have a keeper with blurred vision on the park puts other players at risk as well as the obvious risk of losing a goal because the keeper can't see!  I've no idea whether a referee can insist on a substitution in such circumstances but I'm sure someone will know.

Of course, if it was all an act by Oxley then he should have been sent off.

Pretty certain the rules are!

If a player is considered a danger to himself or the opposition, then he can be removed from the field of play.

Therefore the referee can insist on a players removal.

Examples are, a player walking on with normal prescription glasses, the referee would ask him to remove them, or leave the field.

A player smelling of alcohol, (more for amateurs?) if the referee got the impression there was a smell, then he could ask for the player to removed.

Apart from that not a great night for players, manager.

But calls for Yogi to be replaced by Foran?

Foran has no management experience.

• Agree 1

I must admit when I saw the team selection I thought it was a bit bizarre, not so much Foran and Highes upfront, but no sign of Roberts, Storey, Polworth or Danny Williams,any one of which would have been needed to provide the ammunition for the forward pair...I thought Roberts coming off on Saturday was in part to save him for tonight. Was Tansey injured or suspended?

At least we gave it a go in the 2nd half, in some respects a run to the quarter final isn't too bad given the funny season we have had, feel we missed out though, the team and performance that beat Aberdeen a few weeks ago would surely have won this tie.

Edited by Eagle4Caley

I unfortunately could not make the game tonight, so my comments are only opinions from a distance, but here they are anyway:

1. Romantic as the cup is and fantastic as it was to experience last May, there is a much bigger fish to fry in staying up. I'm disappointed in the result, but am trying to see some positives!

2. I've not been alone in crying out for a change in shape and adoption of more direct tactics from JH and, in fairness to him, he appears to have given exactly that a shot tonight. That's not to say that his team choice to start was inspired, but he clearly adopted a more direct approach and we created more chances in the second half than all season. I think this will help to save us in the long run.

3. Foran and Meekings back is a huge positive. They will need time to get back to full fitness, but will be crucial in the fight for survival.

4. Hopefully, there are signs of an obvious first 11. Hughes is not a striker, so Foran and Storey must be an option? Tansey was a miss tonight, but he and Draper in centre of midfield and Warren and Meekings at the heart of the defence has to be considered (has this happened this season yet?) Tremarco is cemented as left back. The right back/midfield is between Polworth, Roberts and Horner. Vigurs and Williams are options down the left.

5. The County game on Saturday is more important than this one. Learn lessons from tonight - go direct and choose players in their rightful positions and we stand a chance. Continue to go with Hughes up front and Wedderburn and we'll be scuppered.

6. Lose on Saturday and we're in freefall. This is our Waterloo. Lose and we're in serious trouble. No time for weak-willed. Choose the best team we have available and go hell for leather for 90 minutes. Tippy tappy and respect are not an option. No excuses, no hiding places.

• Agree 7

3 hours ago, ForzaCaley said:

In the first game against Hibs it was evident after 20 mins that the 4-3-3 wasn't working, our midfield was exposed and Polworth was out his depth at RB. It took Yogi until the 72min to make a change and 2 mins later we scored. 

Don't know what game you were at the other week.  We started the game with a 3-5-2.  It was only after a switch to a 4-3-3 type system where we actually did something.

One quick post mortem. As soon as I saw the selection I feared the worst. If you are going to put the league survival first you do NOT risk Foran and Meekings. So it was NOT about concentrating on the league. From a financial perspective that does also NOT make sense. You do NOT make widespread selection changes. Once again it was chop in change. How on earth was it seen to keep the formation. That was Butcheresque and I am afraid that Yogi is showing that same arrogant, crass stubbornness and it smells a bit of contract insurance to me. Wedderburn, Vigurs and Draper - now that is a silky, slick trio is it not. How did Horner merit a start ? And Hughes is not a centre forward - he is a midfielder. I could go on and on. I am not saying Hughes out but lets judge on the rest of this season and IF Meekings and Foran are still deemed fit for Tinkerville the selection and formation will be interesting to note.

That starting line up was a disaster, no idea what that was about, playing Wedderburn, Horner (did ok), L.Hughes while Storey, Roberts, Polly, Danny were on the bench - our only creative players. The game was crying out for some pace and creativity from our side.

Post match Yogi criticised the players citing the loss as down to individual errors - while correct to a degree, the line up put us in that situation and the players picked which falls at the managers door.

This was possibly our best ever chance of reaching another final, OF playing each other and could have faced an inconsistent DUtd, instead we fall with meek, timid and niave tactics.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

And Hughes is not a centre forward - he is a midfielder.

Based on his control, touch, movement, passing, lack of pace - I'm not sure he has the attributes for that position either. A player out of his depth at this level, Wedderburn looks mobile in comparison.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Can't blame the manager for 2 unforced defensive howlers. Everyone was calling for a more direct approach and Yogi delivered. On another night one of the 50 or so balls we put into their box would've fallen for us. Just not our season. Time to focus on top 6.

headInSand.gif

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 2

Trying hard to read some positives into last night's defeat.  Wasn't there so but it sounds as though we made a fight of it in second half.  Why is it that we can't play with that intensity from the start? It seems these days that only when 'our backs are to the wall' do we begin to play, usually too late.

At least it must have been good to see Foran play a whole game again.  I must admit I never thought that would happen after his long absence.  Also good that Meekings is fit again.  Just need Raven back at right back and the defence will be OK again.  Staying with the injury list, only a few more to go, Vincent, Doran (will we ever see him again?), Mutumbo, before we will have a full 1st team squad to pick from. So that must be a plus.

I'm sure we will need everyone at their best for the undoubted 'dog fight' we now have to retain our place in the top flight. How many twists and turns remain before the end of the season?

59 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Last night's performance and result raises a long list of questions but surely the most pertinent is why on earth did Liam Hughes play for 97 minutes ?

The thing I don't get is one week ago we had to use Hughes in Perth but yogi said he was only fit enough for 60-70 mins and yet he has played every minute of the last 3 games and he seems rank rotten.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cif73 said:

Wow that miss from under the bar ... Our striker Hughes probably makes every Caley Thistle fan believe that they could still become a professional footballer themselves.

Hughes is a midfielder. He is being played out of position like most of our players

9 hours ago, PerfICT said:

4. Hopefully, there are signs of an obvious first 11. Hughes is not a striker, so Foran and Storey must be an option? Tansey was a miss tonight, but he and Draper in centre of midfield and Warren and Meekings at the heart of the defence has to be considered (has this happened this season yet?) Tremarco is cemented as left back. The right back/midfield is between Polworth, Roberts and Horner. Vigurs and Williams are options down the left.

The 'quartet' of Warren, Meekings, Draper and Tansey have started together only 3 times this season.
Inverness 0-1 Astra
Inverness 0-1 Motherwell
Inverness 1-3 Celtic

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sneckboy said:

The 'quartet' of Warren, Meekings, Draper and Tansey have started together only 3 times this season.
Inverness 0-1 Astra
Inverness 0-1 Motherwell
Inverness 1-3 Celtic

How did you find that out Sneckboy

On Soccerbase, there's a 'player filter' - but you can only select 2 at a time. http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=482&teamTabs=results
Picking Warren an Meekings as the filter, the games they played in are highlighted. But they can sometimes make errors, so you can click on the small green 'I' on the left of the game to 'check' - and see if Tansey and Draper were also involved in those games.
I noticed that the Astra home game was omitted, but the BBC report for that game has the 4 of them starting.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33517063

To be honest think the criticism of the young guy Liam Hughes a bit OTT. 

There is no doubt he struggled but to be honest who never last night.

No idea if he is a centre forward or not by all accounts he is a midfield player, although I am sure he has also come on and played fullback.As someone quite rightly pointed out he is just another long line of players being asked to play outwith their natural position, as was Foran who has not played upfront for god knows how long.

• Agree 2

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic