Inverness CT -V- Hibernian

Scotty

1 hour ago, neksor said:

Motumbo, going into Bannatynes Gym about an hour ago with full strip on. Does this mean he is or is not fit for Saturday?

Hope so! He tore Hibs a new one at Easter Rd a couple weeks back. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

Came away last night really disappointed that we were out of the cup. However in the last half hour we showed more passion and desire than we have all season. More of the same and we should stay up. So good to have Richie Foran back.  Just one question. Liam Hughes - why?

• Agree 1

I think we should lay off Hughes. I thought he did OK at St Johnstone with little or no support and provided umpteen knockdowns for anyone who was near or hungry enough. I did not see him after that but he deserves a chance in my book. The bile on here is certainly not going to do his confidence any good..........he must have shown something before being signed

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Hearach said:

Came away last night really disappointed that we were out of the cup. However in the last half hour we showed more passion and desire than we have all season. More of the same and we should stay up. So good to have Richie Foran back.  Just one question. Liam Hughes - why?

We have shown similar passion and desire quite a few times this season but seldom if ever for 90minutes and almost always when it's too late....

• Agree 2

Mutombo was in the gym a couple of days ago fully kitted out. Saw him again today, he was only doing upper body weights during the time I was there.

I didn't see Liam Hughes against St Johnstone but think he is being given a bit of a hard time after last nights game. Yes he was quite ineffective but I thought the tactics in the first half were just that and like a lot of others he played his part in a system that yielded nothing. Like a few others have mentioned if he is not played in his natural position then he will never be as effective as he would be normally so I'll reserve most judgement until I've at least seen him where he normally plays. I thought he put in plenty of effort chasing down the opposition and in terms of aerial balls in he was on the end of plenty of them...they just amounted to no end product really. In the second half I thought he improved but then so did the entire team.

Hibs were somehow 2 nil up at half time, having had a split share of a dull but fairly equal first half. The first goal was simply down to comical defending, two defenders could have cleared but in schoolboy fashion it bumbled over the clumsy pair at head height to the feet of Stokes who will probably never score an easier double. One thing that I noticed and has been mentioned is the lack of creativity in our team compared to theirs. I was left frustrated on a number of occasions by our players being skinned like they weren't even there. On top of that the situations where two of our players would closed down an attacker at the same time and he either skips through the pair of them(getting the break of the ball on occasion too) or he just plays it past them to his overlapping team mate who the two defenders closing down were not switched on enough to notice. Such simple stuff but happened time and again. They played it wide, played it back in then wide again. We barely ever do that, we played awful long balls this time with no substance. Does Yogi not remember how we equalised against Hibs last time? We don't have a Ryan Christie anymore to show flashes of genius like he did against Aberdeen but we definitely had players capable of quick creative play, they just weren't on the pitch.

Hughes wasn't good, largely ineffective but did put in the effort. Wedderburn for me is not good enough to play for us, I wanted him to succeed but I can't remember a game where he has looked decent since his first against Astra. Meekings was poor at right back, skinned a few times but it's not like he has had game time or that he is a natural right back. Devine is not covering himself in glory at the minute so maybe it's time to get JM back in alongside GW. OFW had some good saves.

I don't know what Yogi is up to but if he had played the right personnel gone for a different system I absolutely agree that this overrated Hibs team were there for the taking. Yes they're a decent team but no way are they deserving of all the cringe worthy loving they seem to get from the pundits especially on the back of 4 defeats and a draw.

Edited by LundavraJag
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, LundavraJag said:

Mutombo was in the gym a couple of days ago fully kitted out. Saw him again today, he was only doing upper body weights during the time I was there.

I didn't see Liam Hughes against St Johnstone but think he is being given a bit of a hard time after last nights game. Yes he was quite ineffective but I thought the tactics in the first half were just that and like a lot of others he played his part in a system that yielded nothing. Like a few others have mentioned if he is not played in his natural position then he will never be as effective as he would be normally so I'll reserve most judgement until I've at least seen him where he normally plays. I thought he put in plenty of effort chasing down the opposition and in terms of aerial balls in he was on the end of plenty of them...they just amounted to no end product really. In the second half I thought he improved but then so did the entire team.

Hibs were somehow 2 nil up at half time, having had a split share of a dull but fairly equal first half. The first goal was simply down to comical defending, two defenders could have cleared but in schoolboy fashion it bumbled over the clumsy pair at head height to the feet of Stokes who will probably never score an easier double. One thing that I noticed and has been mentioned is the lack of creativity in our team compared to theirs. I was left frustrated on a number of occasions by our players being skinned like they weren't even there. On top of that the situations where two of our players would closed down an attacker at the same time and he either skips through the pair of them(getting the break of the ball on occasion too) or he just plays it past them to his overlapping team mate who the two defenders closing down were not switched on enough to notice. Such simple stuff but happened time and again. They played it wide, played it back in then wide again. We barely ever do that, we played awful long balls this time with no substance. Does Yogi not remember how we equalised against Hibs last time? We don't have a Ryan Christie anymore to show flashes of genius like he did against Aberdeen but we definitely had players capable of quick creative play, they just weren't on the pitch.

Hughes wasn't good, largely ineffective but did put in the effort. Wedderburn for me is not good enough to play for us, I wanted him to succeed but I can't remember a game where he has looked decent since his first against Astra. Meekings was poor at right back, skinned a few times but it's not like he has had game time or that he is a natural right back. Devine is not covering himself in glory at the minute so maybe it's time to get JM back in alongside GW. OFW had some good saves.

I don't know what Yogi is up to but if he had played the right personnel gone for a different system I absolutely agree that this overrated Hibs team were there for the taking. Yes they're a decent team but no way are they deserving of all the cringe worthy loving they seem to get from the pundits especially on the back of 4 defeats and a draw.

Or the cringe worthy loving they got from our manager.....

• Agree 1

I felt Josh was well off the pace to begin with but gradually got upto the pace of the game. I'm desperate to see our centre half's back together again, hopefully Hughes puts them together for the derby. Danny is simply not good enough, he's had this whole season up until now to prove himself but has not reached the required standard. I like the idea of storey and Roberts/williams as wide men and Richie as the target man, hopefully this happens for the Derby. 

• Agree 4

Just watched BBC highlights of the game. Painful viewing. Devine/Tremarco gaffs (2 in defence, 1 in attack) effectively cost us a 3 goal swing that looked even worse than in the flesh at the time.

Devine has to learn fast from the crucial mistakes he made last night and from a few others this season.  Goals change games and I thought the we were doing ok in first half up to the Divine interventions.  After that point it was always going to be extremely hard to get back into the game due to our lack of goal threat.

I was a bit surprised with some of the team selections, in regard to Storey is he not carrying a bit of an injury hence the reason for not starting the match.

Gutted that we are out of the cup but we now have a cup final on Saturday and the manager and team must get this right.  We can not keep gifting teams goals and games.

Could not be there last night as down south: blessing in disguise?

Could not believe the team selection, despite being happy JM back.

Watching BBC text updates was painful, car crash waiting to happen. Confirmed by highlights.

I am going to Dingwall on Saturday fearing the worst but hoping for the best!

Bottom six is inevitable. I hate to admit it, but after the highs of last season, I predicted we would finish 8th this season. I would take that now!

The criticism of JH and some players on here is justified, but when times are tough the players need to know that we are behind them. Let's do what we can to support and encourage them.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3

This season  has been a circumstance of team dislocation, discombobulation, disappointment, deflation, doldrums and denials.

All we can hope for is that we can at least avoid relegation and a win at County would be a great lifter of the spirit. I think that losing all these  better players at the beginning of the season just caused  tremendous disruption within the team, physically and psychologically and it threw JH for a loop.  Imagine his  feelings after he had  achieved so much....?. \

I'm a  bit deflated I must admit but at least Richie has recovered from that awful injury and next season he will be back, one way or the other, in full force and in fine fettle. Maybe big J was right when he opined that last  season we had was the season we will not have again but ,...time will tell.

6 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

This season  has been a circumstance of team dislocation, discombobulation, disappointment, deflation, doldrums and denials.

All we can hope for is that we can at least avoid relegation and a win at County would be a great lifter of the spirit. I think that losing all these  better players at the beginning of the season just caused  tremendous disruption within the team, physically and psychologically and it threw JH for a loop.  Imagine his  feelings after he had  achieved so much....?. \

I'm a  bit deflated I must admit but at least Richie has recovered from that awful injury and next season he will be back, one way or the other, in full force and in fine fettle. Maybe big J was right when he opined that last  season we had was the season we will not have again but ,...time will tell.

Last season may not be repeated in its completeness for many a year. However, this year we had an eminently make-able route to the final laid out for us (i.e. get past a Championship side albeit very good, then the side rooted to the bottom of the Premiership). That level of challenge to get to a final may also not be repeated for many years to come. Serious foul-up (team selection, defensive display, missed chances) at the hands of a team that is ridiculed in social media for bottling on the big occasion. On Wednesday's big occasion, it was ourselves that "Hibs'd" it.  

I applaud the board for last year pulling out the stops to get a proven goal-scoring forward albeit on a short-term deal (Ofere) who eventually played a very significant part in achieving Europe and cup success. By comparison, I'm hugely disappointed with their lack of effort in the same area this year ... especially after having banked our biggest ever transfer money deal early in the season when there was still plenty time to plan / get our ducks in a row recruitment-wise.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, AlexJones said:

Everyone is no-selling the most interesting point in the thread... why is Mutombo going around Inverness in his Caley strip?

He is short of clothes :blush:

On 17/03/2016 at 2:02 PM, Naelifts said:

I think we should lay off Hughes. I thought he did OK at St Johnstone with little or no support and provided umpteen knockdowns for anyone who was near or hungry enough. I did not see him after that but he deserves a chance in my book. The bile on here is certainly not going to do his confidence any good..........he must have shown something before being signed

Agreed - it was my last game, and I was on my feet a number of times saying "give him support" when he chested the ball down only to find he had three defenders to beat in the next six yards.

It seems to have gone unnoticed, but putting the team line up aside, one thing I couldn't understand was what we were doing for set pieces. When we were in an attacking position, we'd have Horner forward, yet we'd leave Wedderburn, probably our biggest player on the park and one who'd hit the post only the Saturday before, was kept back to defend. On the other hand, when we'd defend a set piece, we'd keep Hughes (probably the tallest player in the side) forward. Why? It just doesn't make sense. 

One positive thing was the use of the long throw.  I always knew Meekings could throw it long but I hadn't seen Tremarco throw it long before.  Surely this is something we should use far more often - not only to get the ball in the box but, as Lawrence suggested earlier, to get the ball down the park quickly from throw ins in our own half.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic