Summer Transfer Window Thread

ICTRoughi

I quite liked the January transfer window thread on here because it brought a lot of speculation and good discussion between posters. 

How would you like to see the summer window go? Where should we strengthen? Who should leave the club? 

My wish list for next season that we strengthen in the left back and attacking options. Keeping guys like Miles Storey and Owain Fon Williams should be an imperative.

Noticed in in the daily record today that John Fleck is looking for another club. Would be an ideal replacement for Ryan Christie. El Bahkatoui of Dunfermline would be a fantastic addition to our club too. 

Hope we get our business done early doors. 

• Agree 2

We'll definitely need a left sided player with Williams leaving, a creative active midfielder like Christie, and a centre forward. A winger wouldn't go a miss either!  

El Bahkatoui is worth a gamble, but he'll probably get offers from elsewhere in the SPL so probably a no go. Can only speculate on other players, it's likely we'll sign players from the lower leagues down south, as that seems to be our policy! 

El Bahkatoui has scored 29 goals this season for the pars and is out of contract in the summer. I am fairly certain that he wouldn't command a development fee, so definitely an option the club should take up on - quite rightly we would face competition. 

First and foremost we need to get the out of contract players signed up and hopefully there aren't too many moving on.

Now would be a chance for Hughes to put his own stamp on the team and I certainly hope that he has learned from his recent forays into the transfer market that he needs to improve the quality of player coming in. He's had a very mixed bag so far.

I think the area where we need quality is in the attacking areas. I think El Bahkatoui would be worth the gamble as well however i reckon there will be a lot of interest in him

A left back, a no 10 and 2 strikers would be minumum for me provided we dont lose any more players

Just looking at the list of out of contract players on Narey's Toepoker there and I see Ziggy Gordon is out of contract at Accies this summer.  Now chances are bigger clubs than us might be in for him, but if the chance was there I'd take him in a second.  I would even go as far as to say that he's better than David Raven.  

Jesus Garcia Tena and Tagliapetra are also out of contract there as well and I reckon both would be decent signings for us.  Both would add a bit of height to the backline and I'm sure Garcia Tena is excellent from set-pieces, along with being left footed so he would bring something a bit different.  Granted, neither are as good as Meekings and Warren, but I'd say both are better than Devine.

• Agree 1

SPFL - Agree on Ziggy Gordon although will probably not be able to afford him, Ryan Dow

Championship - Nicky Clark, Peter Grant, Blair Alston but probably end up with Kevin Thomson, El Alugi & Andy Dow - yogi loves an ex-Hibee afterall

SFL1 - El Bhaktoui of course - to think 12 months ago he had never played 11 a-side

Others - Higdon, Fleck

I'd like to see us try get some good loans if we cant sign players, guys like Tony Anderu who are SPFL proven but failed to make it after a move

When you see lists of SPFL out of contract players, its worrying how one club (ours) makes up about 20-25% of the professional players listed!!!

13 hours ago, Renegade said:

Just looking at the list of out of contract players on Narey's Toepoker there and I see Ziggy Gordon is out of contract at Accies this summer.  Now chances are bigger clubs than us might be in for him, but if the chance was there I'd take him in a second.  I would even go as far as to say that he's better than David Raven.  

Jesus Garcia Tena and Tagliapetra are also out of contract there as well and I reckon both would be decent signings for us.  Both would add a bit of height to the backline and I'm sure Garcia Tena is excellent from set-pieces, along with being left footed so he would bring something a bit different.  Granted, neither are as good as Meekings and Warren, but I'd say both are better than Devine.

Sorry to nitpick here but I'm fairly certain that Ziggy Gordon is a left back - would be a good addition none the less. 

He's a right back though can fill in at centre-half.  Think I'm right in saying he's more the wing-back Graeme Shinnie/Ross Tokely type of character as well, which I think we've lacked a bit this season.  

Inverness Caledonian Thistle have told Partick Thistle they plan to talk to midfield trio Stuart Bannigan, Steven Lawless and Abdul Osman, who are all out of contract this summer, about a switch to their Scottish Premiership rivals next season

From BBC sport this morning, because we all know what we actually need is more midfielders 

• Agree 3

As long as we hold on to the spine of the team below coming into summer I'll be happy:

Fon Williams

Raven  Meekings Warren TBC

Draper Tansey (Although think he will be gone)

TBC Polworth TBC

TBC

Would like to see us starting to do what Yogi started at Falkirk and bring through some more really talented young Scottish lads. Plenty talent out there in the lower leagues, you only need to look at some of the lads Dundee United brought in from Queens Park to prove that. The likes of Max Currie, he showed some potential in the nets against Celtic and I think we should be snapping young players up like that, send them back on loan for experience with the plan of bringing them through in a couple seasons.... However that would mean signing players on longer than 1 year deals!

To be fair if all we have at the end of the season is draper and Tansey signed up then these 3 wouldn't be the worst signings! As good as each of them are though, they aren't coming from a team that's be superb! We've had a poor season, particks had an average season...that to me is the difference in players we recruit but still, 3 decent players! 

I'd agree in some respects that we need to sign out of contract players soon but it's getting late in the season and the later we leave signing up new players the less likely it'll be that we get the ones we're looking at! 

Bahktoui would be a fantastic signing...however it'll take some about of luck to get him! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

In todays Daily Express

Inverness Caledonian Thistle have told Partick Thistle they plan to talk to midfield trio Stuart Bannigan, Steven Lawless and Abdul Osman, who are all out of contract this summer, about a switch to their Scottish Premiership rivals next season

and todays P & J

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald has already resigned himself to losing Stuart Bannigan next season, with Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager John Hughes having made an approach for the 23-year-old midfielder who is out of contract in the summer

46 minutes ago, DEANO96 said:

To be fair if all we have at the end of the season is draper and Tansey signed up then these 3 wouldn't be the worst signings! As good as each of them are though, they aren't coming from a team that's be superb! We've had a poor season, particks had an average season...that to me is the difference in players we recruit but still, 3 decent players! 

I'd agree in some respects that we need to sign out of contract players soon but it's getting late in the season and the later we leave signing up new players the less likely it'll be that we get the ones we're looking at! 

Bahktoui would be a fantastic signing...however it'll take some about of luck to get him! 

So, what was wrong with this post? Not normally to ask for a reason but disagreeing without a reply? Bit strange 

If, and I stress if, we are after three midfielders from Partick, despite losing Vincent and Williams, does this suggest that Hughes is anticipating that Tansey won't be with us next season? :sad:

34 minutes ago, RiG said:

If, and I stress if, we are after three midfielders from Partick, despite losing Vincent and Williams, does this suggest that Hughes is anticipating that Tansey won't be with us next season? :sad:

Quite possibly! Wasn't bannigan the one linked with Aberdeen before Tansey? Seems like we cash in on Tansey whilst freeing up funds for another cm that is still young and a decent player. 

Wohld hate to go into next season without Tansey though

Odd that this story has broken now given that we pulled out of a deal for Ofere when it became public. I haven't read the P & J article but it would seem a bit odd of Hughes / ICT to talk about this deal and alert other clubs to their availability therefore decreasing whatever chances we have of signing them.

I think those three would be very good signings especially lawless. Yes it may seem a little underwhelming to some that we potentially could sign players from a team that has remained a bottom six every season since they were promoted. But all the guys are young and coming up to their prime and alongside some very good players we have remaining then they can add to the side. Midfielders are good for replacements but we really do need to be looking at striking options. We have been short for the last few seasons and the only one we have signed is Fisher and we dont even know how good he is with him being injured as soon as he walked through the door. 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Odd that this story has broken now given that we pulled out of a deal for Ofere when it became public. 

Think there was more to us pulling out of the deal for Ofere than "someone" making it public although that provided a convenient reason ... Whether true or not, I have heard his demands, or those made on his behalf, were simply impossible to meet

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Think there was more to us pulling out of the deal for Ofere than "someone" making it public although that provided a convenient reason ... Whether true or not, I have heard his demands, or those made on his behalf, were simply impossible to meet

No idea on what the situation is, but I wouldn't be surprised that he or his agent looked at it as some kind of saviours return after the contribution the season before so priced any move as such. Regardless he's hardly featured for DUtd and not exactly shown anything near the form he did for us yet, so perhaps no big loss missing out.

If what I heard is true the demands were not solely financial, although the financial aspect was also far higher than we were comfortable with. 

IMHO he was clearly trying to use us to put himself in the shop window and valued himself far higher than most here would have thought. ICT was a paycheque nothing more, no affinity for club or supporters so glad we didn't accede to or negotiate his demands. Would far rather we spend that money on hardworking members of the existing squad or younger players who appreciate the club, its supporters, and the privileged position they have as professional athletes even if they are not pulling in wages like Ronaldo or Messi !   

• Agree 2

Not sure who County have advising them, but ICT could do worse than to look around MLS for some young prospects or potential loanees.

County signed Terry Dunfield and Chris Konopka right out of Toronto FC when they were 'waived' by the club, Perry Kitchen (DC United) is at Hearts, Andy Dorman (New England) came to St Mirren and there have been a few more who have made the journey across the pond to the SPL or SPFL not least of which was Maurice Edu back in 2008. (I exclude Robson, Boyd, Miller, O'Dea etc as they came from UK to MLS and then back). West Ham also signed Doneil Henry who came through the TFC academy and is a beast of a defender and there is a steady stream of both youngsters and established players making the move across either temporarily as loans during off season or on a more permanent basis.

Obviously ICT would not get the likes of Giovinco, Bradley or Altidore, but there are definitely a few promising younger players sitting on the bench most weeks who might be worth a look ... the pick of the bunch being Ashtone Morgan (25) who is a decent left back but behind Justin Morrow in the pecking order. The same must be true of other MLS teams but I am not as familiar with their squads (outside of the well known players)