Summer Transfer Window Thread

ICTRoughi

1 hour ago, lightwelter said:

Can't remember the name of the lad, but we signed someone from the MLS before, or at least he had previously been in the MLS. He can't have made much of an impact though, or I'd probably remember his name!

Daniel Stratford - formerly of DC United. He was absolutely terrible. 

Edited by Renegade

Agreed, I'm a supporter of Yogi and what he has done at the club including accepting the injuries this season and how we have been unlucky with the signings but given the way the team has been playing the last few months, the constant excuses and the ever more increasing comments both written and from his mouth (which carry much more validity) its all getting a bit tiresome and negative - Bemoaning the Williams/Vincent sage, the comments about Tansey & Ofere in Jan, stories about Polly & Storey etc.

The attitude this promotes is not positive, one comment is a dig at the board or can be seen that way, continual comments suggest a man looking or a way out - hopefully not but we know our budget yet there is no point complaining about lack of resources when those that have been used in some cases have been wasted or on sub-standard talent. Agents are obviously part of the game, but not all the blame lies at their door or even the players as they want the best deal, but the club have to do more and that starts with the manager and his tactics, philosophy and atmosphere he creates.

• Agree 2

He is probably just being straight and direct as usual. This is undoubtedly mostly down to agents and the club being unable to compete financially.

"We are finding it difficult to get one or two over the line and we are finding it difficult to keep who we want to keep" - Well nothing new there then. Again undoubtedly due to agents looking for that bit more and better "offers" coming in from elsewhere.

"We are busy trying to bring someone to the club." - Just trying to emphasise that the club are not just sitting on their erseholes but actively seeking out new players.

Caley Thistle lost midfielder Nick Ross to Dundee last summer, while their former strikers, Edward Ofere and Billy McKay, now line up for Dundee United, Ryan Christie was sold to Celtic, full-back Graeme Shinnie moved to Aberdeen, while midfielder Marley Watkins joined Barnsley - I think that we are all mightily cheesed off that we lost all of that lot - but we certainly weren't surprised either. They all left for better deals and better careers and significantly more spondoolachs to boot.

"We are going to lose Vincent and Danny Williams and it's our job to replace that," - Obviously a fact but definite hint of frustrated sarcasm. Probably moves for lengthier contracts and probably "promises" of regular first team football.

"Our budget will not be right up there, we will be in the bottom two in the league. We have to be very shrewd in the way we spend our money." - Actually totally spot on.

"I've never heard anything, but what will happen, just from being in the game a long while, is that Miles Storey will probably move somewhere on the back of the season he has had here," said the Caley Thistle boss. And that will not be his choosing. It will probably be the agent trying to cash in. If Miles Storey wanted to come back here for roughly the same deal then we would jump at it." - Again spot on and a shure sign that Storey is offski.

The club have to do more and that starts with the manager and his tactics, philosophy and atmosphere he creates - Yes Yogi has been frustrating with his determination to play a style of football. One which may have paid off if we had the calibre of the players that have left or have been injured. BUT I am afraid that money really does talk these days. When you buy from the bargain basement you are taking a chance. Some times it pays off and sometimes it feckin doesn't. And the other problem is that when those players shine they immediately grab the attention of the vultures from other clubs - not always bigger or better clubs but wealthier clubs.

Why wait and see with the guy. Go and get him signed up! - Do you really think that an offer has not been tabled - If Miles Storey wanted to come back here for roughly the same deal then we would jump at it."

• Agree 1

I like John Hughes and there's no doubt after the success last season, this one was always going to be difficult and made even more so by some dreadful injuries and some bad luck (some of our own doing though I will grant).  There have been times though of late I've wondered if his heart's really in it anymore.  It's quite worrying to see this type of dialogue, whether it be subliminal pot shots at the board, or players like Raven having to use the press to ask for a new deal (while also bemoaning the negotiations that took place last season).  On top of that, comments on TV about standing aside when Richie Foran feels ready to take over and then of course there's the Dundee United saga, where everyone knows that he wanted to go.  Is his heart really in it anymore?  I'm really not sure you know.

As AlexMacLeod noted on the 'Contract Situation' thread, It appears that a young player called Aiden McKee has impressed on trial and it seems likely we'll be signing him in the summer. Or so his Twitter suggests!
He plays for Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale U20s. This is all from Google! Don't think he's been featuring for the first team in the Lowland League, but I noticed he was an unused sub in LTHV's Scottish Cup tie at Huntly.
Granted, he's not got the most 'stellar' footballing CV, but he's young, and all players start out somewhere - but if he does sign, it'll be with a view to the future.
I'm reluctant to say this, as it's incredibly disrespectful, but this isn't an April Fool is it?

15 hours ago, lightwelter said:

Can't remember the name of the lad, but we signed someone from the MLS before, or at least he had previously been in the MLS. He can't have made much of an impact though, or I'd probably remember his name!

Yes, Dan Stratford played a whopping 5 games for DC United in MLS before being 'waived' at a time when the league was not as strong as it is now ... a term akin to 'contract termination by mutual consent'. But for every Dan Stratford out there there are also plenty more like Dario Zanatta or Doneil Henry ... see this page for some of the better players: http://www.mlssoccer.com/series/24-under-24/2015 and then here for the publicly posted salary details https://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html  . 

Hughes bangs on about squeezing the best value out of every penny but I think european supporters, and UK ones in particular have a particular snobbery about MLS and the quality that exists without ever witnessing it first hand. Its like everywhere else, there are certainly duds, the salary cap sees to that, but its an emerging market with lower wages right now, and in the last few years a blossoming lower league system that is developing and expanding now. In previous years TFC would draft kids out of college and they would not make the grade immediately and would be 'waived'. Nowadays TFC II plays in the 3rd tier and those draftees, as well as some of the younger first team players are signed to or loaned to that feeder team. There's a few in there for the long term that may eventually come back to TFC in the end and a few gems too.  

48 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I searched him yesterday and the results I found seem to show that he's an ex-Hibs youth. 

Yogi probably knows his Dad! :laugh:
If this does materialise, then good luck to him! And if he's reading this then, I apologise for suggesting your signing was an April Fools Day joke!
Use it as motivation to prove me wrong!
(Sneckboy, loosely translated in Gaelic, means 'northern *****').

On 3/31/2016 at 9:52 AM, Dargo20 said:

and todays P & J

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald has already resigned himself to losing Stuart Bannigan next season, with Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager John Hughes having made an approach for the 23-year-old midfielder who is out of contract in the summer

Bannigan is out with a long term knee injury.  He'd fit in well here!

• Agree 4

Not surprising to see that we are the team with the most players out of contract. This is the summer that will define Yogi's tenure as he did great last season but he had a team full of quality and had gelled together for a while but now he faces constructing a new team. His bemoaning of the budget is odd though as he must have know that we don't break the bank and have a particularly large budget. It may be frustrating but it is what it is and have been successful rebuilding in the past and a small budget so yogi over to you.  

8 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

I wonder if he's moaning about the budget because it has been reduced? Or is not what he was advised it would be when HE signed his contract? Or maybe he's wondering where Ryans half-a-mil went.....:tumbleweed:

He should know he spent half of it on S**t players .

i understand he has the biggest budget of any Inverness manager and typical of football when things go wrong it is all down to "no money"

• Disagree 1

He should know he spent half of it on S**t players

Looking at Yogi's signings this season, most have been dreadful, and that's why we are in the position of  having to fight to stay in the Premier League.

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, rocky1 said:

He should know he spent half of it on S**t players .

i understand he has the biggest budget of any Inverness manager and typical of football when things go wrong it is all down to "no money"

Yep, don't you know we have the second smallest budget in the SPFL as management at the club like to keep reminding us of. Becoming pretty tiresome actually.

9 hours ago, forresjags said:

Yep, don't you know we have the second smallest budget in the SPFL as management at the club like to keep reminding us of. Becoming pretty tiresome actually.

As a matter of interest who does he think has the lowest?

Surely the first priority, before discussing who is coming in, is to get the likes of Raven and Polworth tied up on three year contracts.

Yogi's signings have been mixed to say the least but these are lads or are of proven ability comfortable with the club and the city. Get them secured please.

• Agree 1

I too, think it's Hamilton Accies. Or certainly, I've heard Martin Canning mentioning it in interviews!
The most recent data I can find is from the end of the 2014 season. Naturally, from then, Dundee and Hamilton aren't listed, while obviously Hibs and St Mirren are.
The Scottish football figures are near the end of this comprehensive study - on their page numbers 104 & 105. http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS%202015.pdf

• Agree 1