Summer Transfer Window Thread

ICTRoughi

7 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

According to this article we are third bottom ahead of Partick and County http://stv.tv/sport/football/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/ I dont know where they got the figures from or how they worked out player wages over company wages (Players and staff)

Yeah, that STV report refers to the publication I 'linked to' in the post just above.

1 hour ago, Alex MacLeod said:

According to this article we are third bottom ahead of Partick and County http://stv.tv/sport/football/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/ I dont know where they got the figures from or how they worked out player wages over company wages (Players and staff)

Is that county,s total wage bill or does it omit the 50% paid by Global which in effect doubles their wage structure!!!!!

34 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

Is that county,s total wage bill or does it omit the 50% paid by Global which in effect doubles their wage structure!!!!!

Their wages might be in Global "offshore accounts"

• 2 weeks later...

I know United have been garbage all season, but one player I wouldn't mind seeing should he become available would be John Rankin.  He played under Yogi at Hibs as well and seemingly rated him as a manager quite highly.

I'd have Mckay back as well but I presume his wage demands would still be too much for us, even on loan.

I always liked Rankin when he was with us before who can ever forget this goal some really pi$$ed off rangers fans walked with us after the game and they couldn't believe we could beat them. Not so sure about him coming back now as we are laden  with midfielders  

• Agree 5

I was just reading his wickapedia page.

I'm surprised that no one from a London junior club could understand someone from Bellshill. :tongueincheek:

While at Manchester United, Rankin was sent to Corinthians, along with Ben Muirhead, by Alex Ferguson, to gain experience at Manchester United in the near future. However, his time there was a disaster, as he spoke about how both players struggled for food while they were there:

We got up one day and had our breakfast but then ate no lunch and no dinner. The day after we had NOTHING to eat. Our next meal was lunch the following day. We hadn’t eaten for two days and had been at six training sessions so it was a struggle. The other players knew where to go for food but we couldn’t communicate with anyone.

Corinthians in Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

I see DUtd have released Dow & Spittal both players who have at times displayed skill and looked like they may be prospects to come good. Personally I'd like to see us try take a chance on them and I'm sure combined the salary would be less than a player like Rankin who I don't think we need.

• Agree 1

John Rankin?? He's 33 in June, legs have nearly gone and we have at least 3 better players in the position he plays. If we had a team of young boys then yes, his experience would be valuable. But there is a lot more areas of the team that need strengthening before we ever looked to him.

Sorry John, good player for us in the past. Can't see signing him as a positive move now.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

John Rankin?? He's 33 in June, legs have nearly gone and we have at least 3 better players in the position he plays. If we had a team of young boys then yes, his experience would be valuable. But there is a lot more areas of the team that need strengthening before we ever looked to him.

Sorry John, good player for us in the past. Can't see signing him as a positive move now.

Absolutely. We have a limited budget and an overabundance of midfielders. John Rankin, good as he was, is a luxury we can't afford. Same to be said of Barry Robson.

2 hours ago, ict247 said:

I'm amazed how many people are suggesting we sign the same Dundee Utd players that weren't good enough for the Premiership this season...

Players that played in a TEAM that weren't good enough for the SPFL.

p.s. What's the Premiership? 

• Disagree 3

16 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

My point is that I've seen fans showing interest in numerous Dundee Utd players that as stated, made up a large part of the squad that weren't good enough for the Premiership. 

P.s - The SPFL stands for the Scottish Professional Football League which Dundee Utd are still a part of. The Premiership is the league table that our club participates in. Hope this clears it up for you.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

How many times?!
The Premiership is tier-one of the SPFL. Then comes the Championship, League one, League Two.
All are in the SPFL.
Aberdeen, Alloa, Ayr and Annan. All SPFL teams, regardless of 'division'.
The SPFL is NOT the 'new' name for the old SPL. It's now called the Premiership - not the SPFL, although it is the highest level of it.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Billy Mckay is under contract at Wigan til summer 2017. Its likely that Wigan will want a fee or loan him out again.

In the circumstances, they will probably be happy simply to cut their losses and get him off their wage bill but their are still likely to be other suitors with pockets deeper than ours.

2 hours ago, ICTRoughi said:

Not convinced Billy Mckay is the answer. I'd be more interested in signing Miles Storey on a permanent.

I will support you on that one Roughi.

• Agree 3