Inverness CT -V- Motherwell

Scotty

That result wasn't good enough for top 6, and we aren't good enough for top 6. Why is that? This season's injury list is a valid excuse, but there's more to it than that.

We've just had too many poor results at home (even before considering that we also went out of both cups at home to unspectacular teams.)

0-1 Motherwell

0-0 Partick

0-2 Hamilton

0-1 St J (who had 10 men most of the game)

1-1 Dundee

2-2 Utd

0-0 Partick

0-1 Hamilton

1-2 Motherwell

From that list of shame, we picked up a mere 4 points from a possible 27 against mediocre sides. Just a few more points from that selection and we'd be looking seriously at top 6! :ohmy:

The other thing that stands out from that list is the abysmal lack of goals.  Wrong tactics? Lack of credible striking options? A bit of both, IMO.

Some stats on goals - on the last 6 occasions we scored twice in a game, we won every time! All 12 of our wins this season came when we scored 2 or more, in fact our overall record in games where we scored 2+ goals is W12, D2, and just 1 defeat (4-2 at Parkhead). So it's a pity we can't manage 2 goals more often!

• Agree 1

Another miserable Sat afternoon 

Finished the game with no recognised striker on the park after replacing Liam Hughes with Danny Williams wtf is going on why no straight swop,for Foran. 

Why the feck do we not have a recognised striker on our books and come to think of it why have we only 7 players signed up for next season wtf are the board playing at.

I thought we played quite well in the second half, but the tactics are woeful.  We should have won the game, but Yogi has lost the plot.  One win in 8, that is relegation form i'm afraid.

On another note, there was no need for some of the abuse directed towards Williams today from a minority.  Petty, immature abuse from grown adults.  Gimps.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Today was only the second game I have been able to attend this season. Watching ICT though can be summed up in one word 'Frustrating'. Tactically we were set up ok but we don't seem to have the players to play the system effectively enough. The passing probing game is all very well but we have a tendency to over play it resulting in a slowing down of the game to a snails pace and we then become so pedestrian that errors are made. The amount of times we gained possession and then allowed Motherwell to recover their shape by dithering on the ball with inefective passing sideways and backwards which then resulted in an attempt at a pass that could have been made far earlier. In order to play this style of football effectively we need to be more direct with it and include more of an injection of pace. On the two or three times we did so we caused Motherwell all sorts of problems but we just didn't do it on enough occasions and more than not we didn't look as if we had the confidence to do it looking instead for ever shorter passes leading to nowhere.

Motherwell though were a poor side today and we should have been able to put them away with a goal or two to spare. The last minute goal was a result of a desire to get 3 pts but even then it should have been defended against but we had lost our shape and allowed a run down the middle of the park for a one on one with Williams. Well done though to them for sticking it out and then hitting us on the counter attack in the dying moments of the game - the sort of thing we haven't managed to do this season.

Might be able to make the Hearts game on Tuesday but not looking forward to seeing more of that and especially against a better side than Motherwell.

Williams sold the first then compounded the break for the second by getting caught in no man's land out of his box for the second.

The most telling thing, yet again, is our inability to trouble the opposition keeper.

We are definitely suffering for overcomplicated tactics. What is wrong with playing our only real striker as a striker?

We have lost quality in Christie and clearly from the players brought in and comments made by Hughes we have no real clue as to how to replace the players we are losing.

Falkirk fans always say that playing people out of position and poor recruitment was Hughes biggest weaknesses.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

That result wasn't good enough for top 6, and we aren't good enough for top 6. Why is that? This season's injury list is a valid excuse, but there's more to it than that.

We've just had too many poor results at home (even before considering that we also went out of both cups at home to unspectacular teams.)

0-1 Motherwell

0-0 Partick

0-2 Hamilton

0-1 St J (who had 10 men most of the game)

1-1 Dundee

2-2 Utd

0-0 Partick

0-1 Hamilton

1-2 Motherwell

From that list of shame, we picked up a mere 4 points from a possible 27 against mediocre sides. Just a few more points from that selection and we'd be looking seriously at top 6! :ohmy:

The other thing that stands out from that list is the abysmal lack of goals.  Wrong tactics? Lack of credible striking options? A bit of both, IMO.

Some stats on goals - on the last 6 occasions we scored twice in a game, we won every time! All 12 of our wins this season came when we scored 2 or more, in fact our overall record in games where we scored 2+ goals is W12, D2, and just 1 defeat (4-2 at Parkhead). So it's a pity we can't manage 2 goals more often!

We do OK against the better teams - which is a relief. If we hadn't got 16 points agains Aberdeen and County we would be definite favourites for relegation. 

The injury/bad luck thing masks the fact that Hughes recruitment has been questionable. We needed another striker while Mckay was on our books. So we were one short when we had Ofere. We have signed a succession of not-strikers since Ofere left, so it is no surprise we have struggled to score.

it is all very good playing pretty football, but there is no threat up front. Mutombo looked threatening today, but we have seen all season that one player can't do it on their own. 

We have also failed to replace the one bit of class we had in our team Ryan Christie. 

• Agree 1

Another smash and grab from a team that we dominated and gifted goals to. Same story on numerous occasions this season. Can't blame injuries for Hughes's mystifying substiututions either. What has Jordan Roberts done to deserve being kept on the bench?

Two must win games next to avoid gettting sucked into the playoffs. Get it sorted guys or we're well and truly flecked!

Edited by Row S

"I'm honest enough to say I don't know what I'm going to get from this team now"

Comment from Yogi on BBC website this evening. Very bizarre thing to say, surely that's his job.  Is he thinking of walking?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Row S said:

Another smash and grab from a team that we dominated and gifted goals to. Same story on numerous occasions this season. Can't blame injuries for Hughes's mystifying substiututions either. What has Jordan Roberts done to deserve being kept on the bench?

Two must win games next to avoid gettting sucked into the playoffs. Get it sorted guys or we're well and truly flecked!

The Roberts thing is baffling. 

Don't think we need to win the Hearts game, but the Utd game is a must win. 

"If we keep doing that we are going to be right up against it. It's simple, we need to put the ball in the net more often and keep the back door shut."

1. Well play Storey as a striker and not a winger and he will score goals when he is in the box

2. Play the defenders in there right positions

#MEEKINGSFORCENTREBACK

• Agree 1

Just now, WYNESS101 said:

"If we keep doing that we are going to be right up against it. It's simple, we need to put the ball in the net more often and keep the back door shut."

1. Well play Storey as a striker and not a winger and he will score goals when he is in the box

2. Play the defenders in there right positions

#MEEKINGSFORCENTREBACK

Actually, I think Meekings is ok at right back. It is certainly preferable to when Devine played at right back. Today's goals were nothing to do with the defence. The first was a mare for Fon Williams, the second because we were trying to win the game. 

8 minutes ago, Hiro said:

"I'm honest enough to say I don't know what I'm going to get from this team now"

Comment from Yogi on BBC website this evening. Very bizarre thing to say, surely that's his job.  Is he thinking of walking?

I'm honest enough to say that Yogi needs to get it sorted. Pretty quickly. 

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Actually, I think Meekings is ok at right back. It is certainly preferable to when Devine played at right back. Today's goals were nothing to do with the defence. The first was a mare for Fon Williams, the second because we were trying to win the game. 

Devine has made quite a few mistakes over the last month and has being a bit of a bomb scare. We've played our best football with Warren and Meekings at CB

The first 25 mins we were going strong tactics were good and opportunities came but that's where we fail nobody seems capable of putting the ball in the net or we flounder about trying to find space to shoot or nobody seems to want to take a crack at goals. after 25mins we went into our shells a bit we lost momentum and became stale.

Second half, renewed energy and we looked as if we wanted to take them on and give them the licking they deserved, it wasn't happening and we started messing about mid field and passing back when there were opportunities there to break forward.

Their goals, clangers both of them, I would have thought that our keeper with his experience would have positioned himself better for the first and dealt with it even though it was a fluke. The second well full marks to them they saw there was one man defending and made us pay for nor anticipating a break bad defending at a crucial time.

The plus Draper it was his power, foresight and character that made him burst into the box and win us a penalty my man of the match.

No blame on John Hughes  tactics were good.  it was the execution of opportunities missed that cost us the match and that is the responsibility of the players.

Incidentally David Raven was sitting in the stand a couple of rows in front of me.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

The first 25 mins we were going strong tactics were good and opportunities came but that's where we fail nobody seems capable of putting the ball in the net or we flounder about trying to find space to shoot or nobody seems to want to take a crack at goals. after 25mins we went into our shells a bit we lost momentum and became stale.

Second half, renewed energy and we looked as if we wanted to take them on and give them the licking they deserved, it wasn't happening and we started messing about mid field and passing back when there were opportunities there to break forward.

Their goals, clangers both of them, I would have thought that our keeper with his experience would have positioned himself better for the first and dealt with it even though it was a fluke. The second well full marks to them they saw there was one man defending and made us pay for nor anticipating a break bad defending at a crucial time.

The plus Draper it was his power, foresight and character that made him burst into the box and win us a penalty my man of the match.

No blame on John Hughes  tactics were good.  it was the execution of opportunities missed that cost us the match and that is the responsibility of the players.

Incidentally David Raven was sitting in the stand a couple of rows in front of me.

The problem with the first was our keeper didn't deal with the cross and so was out of position when the ball came back in. 

I though Draper was pretty ineffectual until they scored. After that he seemed to come onto a game. We looked so much more dangerous when our midfield ran at them. 

I thought the official choice of Mutombo as MoM was spot on. He looked our biggest threat. 

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

The problem with the first was our keeper didn't deal with the cross and so was out of position when the ball came back in. 

I though Draper was pretty ineffectual until they scored. After that he seemed to come onto a game. We looked so much more dangerous when our midfield ran at them. 

I thought the official choice of Mutombo as MoM was spot on. He looked our biggest threat. 

Keeper didn't deal with the cross, correct and all the more reason he should have repositioned himself better and quicker.

I agree Draper was ineffectual at times but did show some really good flashes in the first period and later as you say in the second.

Mutombo could have shaded it but for me he overdid the ball play and beat himself almost as often as the Moths.

Definitely right about midfield

Good comment Gnu.

Said weeks ago that the games against the Lanarkshire sides would define our season....and so it has turned out: 2 defeats at home to cr@p opposition has condemned us (IMO) to bottom six and some unnecessary bum twitching. In fairness, it sounds like we were going for it and got caught on the break, but it's too late for that: We f@nnied about for most of the season with tiki taka and no striker + insufficient talent to pull it off. That's no disrespect to our team, but as I watch El Classico, I realise that only the very best teams in the world can pull that style off. I hope JH has cottoned on too and abandons this boring, risky strategy....assuming we escape the drop! And the recruitment/retention for next season has been a shambles, but I'll keep that for another thread.

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 1

We weren't good today but I thought we were unlucky to lose.  Motherwell surprised me both by how poor they were and how negative they were.  It looked like they were playing for a draw and wasting time from the start, although to be fair to them, that was probably good tactics as a key outcome for them was not to lose against a team challenging them for a top six spot.  We wanted the result more than them but we just didn't have the rub of the green.  We should have beaten Motherwell today although it was not a top six team performance.

I thought both Fon Williams and Storey had their poorest games that I've seen.  Meekings is not a right back and seemed reluctant to get beyond the halfway line.  Draper is effective when he surges forward - Yogi needs to tell him to get forward a lot more.  Mutombo does a lot that is good and positive but far too often he then chooses the wrong option and undoes all the good work. I didn't see Liam Hughes at County but I thought he put in a good shift today.  I have no idea why Hughes took him off when we were chasing the game and needed height in the box.  My MOTM was Tremarco.  Always gives 100%, put in some decent crosses and also got into great positions at the back post,

Whilst were generally a bit more positive than sometimes, our problem remains that we do not get forward enough with pace and as a result we allow the opposition to get lots of bodies behind the ball.  We then simply do not have the quality to open them up.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

Today was only the second game I have been able to attend this season. Watching ICT though can be summed up in one word 'Frustrating'. Tactically we were set up ok but we don't seem to have the players to play the system effectively enough. The passing probing game is all very well but we have a tendency to over play it resulting in a slowing down of the game to a snails pace and we then become so pedestrian that errors are made. The amount of times we gained possession and then allowed Motherwell to recover their shape by dithering on the ball with inefective passing sideways and backwards which then resulted in an attempt at a pass that could have been made far earlier. In order to play this style of football effectively we need to be more direct with it and include more of an injection of pace. On the two or three times we did so we caused Motherwell all sorts of problems but we just didn't do it on enough occasions and more than not we didn't look as if we had the confidence to do it looking instead for ever shorter passes leading to nowhere.

Well said.  After two games you can see what the problems are, but Yogi's been around all season and still doesn't seem to have a scooby.  "Frustrating" certainly sums it up although having watched rather more games than you, I would put another word in front.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic