Inverness CT -V- Motherwell

Scotty

Lot of knees being jerked.

We were unfortunate to lose. Fair play to Motherwell who had a go and got their reward with injury time goal. Put the long knives away, worse things happen at sea. On the down side, Storey was rubbish today after his sparkling display against County.

You can only use the "smash and grab" excuse so many times. Why is it that we're on the end of so many muggings at home this season? It's exactly the same script time and again. Eventually you have to admit it can't just be bad luck. Tactically we're a soft touch. We play like sand dancers for 90 minutes, knocking the ball around our own half like a low intensity training drill while our opponents hit fast and hard on the break. We need to get the likes of Story and Mutombo on the ball in and around the box as often as possible. Our current strategy has Danny Devine in possession more than our whole forward line put together.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

One of the worst games of football i have seen. Motherwell were poor but for us being a home team needing a win to get in the top six we were terrible.

The way we play is horrendous to watch, sideways and backwards passing all the time, there is no pace or quality to the way we attack. The amount of times we play passes back to Fon Williams is incredible. Miles Storey is our only recognised striker yet we play him on the wing, then when he goes up front we take him off. The changes made today were laughable, when we eventually made any. Hughes seems to take so long to try and change things. We are trying to win the game so we take Meekings off and replace him with Horner. Why not Jordon Roberts, if we are wanting to win the game then surely he must be a better option. 

Its going to be a long and nervous last seven games, lets hope we can get enough points to stay above 11th place. At the moment im not sure we can.

Edited by SteveA
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Disappointing result. Thought we shaded it as better team. First goal embarrassing. We should not have lost  

In terms of players, back four ok, Tremarco was my man of the match and very unlucky not to have scored.

We criticise Vigurs, but he did have urgency about him after his goal, so was up for it. Draper was poor, tending to pass poorly but won the penalty. Polworth had a quiet game. Mutombo was lively and in some ways our best hope.

Up front, Hughes is being played out of position but worked his socks off. He won a lot in the air but lacked back up. Storey was ok.

Both Williams tried hard, would like to see Ryan W get more game time to see what he is capable of, as he seems lively. Not sure whether Meekings may not be fully fit, hence being replaced, as he was reluctant to take the defence on.

We should have won today, or at least got a point, so top 6 looks a gonner. Hopefully we get points against Hearts and United, but both will be tough.

We need to hope Hamilton lose tomorrow in Aberdeen.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

If Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd go through the rest of the season winning the same number of points per game as they have till now, then we could lose all our remaining games and still stay up.  I'm sure at least one of them will do better than that, but even with pretty poor form we should pick up enough points to stay ahead of the two of them.  

It's next season I'm worried about.

• Agree 2

Some interesting takes .

Agreed that continual passing back to the goalie is a sign of weakness or of lack of confidence , or both. Either way it is an abdication of responsibility and, in a sense, a passing of the buck. Which has been a source of frustration to my little  overseas soul  several times ;  maybe 'cos I feel that winning games depends directly and absolutely  by aggressive play in the opposing team's 's half of the field, not ours.

In the games I've seen, albeit on video, it is very frustrating to watch because there is no way a lovely blooter from the goalie into the opposition's  half of the field is going to guarantee forward progress into a dangerous area  for us at all. Without possession, and without a definite idea in the minds of the players what they can do with the ball ,IF they get it, where do we end up?

Generally speaking, Yogi should forbid pass backs to the goalie  which are unlikely ever to even have half a chance to win games unless it's a last desperate act to save the opposite team from scoring, like. 

And heavily fine full backs who get rid of the ball by passing  across the  field to the other full back in an "After you Claude"  pose .  What does the left back think the right back is going to do with the ball anyway ? Deliver it forward,? Surely not -- that might actually contribute to the possibility of scoring for goodness sake? And, if so, why did he not think of such a stirring move, himself eh?

Plus discourage sideways passing  in a tight circle because the goal is at the North end not the east or west end and  if the ball reaches that goal area it's a heck of a ways away from our goalie.  So what's to lose? Meaning that forwards and wingers must be up the field ready for some sort of a pass and ready to contest for the ball if need be. 

Looks like  maybe SP should take a break, put a wet compress on his forehead and take a pill.         :whoosh:O.K I will, so there!

The top six was never in our own hands with 3 games to go. Honestly it wasn't  3 wins for Dundee, Partick and 1 for Perth.

Two wins are still possible, we have struggled against teams that just sit in.

May as well rack up the points with a possible top six or a calmer end to the season.

Heart will create gaps at the back and so will United as they play a more attacking game.

8 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

The fat lady has been singing for united for quite a while, she might be shutting up by the end of the season.

Don't rule out Dundee Utd to complete the great escape via the play-offs, I think they have enough momentum and the players to bridge that gap to Kilmarnock, and then the play-off is against either Hib's or Falkirk

3 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Don't rule out Dundee Utd to complete the great escape via the play-offs, I think they have enough momentum and the players to bridge that gap to Kilmarnock, and then the play-off is against either Hib's or Falkirk

I actually meant they might not be in any danger by game 38

14 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

The Roberts thing is baffling. 

Don't think we need to win the Hearts game, but the Utd game is a must win. 

Is it Roberts turn to fall out with Hughes? He was easily our best player first half against Hamilton, and hasn't featured since

I think we need to get at least a point against Hearts, because Dundee Utd away looks a tough one

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I think we need to get at least a point against Hearts, because Dundee Utd away looks a tough one

While it would be good to get something from Hearts, the Utd one is more important, as a win next week would make it highly unlikely that they could catch us. 

9 minutes ago, sneckfan said:

Someone retweeted this:

Relegation watch. Form guide (Pts taken over last 6 games).

Dundee Utd 10

Hamilton 5

ICT 4

Kilmarnock 2

Grim. But if we can repeat that over the next 6 games it will be just enough. 

Going slightly further back, over the last 10 games, only Killie are on a worse run of form than us and that's only because we have a slightly better goal difference over those 10 games.

• Agree 1

Surprised some people took positives from that game. Players like Meekings, Hughes, Storey played in the wrong positions. Not fielding our strongest team. Negative tactics again,  possession football where, we have it they cant isnt working - sadly we arent Arsenal or Barcelona so dont have the players for that, all we do is play passes and put ourselves under pressure and into mistakes, slow build up at almost pedestrian level, players like Vigurs who want to offload the ball as quicky as possible even if it plays the next man in trouble. The team seems right now to reflect Yogi's negative attitude towards the club, signings and contribution of the current players.

I dont mind if we loose because we played well or were entertaining - sadly we are timid, tedious, predictable, without creativity and in each defeat its deserved.

• Agree 4

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic