David Raven

ed

Raven confirmed , "at the minute I haven't had an offer and it looks like I will be leaving. There are still a few weeks left but I cant see the situation changing"

"I`ve had the best years of my career up here"

The experienced full back has been told by John Hughes he won`t be getting his contract extended.

13 minutes ago, Ten4 said:

He has been told by John Hughes he will not be offered a new contract - Daily Express.

Very disappointing if true , another of our best players let go :-( 

• Agree 2

If that's true I'm absolutely gutted he's been a great servant for us and would be really sad to see him go. Surely Josh isn't going to be a permanent righ back with Warren and Devine in centre :cry:

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Ten4 said:

Raven confirmed , "at the minute I haven't had an offer and it looks like I will be leaving. There are still a few weeks left but I cant see the situation changing"

"I`ve had the best years of my career up here"

The experienced full back has been told by John Hughes he won`t be getting his contract extended.

Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, who on earth gave you a red dot?  You are the bringer of the bad news, not the cause of it!  Red dots to John Hughes on this one, I think.

• Agree 4

16 minutes ago, jagster said:

If that's true I'm absolutely gutted he's been a great servant for us and would be really sad to see him go. Surely Josh isn't going to be a permanent righ back with Warren and Devine in centre :cry:

Reckon that's what Yogi is planning unfortunately, Meekings and Warren are the BEST pairing in defence, wonder if he's going to sign cover for the defence?  looks like he's getting rid of the horses and signing donkeys.

• Agree 5

Gutted with this news, Raven had a slow start with us but firmly established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Great engine and willingness to get forward which surprises me so much that Hughes isn't keen on him.

Surprised and disappointed by this news.

This summer really is make or break for Hughes as he will me making his own team with only a few regulars from this season. He needs to pull the finger out and start identifying players that can make a real contribution to this team. Too many of his signings to date have failed to impress at all.

• Agree 5

JH has made a number of errors of judgement particularly on matters of recruitment and retention.

He has brought in players many of whom have been mediocre and some of whom can't even aspire to mediocrity yet here we have one of our most consistent and reliable defenders loyal enough to want to commit to the club and the city for the rest of his career and it appears he is about to be shown the door.

Getting very close to the final straw as far as I am concerned.

• Agree 5

I would expect to start seeing more of Horner playing, JH seems to be keen to oust some of our key players over the last few seasons in favour of those he is bringing in whether better quality or not - similar to his match tactics he is becoming more stubborn in his approach at the club. Very disappointed to see DR leave, but really comes as no surprise - he has been a great player at RB and really made the position his own - I will be even more gutted if he goes to another SPFL club which I'd say looks probable.

He will forever be remembered for running into the box and scoring the winning goal to get us to the Scottish cup final.

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I would expect to start seeing more of Horner playing, JH seems to be keen to oust some of our key players over the last few seasons in favour of those he is bringing in whether better quality or not - similar to his match tactics he is becoming more stubborn in his approach at the club. Very disappointed to see DR leave, but really comes as no surprise - he has been a great player at RB and really made the position his own - I will be even more gutted if he goes to another SPFL club which I'd say looks probable.

He will forever be remembered for running into the box and scoring the winning goal to get us to the Scottish cup final.

Very much what happened at Hibs and Falkirk before that. Everybody makes mistakes, the big problem with Yogi is that he seems to fail to learn from his.

• Agree 4

Surely you only let players go when you have a better options lined up, with Hughes I very much doubt that.

David Raven was not only a decent fullback, but a player a lot of fans had an affinity with.

No wonder we struggle with crowd numbers when popular players are moved out for no apparent reason.

• Agree 6

I can see why Yogi didn't offer him a new one. Why would we offer him a new one? I mean we can just play a center back at right back who is clearly not comfortable in that position leaving a bomb-scare in that central position. :blink:

Not a huge surprise I'm afraid. Big summer for Yogi, his signings in this period will make him or break him. Going by previous signings and apparent lack of any scouting I'm guessing its going to be the 2nd option. But please prove me wrong.

Raven was not only a good player but a nice bloke too. Sad to see him go.

• Agree 8

Raven is not just a solid, composed, experienced, reliable defender. He's also good going forward and involved in a high percentage of our goals in recent years. Abysmal decision if true. Hopefully Yogi is amenable to reconsider. Still time to rectify this.

• Agree 6

Absolutely gutted by this news, if true.  I must admit I had a 'feeling in my water' that it might happen, only due to the inordinate amount of time it was taking.

I feel sure Raven would have been good for another couple of years, and I doubt very much that we've seen the last of him in Scottish football.

I'd hate for him to end up at one of our competitors, especially 'over the bridge'

He has been a great servant and will always be remembered for, amongst other things, his great extra time winner against Celtic in the Cup semi.

I'm sure we will all wish him well.

• Agree 3

Well one thing for sure is that Raven wanted to stay. Doubt if he would have pushed for much more money either. As Yngwie pointed out he is 31 - have the injuries paid their toll ? I have an old word and a new word for an old situation to provide my equation - Narcissism  +  Tokelyesqueness = Conflict > Narcissism = Control > No contest

Aye, it's gutting. Raven just loves it up here.
Please, not Aberdeen! - their favoured right-back, Shay Logan, has hinted he'd be keen on a move back down to England.
I can see McIness raising-an-eyebrow at this news and showing some interest.

• Agree 2

I can see a lot of Premiership managers raising an eyebrow and one or two raising their 'phones to call his agent. Very disheartening indeed. I would not be ion the least surprised to see him at County next season and couldn't blame him for it. He is settled in the area, loves it , wants to stay and we are inexplicably not offering him the option.

• Agree 5