David Raven

ed

Oh dear is all I can say. From what Hibs and Falkirk fans have said this type of decision shouldn't surprise us.  I would sincerely hope Yogi has a sitable replacement lined up however I fear that he'll probably end up pulling Lee Bullen out out of retirement.

• Agree 2

Much as I want Raven to stay, I think the focus on Sunday must be to give full support to those on the park and not those off it.  This is a crucial game.  Win and we are virtually assured of staying up.  Lose and it is squeaky bum time.  The team is bigger than one individual and we cannot afford to have distractions.  Of course, should David feature in the match day squad or if we are getting humped, then that's a different matter!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Much as I want Raven to stay, I think the focus on Sunday must be to give full support to those on the park and not those off it.  This is a crucial game.  Win and we are virtually assured of staying up.  Lose and it is squeaky bum time.  The team is bigger than one individual and we cannot afford to have distractions.  Of course, should David feature in the match day squad or if we are getting humped, then that's a different matter!

It's entirely possible to do both.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Kingsmills said:

It's entirely possible to do both.

Totally agree, Kingsmills. The two issues are not mutually exclusive. Whether DR plays or not is a contributory factor in the game. Of course we'll support the team to get this crucial win, but IMO if Raven is fit and doesn't play, it will damage our chances and I will make my feelings known.

• Agree 4

I can't help but feel ashamed of the managements decision regarding a fantastic servant who has already expressed a desire to stay. I think the management owe us, the season ticket holders, an explanation at the very least as to why he hasn't been offered a new deal as he is a key and very popular figure at the club. Is there any way we, as fans, can show our displeasure? He has just favourited a tweet of mine saying I'll vent frustration at the management!

• Agree 11

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

Totally up for this! Not sure the "He scores when he likes" ditty will quite hit the spot, funny as it is. "One David Raven" is unoriginal, but appropriate. Any better suggestions?

One David Raven does it for me

• Agree 2

It's Tokely and Munro all over again.  As renegade stated, why not keep him as an experienced back up if Yogi has doubts about him being a first team regular for next season.  This will be the worst decision he has made by far if he doesn't sign Raven up.  I can see him at Ross County or possibly even a Dundee next season, both looking more likely to finish above us next year already.

• Agree 4

What chance do we have of persuading our most important players to agree to long term contracts if the club treat loyalty like this? We have an experienced, loyal and IMO a very good SPL right back yet we don't want him? Unless JH has a great replacement on a PCA then this is madness.

Raven has on numerous occasions said how much he loves it here and how its been the most enjoyable part of his career, he has said in the press that he would be willing to commit to the club for a long term contract but the best we can do is offer him a 1 year extension (last season) or not offer him a new contract at all this season.

As mentioned before if there is a reason why he is being released then a little bit of PR from the club would go a long way. Seems that JH prefers the closed book method while leaving the fans to speculate whats going on :frustrated01:

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

It's Tokely and Munro all over again. .

The Tokely and Munro situation was similar yet different, both were stalwarts and club legends who had given so much, but both were past their best and fading fast - it was never going to be an easy decision or time to move them on but had to be done. Raven however is still performing at the highest level and has consistently done so since arriving with probably another 2 years left at least.

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

The Tokely and Munro situation was similar yet different, both were stalwarts and club legends who had given so much, but both were past their best and fading fast - it was never going to be an easy decision or time to move them on but had to be done. Raven however is still performing at the highest level and has consistently done so since arriving with probably another 2 years left at least.

Absolutely this.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Don't think there's an issue with people being moved on stalwarts or no providing those who replace them are as good and younger or better. This certainly wasn't the case after Munro was pushed out.

Dave is a well liked, good, hardworking player who sees to fit Hughes' 'gud honest laddie' to a T. He seems to want to stay but yet he's unwanted dispite Hughes moaning about how hard it is to get players up here. Unless Dave is demanding a silly amount of money (which is unlikely as he's not been made any offer it seems) I can only assume it's a personal issue/dislike the manager has for the player.

Sad state of affairs. 

• Agree 8

It's no secret that I am not and have never been enthusiastic about having JH as our manager but I still think that calling for his sacking is extreme especially as it's not going to happen.

However, I do think he is under an obligation to state clearly and publicly why no contract offer has been made to someone who has voiced his desire to remain and who is regarded almost universally by fans as still one of our better players.

He's quick enough to complain publically about scarce resources or not having funds to stop players he wants to retain moving elsewhere. Please just give us his reasoning for not wanting to retain the Rave...If there is a decent and rational explanation let's have it.

• Agree 3

Apologies if someone has already suggested this one but are we good enough for a rousing rendition of the tune that Dave the Rave made his own when he covered it at the Scottish Cup celebrations in the Northern Meeting Park (can be seen again on Youtube).

Anyone play the guitar?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TtotheOtotheM said:

Hopefully not another summer of awful trialists and vague comments in the press about the lack of money then...

Think you have got it bang on.

Maybe time for the Chairman to stick his head above the parapet and re-assure us with his vision for the future.   

• Agree 6

I would like him to stay. Devils advocate though means I cannot be outraged because I do not know the full picture.

As fans we only get a glimpse of things on a Saturday afternoon, we do not know the financial situation of contracts, attitudes at training, personal relationships amongst players, potential replacements available.

David has said he would like to stay, im glad this is case. I don't know the club reasons for not offering a new contract but I presume there will be one. We may find out we may not. This is the way football is. If we are struggling next season then fans can blame the manager/club for poor decision making, if we have an excellent right back and a successful season noone will talk about the decision to release Raven. If I'm honest I think the first scenario is more likely but time will tell.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I was going to start a Poll asking who the fans consider to be our best ever right-back. But, it would clearly be a bit of a 'loaded' question with an obvious agenda, in light of the recent reports surrounding Raven's likely departure!

But, I was also struggling to recall enough players to justify a Poll.
I've not had the chance to look up former players, but off-the-top-of-my-head, I've only got:

• David Proctor
  • David Raven
  • Mike Teasdale
  • Ross Tokely

Obviously, players like Graerme Shinnie, and Josh Meekings have slotted in there at times - but who am I overlooking? Somebody obvious? :laugh: