Scotland versus England

Professor

I do not pretend to understand the division that has appeared in the recent years between Scotland and England.  I can only assume that it is politically created.  There are a large number of English born people living in Scotland and an even greater number of Scottish people living in England.  We are the same people.  The only difference that I can see is that Scottish people are more insular than the British people and do not have the opportunity to understand and discuss political issues.

I understand that there is some favour toward the SNP and a deep dislike for UKIP and the BNP??   But the reasoning forthis is not logical.  A large number of people dislike UKIP because they claim they are racist?  Yet they favour the SNP, who in turn favour remaining in the EU - who are themselves 'racist'??  Why else woud the EU allow immigration from the EU countries to continue freely, yet demand that immigration from outside the EU can only be achieved with strict standards of entry??

The SNP under the newe policies has only come into being in the last few years - whereas UKIP has been arguing for people's rights and for the good of the country for more than twenty five years.  There are approximately five million people living in Scotland - UKIP achieved more than four million votes in the election!

The SNP favour remaining in the EU.  The voter's have turned a blind eye to the fact that due to the EU policies, our leading industries have had to close with millions of people losing their jobs to enable a single market to be established - a situation from which England has never recovered.  After fifty years in the EU - there has only been further deterioration  in England and in the Union and the Member countries on the whole.  The Scottish people could not have missed the bullying and the blackmail that the EU subjected Greece to, could it?  It could not have missed the bullying that it subjected ireland to to accept a bail out loan? Could it?  Yet the SNP favour remaining with the EU, and foresee the EU paying for the changes that the SNP envisions for Scotland - does no-one understand the high cost that these loans will mean for every man, woman and child in Scotland?

I am all in favour for people to make their own choices in life - but, it is vital to make those choices in the full knowledge of all the facts, and not to make your choice based on what you are led to believe in the media and from the television - by the way, did you know that the EU have also control over these issues as well?

• Disagree 6

It is always nice to welcome new posters but you clearly have an unsavoury agenda.

There is, of course debate and an element of tension on both sides of that debate, about whether Scotland should remain part of the Union. There is also debate and an imminent referendum on whether the UK should remain part of the EU and it seems that there is the possibility at least that Scotland will vote differently from England. That is hardly a surprise as Scotland often and increasingly votes differently from England on a range of matters which is partly what fuels the independence debate.

However to characterise it as Scotland against England is quite wrong. One thing you say that I agree with is that 'we are the same people'. With that I agree but, I don't know about you but I not just 'the same people as people in England but people in France, Ireland or Norway for that matter or indeed I am the same people as people from Libya, Nigeria or New Zealand.

It is a fact that the SNP have more members born in England than all the other political parties in Scotland combined. I hope, for the sake of democracy, that the next Scottish parliament has a broad political spectrum and that any SNP majority, should there be one, is modest. I also hope, for the sake of both democracy and moral decency, that UKIP which you clearly espouse and probably represent continues to have no place in it.

PS. I thought, when I saw the title of the thread that it was going to be a discussion on the reintroduction of the Home Internationals so I was doubly disappointed to see it was an incoherent outpouring of xenophobic bile.

PPS. I would hold them every two years spread over the season and include the Republic of Ireland.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 6

15 hours ago, Professor said:

I am all in favour for people to make their own choices in life - but, it is vital to make those choices in the full knowledge of all the facts, and not to make your choice based on what you are led to believe in the media and from the television.

I think most people would agree with this.  It is a shame therefore that just about every statement in your two lengthy posts are factually incorrect.  Perhaps if you made the effort to find out what the facts actually are rather than simply inventing some statements to support your prejudices, you just might come to a different political point of view.

• Agree 5