John Hughes to Celtic?

PerfICT

Anyone else think that JH will be interested in having a pop at the Celtic job, now that Deila is on his way out the door? Given that he was interested in the United job, I'd be surprised if he didn't want to put his hat in the ring for this, especially as he doesn't hold back in his admiration of the club. I don't think he'd stand a chance because I'm sure they'll go for a bigger name (e.g. Moyes), but they might not be able to attract that calibre.

My question is - if JH requests permission to talk to Celtic, should KC refuse it? IMO the answer is "no" because this might well be JH's dream - grant him permission and he doesn't get it, he might have renewed enthusiasm here on the basis that he realises that he's not quite in that league yet. If he were to get the job, then good luck to him and we move on.

Interesting thought.  It hadnt even crossed my mind to think about Hughes as a contender when i read the Delia statement on the BBC.  Yes he might approach KC and ask to throw his name into the ring, however would Celtic relistically entertain the notion.  Compared to some of the other candidates, John Hughes CV does not pose a big enough selling point.  Yes we won the Scottish Cup but with a team he virtually inherited from Butcher.  We only have to look at the players he has brought in here to see his transfer accumin isnt the greatest (this may also be founded on a poor scouting network).  Also he did just sign a new 2 year contract, will Celtic want to pay compo for his services?  Does his wage requirement opposed to the others out weigh that?

On the plus side for Celtic, he may bring the best out in Stokes should he resign.

21 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Anyone else think that JH will be interested in having a pop at the Celtic job, now that Deila is on his way out the door? Given that he was interested in the United job, I'd be surprised if he didn't want to put his hat in the ring for this, especially as he doesn't hold back in his admiration of the club. I don't think he'd stand a chance because I'm sure they'll go for a bigger name (e.g. Moyes), but they might not be able to attract that calibre.

My question is - if JH requests permission to talk to Celtic, should KC refuse it? IMO the answer is "no" because this might well be JH's dream - grant him permission and he doesn't get it, he might have renewed enthusiasm here on the basis that he realises that he's not quite in that league yet. If he were to get the job, then good luck to him and we move on.

The question will not arise. The Celtic board would not have been interested in JH at the end of last season and will be even less so after the season he has had this time around.

Moving this to UK Football as it's not really a 'rumour'.

...there is another scenario - what if Alan Stubbs were to get the Celtic gig (he's certainly in the frame)? The Hibs job would definitely be an option for Hughes, even if he had a fairly unsuccessful stint there previously. He does now come with better credentials than he had at that time and he does still live in Edinburgh by all accounts....

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

...there is another scenario - what if Alan Stubbs were to get the Celtic gig (he's certainly in the frame)? The Hibs job would definitely be an option for Hughes, even if he had a fairly unsuccessful stint there previously. He does now come with better credentials than he had at that time and he does still live in Edinburgh by all accounts....

Given their attitude to his last spell in charge the Hibs fans fans site would implode at the thought of JH returning to Easter Road.

I think the only manager currently managing in Scotland that Celtic would be remotely interested in is Warburton.  Somehow I don't think he is available.  Celtic are a big club and just about guaranteed Champions league football every year.  There will lots of quality managers home and abroad who will be interested in the vacancy.

If JH wants to talk to Celtic or Celtic want to talk to him then I dont believe ICT will stand in his way. Dont think it will happen though. BUT, depending on who is chosen, there may be a ripple effect where other jobs open up .....  

Current odds are showing Roy Keane, Davie Moyes, Steve Evans, and Neil Lennon as early favourites and Charlie Nicholas has the most ludicrous comment I have read so far for supporting Keane for the job !! nothing to do with managerial ability or anything else but ....  "I would like Roy Keane to get it because I think he would sort a lot of people out,"

Yogi won't get the Celtic job in a month of Sundays.  Had it not been for his playing career, Keane wouldn't be being talking about, let alone for a second time.  His record is very patchy at best.  The same could be said for Henrik Larsson, who I see is being mentioned once again.  Fantastic player, Celtic legend but what's his managerial record like?  Very very mediocre.

Celtic will opt for Lambert or Lennon as both are out of work 'cheap' options, there will be stories of Rodgers, Monk, Moyes but its likely all 3 will be after jobs like Villa and will see opportunities for high profile championship or lower premiership clubs as a bigger draw than a fleeting European adventure followed by travelling to provincial Scottish grounds.

Yogi - not a hope in hell of a job the profile of Celtic. If Hibs don't go up Stubbs might be out anyway but not sure Yogi would be high on that radar either. Sadly for Yogi I don't see many upwards steps available in Scottish football only sideways or backwards.

Edited by bdu98196

I don't see JH being in the frame. His record would hardly support that. Despite the fact that he has matured with the years this is a very big job and he has not been successful at a very high level so why would the Celtic board  consider  him?

Better to stay the course at Tulloch. Which is good for us at our stage.