What a year this is turning out to be for celebrities (or infamous non-celebrities) falling off the perch. Breaking news here in the last hour that Prince has now gone to join David Bowie, Glenn Frey (Eagles), Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire) and Merle Haggard, in the 2016 band !  Even worse, when checking this, I see that both Grizzly Adams and the commandant from Police Academy have also died this year .... as did our former infamous mayor Rob Ford !

Does anyone else recall, must have been at least 10 years ago, this site had a Dead Pool competition?! (You picked 10 celebrities who you thought might die that year, and I think you got more points the younger they were when they died).  I seem to remember doing quite well in it, but can't remotely remember who I picked. There were, inevitably, some people who complained that games like that shouldn't be allowed. But predicting somebody's demise is very different to causing their death, or actually wanting them to die.

Yep, remember it well. It was Bronson who ran it on the old site and we werent able to bring the old data across when we left Sportnetwork. found this

The cult of celebrity becomes more and more baffling as time goes by, doesn't it, especially the strange news priority given to the recent deaths of entertainers? In particular there has been the baffling “lead story” status in the British media of the deaths of American singers like the case referred to.

I realise that there have been a few recent deaths in the entertainment world but, on the grander scheme of things, does the demise of many of these people really merit so much and such prominent attention?

More and more people, such as participants in tacky reality shows, seem to be becoming famous on the basis of less and less merit – to the extent that many of them are now famous simply for being famous.

Apparently there was a recent “Twitterstorm” when the West Highland Free Press (good on them!) relegated to page 16 a small story about the visit to Skye of an American entertainer. However the reality is that this individual is principally famous for being married to a woman who in turn is principally famous for having a huge ar$e!!!

Equally strangely, this woman's stepfather (stepmother?) is now far more famous for “not being a bloke any more” than he/she (??) is for having previously won the Olympic decathlon.

(I hope the carefully un-spadelike and euphemistic term “not being a bloke any more” doesn't provoke a knock on the door from the Serially Offended PC Thought Police! There are other, simpler terms I would much rather use, but have possibly already offended the movement with the ever lengthening acronym which begins "LG.....".) (Not you Laura:lol:)

You really do have to wonder how much media attention is actually afforded these days to individuals with no conceivable merit whatsoever.

I mean, what is the intrinsic merit of being the President of the Jumbo Jacksy club?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

You make a very fair point about the ridiculous modern cult of 'celebrity' yet you can't help yourself from making yet another prejudiced jibe at a minority group wholly irrelevant to your principal point.

And did you ask them if it was OK to become offended on their behalf?

5 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Apparently there was a recent “Twitterstorm” when the West Highland Free Press (good on them!) relegated to page 16 a small story about the visit to Skye of an American entertainer. However the reality is that this individual is principally famous for being married to a woman who in turn is principally famous for having a huge ar$e!!!

The story actually referred to an "American man visits Skye".  The story was featured on "Have I got news for you" tonight.  Ian Hislop referred to the very low key reporting as "proper journalism".  Brilliant!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Why do you presume that any offence taken is vicarious ?

Kingsmills.... if you have NOT actually been a bloke from birth as I thought, then I will accept that you are actually taking offence on your own behalf.

On which subject, maybe I have in addition misunderstood your exact grounds for offence since I also have no knowledge of your trouser size:smile:

But my goodness. People are becoming SO precious these days!

• Agree 1

Charlie- you are a bad boy.  

In addition to avoiding the production of down-to-earth English , a trait which is very flattering to us uneducated folks, your posts may have offended the Brits  who don't like words like g.psy being openly expressed, despite the fact that the word does exist in the Oxford  Dictionary etc. and is in common use in other advanced nations ,such as Canada for example, and has been used for centuries to boot to simply describe someone or something  which is just reflective of their origins but in no way whatsoever can be assumed to be read as a vicious contemptuous slur on them or their forbears. THAT is an assumption  of others who  feel and claim to be descended from the Gods and who simply want to profit by it in some way. Otherwise what right does that person have to declare that his opinion is worth more in the general scheme of things  than the  likes of Shakespeare, or IHE , or Scotty or  Scarlet Pimple? --or Cammie?

Meaning that no one, by the turn of this century, will be allowed to express any  thoughts in the English language, which has grown over centuries to  reflect all kinds of changing conditions, because some weirdo  do-gooder or high ranking politician decrees that the rest of us of plebeian stock must adhere to his or her views just so there can not exist any possibility at all that that any one anywhere on earth can ever be offended---or, more likely, because he or she needs the votes.?

Have we all gone mad....?