Tansey and Draper

Big G

From the talk on Sportscene last night they brought up the Tansey to Aberdeen talk again, so perhaps this isn't going away and with the McInnes comments regarding more steel and fight in midfield required in the Dons team, we already know he is a Draper admirer so this may have growing foundations.

After yesterdays game, I am starting to wonder if there is a rift between the 'senior' players and the manager starting to develop too. As I put on the matchday thread the behaviour of Foran, Raven & Warren is interesting and we know that those guys along with Draper, Meekings, Tansey and Esson are pretty close and more so pivotal to the club.

It would make absolute sense for Aberdeen to want Tansey and Draper.  The two of them have been instrumental in our success in recent seasons and would help get the best out of what is a strong Aberdeen attack.  If Aberdeen are interested and the players are interested (and who could blame them if they were), then I would imagine that the first thing the club would do is to see if they can afford to make them a better offer to persuade them to stay.  If not, then they should be asking for more than £400,000 for the pair, although one always has to bear in mind that if they play out their contract then they could go for free.  Discussions around this could well be what Yogi referred to as "spinning plates".  Clearly the departure of the two of them would increase the number of new players we would need to bring in but it would also provide a bit more cash both to do that and to retain other out of contract players.

One appreciates that making decisions around this type of uncertainty is not easy.  But it is part and parcel of the manager's job and how they deal with with it is a major part of how managers are judged at the end of the day.  At least now, we know (barring a miracle) that we will be playing Premiership football next season.  That is one major uncertainty that might have prevented some players wanting to commit to ICT.  Hopefully, with that uncertainty lifted we can get some good news on the contract front in the next week or two and can start to build for what will a very challenging season next year.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

It wouldn't surprise me, but with a three year contract, would the club not ensure that it was set up with a higher fee to trigger the clause earlier in the contract?

One would like to think so but remember it's our board you are talking about. They run the club prudently in general but don't have much of a track record in being able to ensure high fees for departing players...

The only surprising thing would be the low size of the fee.  Aberdeen's scouting network seems to consist of the Inverness - Aberdeen train timetable, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to see them wanting Draper as well as Tansey.

I had heard that they were in for Draper in January before Tansey but we flat out refused.

Edited by Sir C the 3rd