Matchday Thread - Arabs on BT Sport

It was a mirror image of quite a few home games this season, too little too late. By the time the fight back kicked in the game was gone.

Totally agree about Josh getting back to centre back, but unfortunately don't hold out much hope on the Dave the Rave front.

Interesting to see ins & outs but nae getting overly excited yet!!!

Let's do it all again next season but with a big improvement.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Official attendance was 2587.

Cheers, CaleyD - that does seem more realistic.
I wondered at first, if it had been our previous attendance v Dundee United published in error. Obviously that wasn't the case. Instead, it does seem it was simply a first-digit 'typo' with 3,587 rather than 2,587 being published.
However, all the 'recognised' football database outlets are 'using' the higher figure and that's what'll eventually be included in our official attendance stats. Yay!

For the record, our average attendances since returning to the SPL/Premiership - (2 figures for clarity) and actual:
2010/11: 4,500 (4526)
2011/12: 4,000 (4023)
2012/13: 4,000 (4038)
2013/14: 3,600 (3558)
2014/15: 3,700 (3733)
2015/16: (currently 3,800) (3752)

If my arithmetic is correct, we need 3,723 at the home game v Dundee to 'finish on' the rounded 3,800 figure for this season.
And, beating last season, thus recording a second-consecutive 'rise' in attendances, requires an attendance of 3,419.

An attendance of 3,380 or fewer would see us drop below last season's average - which would be a dreadful return following our once-in-a-lifetime season.

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

My take on the game was that we pretty much dominated it but yet again, poor defending cost us the game. For the first, Murray was not closed down, second and third goals were just poor defending. The " experiment" of playing Meekings at right back is not working. He gets caught out when attacking and is slow to get back (and invariably goes towards central defence when he does). Needs to go back to centre back asap. Devine has bombscare moments in most games and it can only be down to a lack of concentration. His distribution is poor as well and I think this is impacting on Warren's performance as his have not been great either. Too many players off the pace until 0-3 down but could easily have got a draw which we would have deserved.

Fans posting on here saying not renewing season tickets, not going to attend next season due to this season puzzles me. With football, you cannot predict how seasons/games will go, not even Celtic/Man Utd can do that. Let's look forward to the new season and get behind the team and ditch some of this, largely undeserved negativity from some posters who think we have the divine right to win every game, just look at the Dundee result yesterday to see how difficult it can be to win games in this league.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

Fans posting on here saying not renewing season tickets, not going to attend next season due to this season puzzles me. With football, you cannot predict how seasons/games will go, not even Celtic/Man Utd can do that. Let's look forward to the new season and get behind the team and ditch some of this, largely undeserved negativity from some posters who think we have the divine right to win every game, just look at the Dundee result yesterday to see how difficult it can be to win games in this league.

Agree with this. Not just this league, but fitba in general. This has already become an overused phrase but...Just look at Leicester....or Man City, with all their money etc they may have a season where they win nothing, and possibly not even 'win' a champions league place.

i am a supporter of ICTFC therefore I will be renewing my season ticket, and I will be hoping for but not expecting a good season. And if we get relegated then I will again renew my season ticket and once again hope for the best. This is what being a fan/supporter is all about. 

If we start talking like only attending if we are winning we are in danger of being like Celtic and The Rangers and Man Utd fans.....#facepalm

• Agree 7

3 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Cheers, CaleyD - that does seem more realistic.
I wondered at first, if it had been our previous attendance v Dundee United published in error. Obviously that wasn't the case. Instead, it does seem it was simply a first-digit 'typo' with 3,587 rather than 2,587 being published.
However, all the 'recognised' football database outlets are 'using' the higher figure and that's what'll eventually be included in our official attendance stats. Yay!

For the record, our average attendances since returning to the SPL/Premiership - (2 figures for clarity) and actual:

If my arithmetic is correct, we need 3,723 at the home game v Dundee to 'finish on' the rounded 3,800 figure for this season.
And, beating last season, thus recording a second-consecutive 'rise' in attendances, requires an attendance of 3,419.

An attendance of 3,380 or fewer would see us drop below last season's average - which would be a dreadful return following our once-in-a-lifetime season.

The vast majority of sites ue a single source...Opta...these days (or get figures from others who use them), so when there's an error it goes out to everyone.

Last week they had Danny WIlliams in the squad instead of Ryan Williams.

• Agree 1

• tm4tj pinned this topic

As usual the SPFL have not fully acted on this. All very well deducting 3 points from United but say that as it's too close to the end of the season it's impractical to replay the game. Apart from the fact that both teams wil probably not have 11 first team players signed after this Saturday, there will be no appetite to play it. Still, 3 more points would have guaranteed us 7th spot.

Edited by Row S

8 hours ago, Row S said:

Apart from the fact that both teams wil probably not have 11 first team players signed after this Saturday, there will be no appetite to play it.

I'm not an expert on player contracts and have no insight, however I'd expect and from information seen before understand contracts will be until the end of May, especially as the Scottish Cup Final is usually later in the month. Depending on schedule, international competition etc this can vary in date, plus to have any contract that suggests it terminates after last league game would be a massive error for any team who might have made the final.

I just hope we win or draw at the weekend or we are entitled to feel very aggrieved at the decision not to allow a replay. Matters are not helped when our manager seems to be quite content about the decision not to replay or give ICT points according to his comments in todays P & J. Hopefully the boys are feeling a bit hard done to as well and go out and give it laldy in our last game. I hope so, I've had to miss a few games lately, but I'm aiming to be there. Enjoy your holiday boys - it's been a long hard season, but you're still the best.

1 hour ago, CaleyHedgehog said:

Matters are not helped when our manager seems to be quite content about the decision not to replay or give ICT points according to his comments in todays P & J.

Maybe he hadn't heard that Mackinnon was the new Utd manager when he gave the interview?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

I'm not an expert on player contracts and have no insight, however I'd expect and from information seen before understand contracts will be until the end of May, especially as the Scottish Cup Final is usually later in the month. Depending on schedule, international competition etc this can vary in date, plus to have any contract that suggests it terminates after last league game would be a massive error for any team who might have made the final.

My understanding of the situation is that those players were sent on season long loan to lower league. Although the season was over for clubs in question the lower league season isn't actually finished till after play-off finals so technically the players were still registered to loan club

3 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

My understanding of the situation is that those players were sent on season long loan to lower league. Although the season was over for clubs in question the lower league season isn't actually finished till after play-off finals so technically the players were still registered to loan club

It's to do with the old transfer deadline date. Any player joining a club after 1st April 2016 (appropriately enough) is unable to play for that club until the following season. The two Utd players rejoined the club at the end of the season for the clubs they were loaned to, which was after the 1st of April. 

It's  not surprising Utd were caught out - it's not as if anyone at the club held a senior position within the SPFL when the breach occurred. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Of course they could have replayed it. Had the match been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch then nobody could seriously suggest that even the SPFL would end the season without some teams having completed their fixtures. 

But the magic 8 ball said otherwise. 

You get the impression that SPFL board meetings are a constant steam of people saying "What? How did that happen?" and policy-making on the hoof. 

9 hours ago, CaleyHedgehog said:

I just hope we win or draw at the weekend or we are entitled to feel very aggrieved at the decision not to allow a replay. Matters are not helped when our manager seems to be quite content about the decision not to replay or give ICT points according to his comments in todays P & J. Hopefully the boys are feeling a bit hard done to as well and go out and give it laldy in our last game. I hope so, I've had to miss a few games lately, but I'm aiming to be there. Enjoy your holiday boys - it's been a long hard season, but you're still the best.

That's a good old saying 'give it laldy' which is just what we have to do and after a poor home season lets hope that's what we see on Saturday.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:31 PM, Sneckboy said:

Sneckboy....these figures look pretty bang on to me but I haven't gone through them in enough detail to establish whether the rounding convention you use enables you to promote 3750 to 4 sig figs to 3800 to 2sf. If you've been going with 3751 then if you adopt what I would argue is a better convention using 3750, then you might be able to tweak Saturday's target crowd down just a bit!

On the other hand, I'm maybe not convinced that using 2sf (3800, 3600 etc) actually achieves anything since all it does is says that differences of less than 50-100 are insignificant. Using 4sf, a 2015-16 average of, say, 3756 is a marginal increase while 3748 is a marginal decrease. To return them as 3800 or 3700 tends to convert that to no change or a more significant drop.

I note with satisfaction that "post Armageddon" in 2012, the average actually went up, albeit slightly!:smile: What I note with less satisfaction is that, ironically, since Top 6 finishes and cup semis and finals became a feature from 2013, average attendances have taken a sudden downward hike of around 400 and have stabilised at a new lower level of around 3600. We also can't legislate for more localised effects like how many silly kick off times in the various seasons have been inflicted by broadcasters, creating tweaks of various magnitudes to the averages.

• Scotty unpinned this topic