Yogi

Bronson

A cup win, missing out on another by a penalty shoot-out, Europe, 3rd place, two top six finishes, a 7th place finish despite terrible injury problems.  With a resume like that it should never have ended like this.  Sad, but probably for the best.

• Agree 10

How much will this hurt the budget for next season? Did the board have this in mind when bidding for Miles? Will this allow a u-turn on Raven? Will this encourage  or discourage those with pending offers to sign? 

So many questions. No answers. Scary times.

who's next? 

Dont really think this solves any structural recruitment issues for the club and puts our performance next season in serious jeapordy. 

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the league, extremely poor staff retention at season end and an incapacity to generate funds by selling players due to financial constraints on contract lengths. 

We overachieved by 4 places last year. Next year will be worse.  No manager, no strikers, no left midfielder,  loss of brill, roberts, mutombo .

We need to take the opportunity to  change our strategy on recruitment and player investment if we want to succeed.

I assume thats where yogis frustration comes from. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

How much will this hurt the budget for next season? Did the board have this in mind when bidding for Miles? Will this allow a u-turn on Raven? Will this encourage  or discourage those with pending offers to sign? 

So many questions. No answers. Scary times.

who's next? 

Some people say we don't have a budget (yogi bear)

Eh?  The board have given the management team the biggest budget ever and broke into a rainy day fund to try and ease the injury crisis.  It was Yogi who spent most of the time moaning about it and spending it on dross like Liam Hughes.

• Agree 6

Compensation for sacking him was the last thing we needed to fork out, but his position was untenable.

Thank you Yogi for the most successful year in the club's history! In hindsight, it would have been best if he'd left at the top, immediately after the cup win, but it unfortunately went to his head.

The United fiasco was the beginning of the end. Anybody who's prefer to be at another club should be shown the door. The next issue was the accusation that players weren't man enough to play through injuries; then the Raven spat and the open criticism of the board, not to mention his love affair with all things Celtic.

No doubt, Hughes will believe that he'll go on to bigger and better things. He won't.

For us, there's the who next question. I'm concerned that the compo might force us to go with Foran. I'd prefer to see him as assistant, but we might have to cut our cloth.

Does anyone have Raven's number??!

Thanks for the memories, JH: Time for the club to move on!

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Maybe the Board, should also take a long hard look at themselves, hardly driven the club forward have they ?

Sorry but I dont know how you can make that out. We have progressed year on year since 1994 and are still progressing. Indeed I feel it is progressive of the board to take the stance they are taking. Yes its going to cost us to remove the manager but we can't continue with someone who continually bad mouths our financial position. Yogi would have been made well aware of our budget constraints before he put pen to paper the first time and would have seen for himself the constraints before signing an extension.

Which brings the cynic out in me. Is he really a secret agent for CFC who have sent him on a secret mission to destroy the club that they despise even more than tRFC? If Yogi fails in his mission will Pearse Brosnon suddenly appear as a football manager at TCS

• Agree 9

6 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Eh?  The board have given the management team the biggest budget ever and broke into a rainy day fund to try and ease the injury crisis.  It was Yogi who spent most of the time moaning about it and spending it on dross like Liam Hughes.

Rainy day fund ... Have you heard yourself, sounds like we keep our finances in a biscuit tin under the stairs.

We had our most successful season 12 months ago financially, yet this season we were still scraping around for players to bring in.                       

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 5

27 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Maybe the Board, should also take a long hard look at themselves, hardly driven the club forward have they ?

You're kidding right? 

• Agree 2

What a difference a year makes!  Who would have thought it would end like this after the euphoria of the Cup win and qualification for Europe just twelve short months ago. I feel sure that Hughes must have been content with the proposed budget when he signed his extension contract a few months ago.  So, unless the board has done a massive U-turn and not come up with the money, I don't get why he has so openly been critical of them in the media.  That approach had only one way it could turn out.  No one person is bigger than the club.

So, time for a fresh start.  There will be no shortage of candidates, small budget or not.  I just hope the new manager can have as much success as Hughes clearly had.

Onwards and upwards? I can only hope so!

• Agree 2

i just cant get my head round where Yogi is coming from, surely he knew the budget before he signed his contract, so to them come out and complain seems stupid. He made his position untenable at that point 

• Agree 4

Have to thank Hughes for all he has done, but have to say that on many occasions I found the style of play very boring very few attempts at goal. So now to get ready for a new chapter hopefully we get someone who promotes attacking football and I suppose we are losing the manager at the right time giving the new manager a pre season with the players

• Agree 6

It's ridiculous that we've got ourselves into this situation. Only a year after our greatest ever season the board and manager having a playground spat.

One thing I do want to say on this is that the same thing happened with Yogi at Falkirk. He eventually bullied the board into giving him a much higher budget and it ended in disaster. The signings didn't pay off and the club almost ended up in administration.  I don't want want that to happen to us so if the manager can't work within  the prescribed budget there's only 1 solution.

• Agree 13

Disaster, The trigger point appears to have been the denial given to Yogi to speak to Dundee United. From that point on it appears he took the huff and despite a 2.5 year contract it appears he could not settle down.  Let's hope this is a trigger point at the right time in the 'season' but it is a major challenge for this club. 

• Agree 1

A sad end but if compensatiion hasn't been agreed why is this in the press? Again a very amateur way to conduct any business. Whoever let this go out should be sacked NOW! 

With regard to a breakdown in relationship with Cameron why is everyone assuming it was Yogi to blame? It takes two to tango!

Our chairman should also review his position.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 5

4 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Disaster, The trigger point appears to have been the denial given to Yogi to speak to Dundee United. From that point on it appears he took the huff and despite a 2.5 year contract it appears he could not settle down.  Let's hope this is a trigger point at the right time in the 'season' but it is a major challenge for this club. 

Yes, I agree that the Dundee Utd approach for Hughes appears to have been the 'beginning of the end'.  In hindsight we would have been far better off letting him go with some compensation, rather than where we are now having to pay him off.

• Agree 2

On reflection we should have dumped him when he showed more than a passing interest in the Dee Utd job.

It showed that he had eyes elsewhere, which I'm sure made the players think.

• Agree 3

31 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

A sad end but if compensatiion hasn't been agreed why is this in the press? Again a very amateur way to conduct any business. Whoever let this go out should be sacked NOW! 

With regard to a breakdown in relationship with Cameron why is everyone assuming it was Yogi to blame? It takes two to tango!

Our chairman should also review his position.

Agree however the fatal mistake that Hughes made was going public. I'm almost certain that Butcher and Cameron and other managers before will have had arguments but they were kept in house. For some reason Hughes chose to berate the club in public and I can't imagine that will have gone down well.

• Agree 2