Yogi

Bronson

50 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I suppose there's no chance but it would be awfy nice if Celtic fans got hyped up about the possibility of Brendan Rodgers and ended up with Yogi...

That would be a cracker Kirkie :lol::lol:

This has been coming for some time.

i agree with many of the comments, but it creates uncertainty and worry. I hope the Board move quickly to get a new Manager in, as otherwise we will struggle to have a squad in place.

The right appointment may encourage some players to sign on again, such as Raven or Roberts, but there is no chance if this becomes a drawn out saga.

I have an open mind about Foran. He is a motivator, but the lack of experience is a downside. It could work if he has an experienced assistant, or if he becomes assistant to an experienced Manager. Whoever it is, they need a good scouting network and contacts, to find the Drapers and Tanseys of the future. A willingness to give game time to some of the youngsters would not go amiss either.

Personally I find the situation very sad. Two dramatic semis and two finals, one of which is my highlight as a fan, with Hughes in charge, so he should go with our thanks and best wishes.

I am worried about next season (but I always am) but just hope that we get a united front: Board, Manager and fans all pulling the same way, and working for the best of the club.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the positive times and memories Yogi!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3

Overall I'm disappointed that it has come to this. The Raven situation and the recruitment in the last 10 months or so are certainly black marks beside Yogi's name. However, I would argue that Yogi has done much more good than bad. The technical improvements in Warren, Draper and Tremarco are down to Yogi in my opinion. The style of football, although not quite everyone's cup of tea, is mostly good I think. He must also be given credit for introducing Christie to the first team squad as soon as he was appointed manager (Butcher gave Christie no game time). 

Personally, I am not too concerned for next season. There is the makings of a solid team still at the club. In a new manager I would like to see someone like Steve Lomas - young but with a bit of experience in Scottish football. I'd like to see any new manager be willing to be a bit more tactically adaptable i.e. If we're passing it about nicely but not going anywhere or creating anything let's go direct or mix it up in some way. I would also hope that the new manager is open to the idea of resigning Raven and Roberts. 

I will remember the Yogi era with pretty fond memories. Onward we go!

(I reckon if we'd had a pacey striker eg. Storey/Watkins/Mckay in July we could be remembering Yogi as the man who'd led us to a European tie against West Ham)

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 2

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:24 AM, ictfcsince94 said:

How much will this hurt the budget for next season? Did the board have this in mind when bidding for Miles? Will this allow a u-turn on Raven? Will this encourage  or discourage those with pending offers to sign? 

So many questions. No answers. Scary times.

who's next? 

Def a plan by board and maybe yogi as well. At least David is still on books till end May.

• Agree 1

If Yogi is to leave then I find this very very sad for the club as I hold him in very high regard for what he has achieved with this club.

If we are looking at a new manger I just don't feel Foran should be the answer, he's never even been an assistant manager never mind manager. Personally I think we look at a young up and coming manager like Gary Naysmith or Barry Ferguson. Both of whom played at the very highest level of football and have proven themselves at a lower level in Scotland as managers with East Fife and Clyde respectively. A fee would obviously be involved here but if we seriously cant afford to poach a manager from a league 1 or 2 side then serious questions have to be asked.

• Agree 1

I'm afraid the (non-existant) budget will determine who replaces Yogi. That means anybody in a job at the moment is out of the question and there won't be much affordable quality around in the guys out of work. Also, do we know what's happening with Brian Rice? There's always the chance that the new man will bring in his own assistant, which might mean more ocmpensation.

My guess is that we will be compelled to go with Foran, assuming he is interested. If that is the case, it is a risk, but that could be mitigated by bringing in somebody experienced to work beside him. It might just be an inspired outcome....you just never know in this crazy sport!

• Agree 2

Interesting times. I assume if this fiasco comes to fruition then it will be the first time a manager has decided to walk out of our club in such a manner.

Irrespective of the outcome I think it is probably time a full top to bottom assessment of how the club is run needs to be performed and the lessons learned taken on board as what is currently playing out is not showing the club in a positive light. The internal bickering and displays of egotism does not promote a happy environment and all those involved need to remember we are no longer a highland league club where this type of thing was a lot more commonplace.

It will be interesting to hear the player's views on this as many of them appeared to be happy with the playing side of the club.

Anyway the quicker this is resolved the better and the club can move on and hopefully learn some important lessons from this debacle.

• Agree 5

Smashing post there from Kingsmills.

Also, Calderwood is a terrible shout although I suspect the suggestion was in jest. We're looking like we're getting rid of someone who is trying to bully the club. We don't need another bully coming in.

• Agree 6

33 minutes ago, RiG said:

Smashing post there from Kingsmills.

Also, Calderwood is a terrible shout although I suspect the suggestion was in jest. We're looking like we're getting rid of someone who is trying to bully the club. We don't need another bully coming in.

Let's face facts, every manager worth his salt tries to get more money to strengthen the team. Because of the injury crisis he had no option but to look for more money and the board had no option but to approve it. The problems arose with next seasons budget and If it was set at the starting figure agreed for the previous season I think this was fair. I do not however agree to bringing any negotiations or arguments into the public domain. It should all be done behind closed doors and it's not only the manager who should be subject to these conditions. If our board felt Yogi's comments were out of order they should have disciplined him privately - just the same as any business would do. If they felt it was gross misconduct they should have dismissed him and let an industrial tribunal decide if he was due any compensation.

This situation is a shambles for both parties concerned and I would totally agree with Tichy Blacks Back in that a total, comprehensive review of how this club is run (and the people who run it - salaried and otherwise) is undertaken immediately. OBTW , with respect, I don't think Danny MacDonald has the level of experience to do this.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I am disappointed although not surprised that it has come to this.

Firstly, it's only proper to give credit where it is due. John Hughes deserves much, although far from all of the credit for our fantastic and historic success last season. I am fairly sure that that will represent the pinnacle of his career and while we are grateful for his contribution he should also be grateful to the club and Kenny Cameron in particular for giving him the opportunity when his stock was so low that Morton fans were horrified that he might be appointed to their manager's seat which was vacant at the same time as ours.

Whilst last season will, in my view prove to be the height of John Hughes's career, It won't be the height of the club's. They might not come round with great frequency but there will be managers in the future who will win silverware for ICT and lead the team into Europe but Yogi will always be the first and will always have his place in our history.

He could, in these circumstances have walked away with his head held high if he had been honest and straightforward and told the chairman that he could not improve on this frankly disappointing season on the money, a record sum for us remember, being made available to him.

Instead he chose to sign a new contract which is highly lucrative to him personally and only then try to blackmail and bully the directors very much into the public domain into giving him funds that he had already been informed were impossible without risking the club's future. Yogi has form in this respect and did precisely the same thing at Falkirk. Their board caved in and gave him money which he squandered on duds and has beens resulting in their relegation and very nearly financial oblivion. Hibs are another club yet to fully recover from his mismanagement.

I am pleased that our board has not capitulated and have put the long term viability first. Yogi, by acting in the way he has has cleverly ensured that he walks away with a wedge of ICT cash but in the process has, in my view severely tarnished that place he earned in the history of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

There will be uncertainty for a spell, we will have to examine the way we do these things in the future but the club will go on and personally I am now looking forward to the new season with a great deal more enthusiasm and sense of optimism than I was a few days ago.

Nailed it Kingsmills!

You wonder if Yogi misjudged the mood of the fans...or did just not care and was in this for himself? What I mean is, did he believe that, on the back of the cup win, he'd get the backing of the fans against the board as he pushed for a bigger budget, to the extent that he'd eventually get his way? Or was he actually looking for an exit that he could engineer to also get a pay-out?

I'm not sure - but what I am sure of is that he's not as good as he thinks he is and, like several managers before him who felt they'd outgrown the club, I doubt he'll ever emulate the success he got here.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ictbob said:

Jimmy calderwood or Kevin macdonald would be a good choice!

Said in jest methinks in response to oats  a couple of posts above

over lots of heads hence the red dots :clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

21 hours ago, caleyboy said:

I don't intend to argue with one who thinks he is so up to speed with everything but I would ask one question: If we can afford to pay compensation to our most successful manager and then pay a salary to a new manager, why do we have a problem with the playing budget. Your answer would be appreciated learned one.

I dont think I'm up to speed with anything. In the past when needing cash outside the budget people have gone cap in hand to others to make up the funds. Usually by way of short term interest free loans. As for the new manager it may well be that we are already paying his salary

In all honesty, though, Caleyboy would you like to see us get into serious debt in order to progress or are you happy that we operate within the funds we are able to raise?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

I dont think I'm up to speed with anything. In the past when needing cash outside the budget people have gone cap in hand to others to make up the funds. Usually by way of short term interest free loans. As for the new manager it may well be that we are already paying his salary

In all honesty, though, Caleyboy would you like to see us get into serious debt in order to progress or are you happy that we operate within the funds we are able to raise?

That is a very good question and I am intrigued to discover the answer.

• Agree 1