Foran

Bronson

Foran as Player-Manager with an 'experienced' coach sounds like the sort of cost saving measure that the club might have to resort to, depends on the size of Yogi's severance...... and given the 'bargain basement' Highes had to resort to, and the whole scernario whereby JH was sacrificied to keep the player budget even lower, expect to see more youngsters in the first team as well

It's inevitable that  somewhat negative comments are now the order of the day in view of the way in which this season has finished.

But ,in every case where one door closes, another one opens. This presents a fantastic opportunity for the Board to experiment ---well, just a little bit-- and appoint Richie Foran to the position despite his evident lack of managerial credentials/experience in this top flight.

However  he has some great strong points which I may, deferentially,  suggest would be:

a. Great player with skill and drive--the younger players would look up to him , seek his advice and be well instructed. And Richie is LEADER.

b. Relative youth on his side --which allows him room to experiment and implement strong plans with knowledge and enthusiasm as the backdrop, whilst gaining  every day in experience and confidence. The players would not necessarily look up to him as a God but, being closer to him in age, there might actually be a greater rapport and understanding between them of what he had in mind to achieve success.                                                                                                      AND, if they liked working with him ,they would soon realise that this would be a golden opportunity to listen and learn and further their own careers as well.

c. I don't think, despite all his affection for the players, that if they tried to  NOT take him seriously then they might very well get a shock since I don't think he would be the person who would suffer fools gladly. Players would follow his instructions or he would find those who would be willing to toe the line and work hard accordingly. Add to this his indefatigable drive and determination and who knows what an upbeat, confident team could achieve.

d. Being a younger man there is also a strong possibility that Richie may favour the younger player because such players  are more quick on the uptake, more ready to seek out and accept good advice and are generally stronger and fitter. All of which opens up vast prairies-full of ambitious  lads all ready to  accept a challenge. Good youth like challenges. Period.

e. So, rather than sit in my rocking chair with my proverbial Indian pipe and moccasins  to hand, may I respectfully suggest that getting Mr. Richie Foran into a managerial chair as quickly as possible would hardly be a big mistake but more likely to be a golden opportunity to raise the bar in this, yes, experienced, League but at the same time realise that his team would easily run the legs off  the other guys in short order. There would be no slackers on board and  who the heck has a better plan anyway?

Summary:  Golden opportunity 5 ...the other ancients 2.

11 hours ago, cantankerousoldgit said:

Hope this is not true. No disrespect to Ritchie as he has given the club great service but he needs to prove himself with managerial experience in lower leagues and is not what we need right now to steady the ship.

Just like Robbo did. Just like Charlie did. Just like Brew did

18 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Just like Robbo did. Just like Charlie did. Just like Brew did

I accept that this kind of appointment can and has worked at both this and other clubs and that any appointment is always a gamble. I just don't think that this is the right gamble to take at this time. I'd rather see him as assistant to someone with a respected managerial CV who can re-instil confidence and attract quality players to the club as this seems to be a major issue right now.