New Manager Thread

Kingsmills

Quote from the Herald 3 yrs ago. 

When announcing his decision to leave, (united) Houston cited further cutbacks combined with his own desire to progress as a manager as the motivating factors.

He added: "I want to be part of a successful Dundee United but I have my concerns - and my concerns are the fact that we have to compete on the pitch.

"There is only so much you can do if you continue to cut.

"I'm the first to understand that the club has to cut, they can't afford to keep going on.

"The Thompson family isn't a bottomless pit. The chairman and directors have to look after the financial side.

(However you can't base an opinion on a comment made to the press over 3 years ago he's still done a great job at Falkirk)

Edited by 12th Man

He's done an amazing job at Falkirk, when is his contract up down there? paying off JH and giving compensation to Falkirk for Houston might not be affordable.

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Quote from the Herald 3 yrs ago. 

When announcing his decision to leave, (united) Houston cited further cutbacks combined with his own desire to progress as a manager as the motivating factors.

He added: "I want to be part of a successful Dundee United but I have my concerns - and my concerns are the fact that we have to compete on the pitch.

"There is only so much you can do if you continue to cut.

"I'm the first to understand that the club has to cut, they can't afford to keep going on.

"The Thompson family isn't a bottomless pit. The chairman and directors have to look after the financial side.

(However you can't base an opinion on a comment made to the press over 3 years ago he's still done a great job at Falkirk)

Ffs you can't go for someone who wants funds to compete at this level. Get wise people

• Disagree 3

wonder if Ossie Ardiles has put his application for the job in yet. Disappointed if he doesn't consider us worth a punt. Please no thoughts on Chris Sutton or Richard Gough. tbh most people getting a managers job in scotlands top flight will involve some connection to one half of the old firm. Richie Foran might buck that trend and seperate us from those who would " not like the new guys background".

Would be interesting if they go for Foran, if the board let him select his own team, or if they pick his experienced back up

5 hours ago, bauhaus said:

wonder if Ossie Ardiles has put his application for the job in yet. Disappointed if he doesn't consider us worth a punt. Please no thoughts on Chris Sutton or Richard Gough. tbh most people getting a managers job in scotlands top flight will involve some connection to one half of the old firm. Richie Foran might buck that trend and seperate us from those who would " not like the new guys background".

Would be interesting if they go for Foran, if the board let him select his own team, or if they pick his experienced back up

To be fair, I don't think that very many ICT fans give two hoots about the manager's background as long as they do well for us and are loyal to our club.

Whatever the issues were with Terry Bucher and with John Hughes had absolutely nothing to do with their previous associations with Rangers and Celtic respectively.

We need to appoint the right man for our particular job whatever his background.

12 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I'd take any of the following...

Peter Houston

Jackie McNamara

Stuart McCall

Danny Lennon

Im hoping a few other names get thrown in there though as like last time I don't see it being that exciting.

All have been round the course before with varying degrees of success, My preference would be someone new to managing in the top flight if not necessarily new to management per se.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

agree with Kingsmills on this one, lets spread the net a wee bit wider and sop looking at the same old suspects. 

13 hours ago, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

LVG keeps saying he has one year left before he retires and he's never won the Scottish Cup :whistle:

Just been revealed that he has got a £400K bonus for winning the FA Cup and a £5m pay-off as part of the severance package.  Maybe instead he would like to buy our club :wink:

• Agree 5