New Manager Thread

Kingsmills

Delighted with this appointment. Always thought he was very commanding on the field so hopefully that will transfer to dugout. Sad he's hanging up his boots as I think he could still have done a job as super sub. Impressed with what he has had to say so far. Let's get right behind him - exciting times ahead. Well done Richie.

• Agree 2

Nice one Richie, I was feeling a little pessimistic a couple of weeks ago but now we have an appointment I'm really happy. Someone who will be totally committed and knows the team already, hopefully get a decent assistant on board and we are good to go. I think the club has made the right move at the right time. If Yogi was still in charge I would not have been looking forward to the new season, now I am and probably time to commit to that ST renewal.

• Agree 2

Not my first choice purely because he has no experience, but he certainly seemed like the sort of player that could go on to be a manager given his attitude and leadership qualities. I hope we bring someone in as assistant with a bit of experience, Brain Rice has to go IMO. 

With the current playing squad being so small, my main worry is on recruitment. He'll most likely have to look down south and in the divisions below us in Scotland as it seems we can't match the wages of other SPL teams. Hopefully with his experience playing at Southend, he'll have a few contacts down there. Good luck to him!

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, SMEE said:

Good luck Richie. At least we have a manager who is happy and settled with life in the highlands, so wont be looking to jump ship to the first decent job that becomes available in the central belt

Absolutely, the fact that Yogi lived up in Rosemarkie and his family stayed in Edinburgh, was unsustainable for a start, it was never going to create a good work life balance for anyone

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

Not my first choice purely because he has no experience, but he certainly seemed like the sort of player that could go on to be a manager given his attitude and leadership qualities. I hope we bring someone in as assistant with a bit of experience, Brain Rice has to go IMO. 

Rice is long gone.  Not widely reported but the severance package was for both Yogi and a rice. 

• Agree 2

John Robertson, Craig Brewster mk1, Charlie Christie all given first managerial appointment at ICT and more importantly all thrived in the environment. No doubts that the setup here will allow for the same thing for Richie.

• Agree 5

Very pleased with this news .It can only be good for the club to have stability .

Richie was a first class captain and is a great choice for manager . Four years 

shows how respected he is with the board and I wish him every success in his 

New venture . Really looking forward to new season .

• Agree 3

Quite happy with the appointment. He's always looked to talk the club up in an ambassadorial sense and is a determined guy who'll certainly have no trouble getting his ideas across. 

A little surprised by the length of contract. It's rare for any manager to get such a long deal. Especially when first appointed. Especially when it's their first appointment. But I'm not a board member so I don't know the ins and outs. 

My next door neighbour was a native of Ipswich and he travels there quite often to visit relatives.

He told me he recently met Butcher in the club shop in Ipswich, he said to Terry , "wished you stayed  in Inverness", Butcher "replied I do too"

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Good Luck Richie. 

I'm sure that you will be the type of manager who talks about "us" when talking about ICT, rather than discussing the club like you've got a vague interest in it but are not really part of it.

Your family must be happy too.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, lightwelter said:

With the current playing squad being so small, my main worry is on recruitment. He'll most likely have to look down south and in the divisions below us in Scotland as it seems we can't match the wages of other SPL teams. Hopefully with his experience playing at Southend, he'll have a few contacts down there. Good luck to him!

All new managers have to gain experience somewhere and what better place for Richie to gain his with a club he knows well, with directors, players, backroom staff and fans he knows well and in a part of the world where he and his family are happy and well settled.

• Agree 2

Absolutely delighted! Im sure the club have a plan for an experienced assistant as well. 4 year deal sounds a lot but there will be clauses for emergencies. 

Imho we have gone back to our clubs heart in appointing a hungry young manager. 

Go Richie we are behind you!!!

• Agree 10

I think the appointment and the Chairman's excellent statement sum up what this club is all about.  Richie 's lack of experience is a concern but he will have learnt an awful lot over the last few years from both Butcher and Hughes and will now have the full support from the players, the Board and others at the club.  I am sure this will be a popular choice with the fans as well but I only hope people don't set their expectations too high.  He'll be on a steep learning curve and will be working on a tight budget.  If we can stay in the top flight whilst playing rather more entertaining football than last year. I'll be happy. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

Imho we have gone back to our clubs heart in appointing a hungry young manager. 

This is sort of my feeling too; not that we made the wrong choices in Butcher and Hughes, obviously, but I like the idea that with the new contracts for existing players and this appointment, we are obviously focusing on developing a really tight-knit, continuity-and-team-spirit sort of ethos at the club, of the sort we had under Pele. I felt really pessimistic when Hughes started speaking out about the need for lots of new players at the end of last season; imho, we already have a very strong nucleus of players that would be welcomed at most other clubs in our league, and if we can add another striker and re-sign Roberts, then we will at least have a pretty impressive starting line-up, provided Richie can set them up to create a little more and press a little more than we did last season. I also suspect that the appointment will have the strong backing of the players and of nearly all of the supporters, although there are one or two people on the club's FB page inexplicably saying that they 'won't be back'. Who on earth did they expect us to appoint?       

• Agree 6

Delighted with this news, not surprised, but buzzing that it's now all official.

glad at the length of contract, as I'm sure it won't be an easy season coming up, and I just hope we can all be calm, and have patience? as it will take time for all his changes to be implemented and to become successful.

also happy to read things like 'togetherness' in the statement, as well as a focus on unity between all parties, and already stating a desire for involvement with the fans.

two weeks ago I was dreading next season...now I can't wait!!!!!! :ictscarf::ictscarf::cheer01:

• Agree 2