Where are the goals coming from?

Elgin1

Dalgetty Bay, early season players are slower until they get some training and fitness under their belt, I know having played the game for years. Also, if you are quick up top in football terms you don't need to be a flyer to play up front as long as your thought processes are quicker than the opposition. Riordan still has 3 seasons left in him and we could afford him as long as we could control him which seems to be the problem. John Robertson who played for Notts Forest was washed up when Clough picked him up and what a player he turned out to be. Your mate may be correct but I would be surprised if he had lost that much pace as I think he is still only 31ish, that said he never did rely much on pace to score his goals since they were in the Matt l'etisier mould, another slow coach.

6 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Dalgetty Bay, early season players are slower until they get some training and fitness under their belt, I know having played the game for years. Also, if you are quick up top in football terms you don't need to be a flyer to play up front as long as your thought processes are quicker than the opposition. Riordan still has 3 seasons left in him and we could afford him as long as we could control him which seems to be the problem. John Robertson who played for Notts Forest was washed up when Clough picked him up and what a player he turned out to be. Your mate may be correct but I would be surprised if he had lost that much pace as I think he is still only 31ish, that said he never did rely much on pace to score his goals since they were in the Matt l'etisier mould, another slow coach.

Derek Roirdon's agent found^^^^

• Agree 2

How can Derek Riordan have two good seasons left at this level when hasn't had a good season in five years?  He might have been a brilliant footballer once but that was long ago.  He hasn't played regularly since 2011 and hasn't made more than 11 appearances for a club since.  That includes failed spells at Alloa, St Johnstone and a team in China (before it became awash with cash), as well as the fact he's currently at York and done nothing whatsoever.  He was also offered a trial at Morton and didn't turn up.  A waste of a career and certainly not someone we should look to sign. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4

I know he is a difficult individual but beast him in pre season, give him regular games and put him on a pay to play contract re the first team and I can't see what the downside is, he would be playing on the biggest stage which might just give him the motivation to screw the nut. There is no doubting his football ability slow or not many of his goals were from outside the box, he scored almost 25 goals from left midfield for Hibs when did someone last do that?

I admit he is a gamble but that's the area we trade in: Storey no squad number, Brewster 1st time legs had gone could only play 30mins great target man,the Kilmarnock striker whose name escapes me was injured for two years before joining, we signed Ofere who was like Bamby on ice trying to control a ball, if we can sign someone like Ofere, Riordan is a no brainer at least he is a footballer. I'm not saying he is the answer just worth the gamble.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, wynthank15 said:

I know he is a difficult individual but beast him in pre season, give him regular games and put him on a pay to play contract re the first team and I can't see what the downside is, he would be playing on the biggest stage which might just give him the motivation to screw the nut. There is no doubting his football ability slow or not many of his goals were from outside the box, he scored almost 25 goals from left midfield for Hibs when did someone last do that?

I admit he is a gamble but that's the area we trade in: Storey no squad number, Brewster 1st time legs had gone could only play 30mins great target man,the Kilmarnock striker whose name escapes me was injured for two years before joining, we signed Ofere who was like Bamby on ice trying to control a ball, if we can sign someone like Ofere, Riordan is a no brainer at least he is a footballer. I'm not saying he is the answer just worth the gamble.

From what I can see Riordan is still contracted to York. How do you propose we sign him? You don't seriously think we spend money on him?

Why don't we sign his former strike partner Garry O'Conner as well then if we're judging players ability on what they did a decade ago. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade said:

From what I can see Riordan is still contracted to York. How do you propose we sign him? You don't seriously think we spend money on him?

Why don't we sign his former strike partner Garry O'Conner as well then if we're judging players ability on what they did a decade ago. 

No thanks to either of them. 

There are plenty other Miles Storeys out there and one or two of them will suit us fine. 

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

There are plenty other Miles Storeys out there and one or two of them will suit us fine. 

I think Renegade forgot to insert a :tongueincheek:

• Agree 2

I'd like to think our club takes players character and work rate into account when judging prospective signings. Riordan fails on both counts, even in the remote chance he managed to get back to SPL level fitness, you'd still be adding a bad apple to the dressing room. Who wants to work with a ned? 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, old caley girl said:

You mean players at English League 1 clubs, rarely first choice for their host club, constantly on loan, scoring  a mere handful of goals for any side he plays for...I am sure there are, but that takes a hell of a scouting system. 13 out of his 24 goals came for us in one season, so spotting his potential was a big plus for Yogi.

It also shows how much of a gamble it is

6 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

You mean players at English League 1 clubs, rarely first choice for their host club, constantly on loan, scoring  a mere handful of goals for any side he plays for...I am sure there are, but that takes a hell of a scouting system. 13 out of his 24 goals came for us in one season, so spotting his potential was a big plus for Yogi.

Apparently Yogi was not responsible for finding Storey, it was all Kc's doing... So he can't take any credit for that either 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I believe Storey was aquired through the usual system not Yogis? 

A lot of our squad over the years have come this way so Im optomistic. 

On 04/06/2016 at 7:59 PM, Renegade said:

We'd be guaranteed a white xmas in Inverness if o'conner joined us :whoosh:

• Agree 2

Loved the Bamby on ice description .We need a box striker and also someone willing to take a shot from 25 or 30 yds.I remember Barry Wilson scoring a stunner from about the halfway line. who else remembers that one other than Barry.it was in the first division i think.Great memories 4 or 5 goals a game quite regular.Better shut up or will be accused of going off topic.

3 hours ago, JoFrAl said:

Loved the Bamby on ice description .We need a box striker and also someone willing to take a shot from 25 or 30 yds.I remember Barry Wilson scoring a stunner from about the halfway line. who else remembers that one other than Barry.it was in the first division i think.Great memories 4 or 5 goals a game quite regular.Better shut up or will be accused of going off topic.

Was that not in the cup at Motherwell?

• Agree 1

On 04/06/2016 at 8:03 PM, old caley girl said:

I'm sure you're right ocg but who's going to find them?

On 05/06/2016 at 10:41 AM, CableGuy said:

Apparently Yogi was not responsible for finding Storey, it was all Kc's doing... So he can't take any credit for that either 

Do you really believe that?

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Do you really believe that?

ICT boss John Hughes revealed at the weekend that club chairman Kenny Cameron had a surprisingly hands-on role in the 21-year-old striker’s arrival and could be targeting a sideline career as a scout.

“Miles Storey is rapid quick,” said Hughes. “It’s all credit to the chairman who came in with the name actually."

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-are-Miles-better-with-new-forward-Storey-08102015.htm

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, ferben1994 said:

We'd be guaranteed a white xmas in Inverness if o'conner joined us :whoosh:

You mean Johnstone:tumbleweed:

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Of more concern, he has a troubled present.

Bit of an Xmas theme going on here.

4 hours ago, JoFrAl said:

Yes Barry Wilson's brother commented that the Motherwell keeper likes to come off of his line.

What ever happened to beni drum corp.

Edited by 12th Man