Willie the Carse

JockWatt

Surely I'm not the only one left alive who remembers this man ? !

He had been injured during WWI by having his nose shot off !!! We treated him very badly by calling him names, etc.

I  believe he owned the farm between the railway line and the ferry and had a herd of Highland cattle grazing on it with whom we used to play Cowboys and Indians.

What ever became of Willie ?  What ever became of the Carse ?  Or is it still there ?

Got me there Mr J Watt, our cowboy land was the canal banks and Torvean (Sandy Braes).... the rest of my time was down the Bught playing football. Sorry can't #help you with that one..................Scarlet might help you though.

Are you thinking of Carse Farm Jock?  It was still there on the south side of the railway line near the Muirtown Basin with the smelly burn from the distillery running through it in the late 60's but I don't know who had it.  It was demolished in the early 70's when industrial units started to occupy Carsegate Road South.

One of the names suggested for the new Merkinch Nature Reserve was the Willie the Carse Walk - stars that Willie was the farmer who sold the land on which most of the Ferry Houses were built. He was called a bogeyman because of his disfigurement. Path starts at Carnarc Crescent

On ‎1‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

One of the names suggested for the new Merkinch Nature Reserve was the Willie the Carse Walk - stars that Willie was the farmer who sold the land on which most of the Ferry Houses were built. He was called a bogeyman because of his disfigurement. Path starts at Carnarc Crescent

Thanks for your info, IBM and IHE.  Until your posts I'd never heard of "Willie the Carse Walk" or Carnarc Crescent !!  If it wasn't called Willie the Carse Walk, what is it called now ???

And it's "Jock" not Mr J. Watt, Mr Bughtmaster !  I too played on the pitches at the Bught !  AND won almost all o' them !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, JockWatt said:

Thanks for your info, IBM and IHE.  Until your posts I'd never heard of "Willie the Carse Walk" or Carnarc Crescent !!  If it wasn't called Willie the Carse Walk, what is it called now ???

And it's "Jock" not Mr J. Watt, Mr Bughtmaster !  I too played on the pitches at the Bught !  AND won almost all o' them !!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

Good on you Jock, you must have been on my side then. Great days weren't they.

15 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Jock - Google www.merkinchlnr.org.uk or Merkinch Local Nature Reserve and wait to be surprised.

image.jpg

In another 50 years there might be a new trail named after IHE...............I wonder where it might be?

1 hour ago, dougiedanger said:

What's the Witch's coffin pool all aboot?

When the tide goes out there is a shape similar to a coffin............it might be one :ohmy:

It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off-in. Hoch! Hoch!

There was an undertaker at the bottom of  Academy street beside Shore street they used to call Coffin John. They say he died of consumption --- was he coffin his guts out, like?:wink:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off-in. Hoch! Hoch!

There was an undertaker at the bottom of  Academy street beside Shore street they used to call Coffin John. They say he died of consumption --- was he coffin his guts out, like?:wink:

That's bloody awful, Scarlet !!!!!!!!!!  AND an old one !

Quite a few years back I was talking to Coffin John (Fraser) and he asked me (I think he must have been joking !) if I knew the Ozzie Prime minister at the time Malcolm Fraser !!!  As if !!!!!!!!!!!!!