Clicking on stars at the entry point of posts does noi opoen up at the expected spot?

Formerly, when clicking  on the stars to the left of the headings for  unread posts,  the programme would automatically lead you to the last unread  posting so that you could just continue to read that thread. But now this no longer happens and I need to scroll down through all, or most of,  the posts on a thread to access that point from which to continue reading it.

Is there an explanation and a cure for this? Thanks.

its normal behaviour : 

If you go to a forum list of topics (eg: http://caleythistleonline.com/forum/4-caley-thistle/ ) and click on the dot or star to the left of the topic title you will go to the last post you read. The dot means you havent posted in the thread, the star means you have posted in the thread thats the only difference in whats displayed. 

If however you are viewing the 'unread' posts link, then this is actually a search and clicking the title will take you to the top of the page of posts. Use the filter above the results labelled "READ STATUS" and change it to the other option (first unread). click save as new stream and give it a name. 

05-Jun-16 2-31-58 PM.png

now when it loads you will see the new results as before but clicking on the topic title will take you to first unread post rather than the top of the page. if you click the little tick to make this search the default then it will also show up in this format when you click unread posts at top of page. This allows users to build searches that suits their use of the site and set it as their own defaults rather than making do with the defaults ,....

05-Jun-16 2-33-36 PM.png

I have tried what you suggest and yes I can change it temporarily but each time I go back it's returned to the choice of  "go to top of page".

As instructed  we make the change to"go to first unread post "and  we duly save this as a new stream. Then a new box comes up with a word in it . Since we are asked to add a name  then what name would be required and where would we put it --as soon as I try to insert typing into the new box which popped up  everything disappears and we are back to the starting point again and there is no change in the  status. I also tried clicking the small tick after changing the  required status without result.  I think I need a manual.?  Thanks.

not sure what else I can tell you - the instructions are correct and it sounds like you have not entered a name to save it as - what you call it is your choice. 

Just not sure where to insert a name. Attempts to put in a name results in it all disappearing-- so then it's back to square one. Not to worry, Scotty, Uncle Scarlet will just continue on his current path. Have a very good day.

ok, here goes nothing ! a tutorial on how to create custom streams ...... and how to set them as default. I have made the images smaller - just click on them to view full size. 

1. There are a bunch of default streams you can choose from to be displayed when you 'view new content'. The overall site default is to display "unread content" and this displays any content you have not read but will go to the top of the page you have not read rather than the first unread post. The others are pretty self explanatory too.
    1.png    4.png

2. Whatever you set as the default will also get set on the top right corner of the site too. 
    2.png

3. To adjust the default, or to filter things a different way, or to make a totally new set of search filters you must create a "custom stream". This can be done in two ways. You can click the create new stream button found at the top menu and it will give you a new page with a bunch of options - which are not explained here but are shown in these screenshots 3.png  15.png - or you can use the dropdowns in the stream itself to tweak it (which is what I have detailed below.  
      14.png

4. In your case (Scarlet) you want the site to go to the first unread post of each topic when you click the topic title (or the little star) in the list of topics. To do this is quite simple. You simply change the 'unread item links take me to ther top of the page' to the one below which says first unread comment. 
    5.png

5. As soon as you make this change, or any other change, you will see the page adds a new dialogue prompting you to save these changes. Click the 'save as new stream' button.
    NOTE: If you click 'Dont Save' then it will revert to default, if you click "Save these changes?" it will do nothing as thats not a link ! and if you browse away from the page it will also do nothing as you have not saved anything yet. 
    6.png

6. A box will now open and give you the option to save the stream as whatever you want. Enter the name you want to know it by and click 'create stream'. Your stream is now created
    7.png

7. The page will reload and your new stream will be what is displayed. You now have a few options. The three icons next to the stream title are 'edit name', 'delete' or 'set as default'. Set your new stream as default and the checkmark will turn green. 
    9.png 11.png

8. It will also update the 'new content' link at the top of the page so that now, whenever you view new content, this is the behaviour. (load unread topics and when clicked go to first unread post). 
    12.png

9. Your 'custom stream' is now listed in the menu at the top and you can use it or any other stream you want, There are no limits to how many different streams you can create. 
    13.png
  • Agree 1

That's quite an instruction ,Scotty. Everything you said was very well presented and must have entailed a lot of works so, right up front, thank you very much.

I understood it because all of it was what I had previously done/followed up to the point of, and including, clicking on the "Save as your new stream"  After I had clicked on that, I was presented with a box with one word in the centre of the box:  "ENTER". which then posed a problem for me.. what to do now? .I tried deleting it to allow me the space in the box to enter a stream name as instructed and that didn't work. So then I started typing in the same box on the assumption that the word "enter" would immediately disappear except that what happened then was that all the previous work just disappeared completely and there was no  lower box presented to me showing the words Create new Stream in it.

Also, going back to the Unread webpage I found that nothing  had been reset-indicating that all my efforts had ended in failure. So now I am thinking..."Is this a fault in the site, or is it my IE11 malfunctioning? With I.E.11 anything can be  a possibility for sure but probably unlikely in this case since this type of problem had not manifested before.

However, it  seems as if you have kindly fixed this issue for me yourself to include"unread content #2" by waving your magic wand so, glory be, I can now see this at the top right of the page and  after clicking that and gaining access to that section the only thing I need to do,  under READ  in the heading, is  change the "go to top of the page"  to "go to first unread post" each time I access that webpage and it works. :smile: