ICT in Challenge Cup

Yngwie

Not exactly a money spinning competition yet they expect cash strapped clubs (and fans) to fork out on some potentially expensive away days. The mind boggles.

Let's be fair here, we criticise the governing bodies but this does create significant interest and excitement for up and coming players to impress. It is very innovative but clearly could be quite expensive if say our development team get a draw in the South of Wales or a team there draws Wick Academy.

This is an important competition for lower league clubs and, generally speaking, one of their very few opportunities to win silverware. The competition worked well on that level and will be much the poorer for being won by the likes of Celtic's youth team.

A poor and self interested decision in my view.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

It is certainly an interesting concept and I am sure it will be interesting to see how the U20s fare against lower level senior teams and also how the top Welsh and Irish clubs fare against the likes of Hibs, Dundee Utd and Falkirk.  But whilst it is an interesting concept, I have my reservations about whether it will work in practice.  Most of the Div 1 and 2 clubs have very tight budgets and are unlikely to be too enthusiastic about having to go to Wales or Northern Ireland for a match.  Nor will they be too chuffed at the prospect of being embarrassed by one of the U20 outfits.  

I think it is worth giving it a go but the real test will be what the impact of this is on the budget of the clubs taking part.  I rather fear that the impact will mean this format will be a one-off.

I think it's a good idea. The lesser clubs are not going to meet Welsh or Irish opposition until the last 16..... and I think at this stage an away trip (European adventure if you will) would be quite an exciting prospect for most of these teams.

It will also be great for the young players to get competitive games under their belts. A very good idea in my opinion and I hope it works :)

• Agree 1

It was a big thing at the time going down to Perth to see ICT take on Dundee in the final but I think this has probably killed off any hope of a smaller club winning the cup.

The powers that be probably got a taste of the revenue brought in via Rangers and want to try and emulate it.

As I understand it, any Scottish teams having to travel to Wales or Ireland will have the cost subsidised by the SPFL.

The Challenge Cup was badly in need of a new injection of life and I like what's being tried here.

I think we do a disservice to lower league teams by suggesting they couldn't compete with premiership U20's squads....as we know, there's a few who have given full premiership teams a run for their money on many occasions.

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RiG said:

Really good article describing why this revamped competition is pretty garbage.

http://terracepodcast.net/the-many-problems-with-the-new-challenge-cup-format/

Spot on. Games against Development sides do tend to be like pre-season friendlies. Not that I see any of the U20 sides getting very far.

• 1 month later...

For those that may have missed this - it is FREE entry to tomorrows match with Arbroath (7.45 KO). Might not be 7-0 but if the U20's play the same attacking football as the 1st team it should be a good game.

Edited by dave26
  • Agree 1

I'm quite surprised that the bookies have almost every SPL under 20s team as favourites for the ties. I'd imagine Arbroath (and most of the lower league teams) will be playing a full strength side and will have considerably more experience than our lads. Could be some money to be made here.