Fixture List

CableGuy

8 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

I see that Partick, Motherwell and Hamilton are unhappy at only receiving 2 home games vs the Old Firm, and have written to the SPFL. The MD of Partick was on Sportsound complaining they had assumed that they would have had three games but didn't bother confirming. Apparently, the difference in revenue is £120k, or 5% of Partick's revenue. This may explain why Scottish football is in such a mess. If I was running a business, and there was a decision that could reduce my revenue by 5% I would be making damn sure I knew beforehand what was happening, and making the necessary representations to help the decision land in my favour. I certainly wouldn't assume it would all work out ok - especially with Doncaster in charge. 

Partick managed fine the last few seasons without games against Rangers and Celtic. Disappointing for them to come out and basically say "We need the blue and green pound to survive."

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Partick managed fine the last few seasons without games against Rangers and Celtic. Disappointing for them to come out and basically say "We need the blue and green pound to survive."

Disappointing, but at the same time the fuss is quite predictable - given the rammy they created when they refused to retreat gracefully to the First Division in 2004.

In years gone by, I used to have a degree of regard for Partick Thistle as Glasgow's biggest non-OF club. That all evaporated in 2004.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Absolutely mind boggling that they would just assume that the old setup would apply this season. Surely, if it was this important to Partick, they would have picked up the phone to chat with the SPFL rather than just assume it would all be as it once was especially given the apparent importance to their budgeting.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Absolutely mind boggling that they would just assume that the old setup would apply this season. Surely, if it was this important to Partick, they would have picked up the phone to chat with the SPFL rather than just assume it would all be as it once was especially given the apparent importance to their budgeting.

Exactly. 

• Agree 1

Slightly against the above posts but since we have been in the topflight we always played 3 home games against the old firm before the split. I 'assumed' as did other fans I know that this would be the case so I do think that Partick have every right to be hacked off with Neil Doncaster and his cronies. I am pretty sure the Caley board (and most fans) would have been up in arms if we had been in Partick Thistles shoes.

I am however surprised that it is three teams in the central belt that have been stitched up and not ICT. The SPFL should have advised all clubs that there was the possibility of only getting 2 home games against the old firm before the split, if only to avoid negative press when the fixtures were announced. Same old SPFL - no communication with the clubs

Motherwells comments made me laugh - complaining about a midweek trip to Inverness at Christmas. We had to travel to Hamilton over Christmas last year and this Christmas Eve we get an away fixture at Ibrox, at least we just get on with it :smile:

• Agree 1

I was always under the impression that a computer programme made the draw and that adjustments were made where there were clashes. i.e Glasgow teams, Highland teams, Edinburgh and Dundee teams drawn at home on same day, and that, provided a team stays in the league, they will get two home fixtures against another team one year and one the following. This league has twelve teams in it and for the good of Scottish football its time we all stopped clinging on to the apron strings of Glasgow and just got on with playing football.

Rangers are being treated like any other club so why should teams expect a minimum of home games against them (and Celtic) or any team? Why do they not complain that 'two home games against Ross County who have a poor travelling support is unfair' or Ross County and ourselves arguing 'not two home games against Hamilton, their travelling support is miniscule'. 

3 hours ago, Alex MacLeod said:

I was always under the impression that a computer programme made the draw and that adjustments were made where there were clashes. i.e Glasgow teams, Highland teams, Edinburgh and Dundee teams drawn at home on same day, and that, provided a team stays in the league, they will get two home fixtures against another team one year and one the following. This league has twelve teams in it and for the good of Scottish football its time we all stopped clinging on to the apron strings of Glasgow and just got on with playing football.

Well said. While I do think that a computer does most of the schedule, they insert the obvious clashes first, such as derbies, holidays, other events at the venues etc.

Looking at our schedule, we have the opportunity to gain some points early and I hope we can do that before September with Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee.

12 hours ago, dave26 said:

Slightly against the above posts but since we have been in the topflight we always played 3 home games against the old firm before the split. I 'assumed' as did other fans I know that this would be the case so I do think that Partick have every right to be hacked off with Neil Doncaster and his cronies. I am pretty sure the Caley board (and most fans) would have been up in arms if we had been in Partick Thistles shoes.

Pick up the phone and check. If you need the money that badly, don't assume, make sure. If nothing else it may serve to jog memories of how the fixtures worked last time Rangers were in the top flight - which was four seasons and a change of administration ago.

If nothing else, haven't they learnt that you cannot assume the Scotish football authorities will do the right/fair/sensible thing?

To be fair, I assumed that it would be three home old firm games before the split. But I'm not responsible for the finances of a football club. 

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Pick up the phone and check. If you need the money that badly, don't assume, make sure. If nothing else it may serve to jog memories of how the fixtures worked last time Rangers were in the top flight - which was four seasons and a change of administration ago.

If nothing else, haven't they learnt that you cannot assume the Scotish football authorities will do the right/fair/sensible thing?

To be fair, I assumed that it would be three home old firm games before the split. But I'm not responsible for the finances of a football club. 

The last time 'Rangers were in the top flight' will remain the very last time Rangers were in the top flight. The Rangers who were promoted to the Premiership  are a new entity even if they are follow followed by many of the same moronic sectarian bile spouting hoards.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

53 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

The last time 'Rangers were in the top flight' will remain the very last time Rangers were in the top flight. The Rangers who were promoted to the Premiership  are a new entity even if they are follow followed by many of the same moronic sectarian bile spouting hoards.

For the purposes of perceived financial gain, and associated baggage, the Rangers from 2011-12 and next season can be considered as equivalent. 

On 21/06/2016 at 1:23 PM, Kingsmills said:

even if they are follow followed by many of the same moronic sectarian bile spouting hoards.

The very reason why I would prefer only one home game a season against either of the Dark Forces of Evil.

• Agree 1

What is apparent from this fiasco is how little the SPFL care about fans with their scheduling of games over Christmas. Surely some account could have been taken of the distances travelling fans have to endure by scheduling games within a reasonable travelling distance. Why do we also need to still operate the 2 home games in succession then 2 away games in succession over a season?.

Specifically on the Partick/Motherwell/Hamilton situation, I am not aware of any similar complaints being made when clubs had only 1 fixture against Celtic in recent years and then did not make the top six. I haven't checked the situation but have these 3 teams 2 home fixtures against Hearts as they take a sizeable away support with them which may compensate, in part, for the loss of an old firm game?.

Unsurprisingly no. Sky and BT will be sorting out the English TV games before they even think about Scottish games. A relatively safe rule of thumb is that whoever one of Rangers or Celtic are playing away from home at the weekend will see their game moved for TV coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

After whining about this again on Twitter I see my moaning has paid off and BT Sport have announced some more TV games. Our match v Celtic on 17th September has been moved to Sunday 18th September at 14:15 15:00.

Edited by RiG

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

After whining about this again on Twitter I see my moaning has paid off and BT Sport have announced some more TV games. Our match v Celtic on 17th September has been moved to Sunday 18th September at 14:15.

Excellent!.... just keep schtum about the home match against Dundee the following week, since I have flights, train tickets and a flat booked that weekend for me and the missus!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RiG said:

After whining about this again on Twitter I see my moaning has paid off and BT Sport have announced some more TV games. Our match v Celtic on 17th September has been moved to Sunday 18th September at 14:15.

AJ Sutherland is making the same claims on twitter

• 7 months later...