Where did you grow up >

nahh, SMEE and his family were good. We know each other.  Over the years  there were some parts of Caley Rd and Laurel Avenue that caused a quickened step but for the most part us Dalneigh boys were civilised :lol: 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tob said:

Rose Street multi-storey car park!

We might have been near neighbours, Tob.  I reckon I was in the supermarket car park, just off the spur road between the roundabout and the multi-storey. The top of George Street, as it then was.

That was 1956-1960 or 61. From then till 78, in a flat in what was formerly the Highland Orphanage on Culduthel Road.

5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

We might have been near neighbours, Tob.  I reckon I was in the supermarket car park, just off the spur road between the roundabout and the multi-storey. The top of George Street, as it then was.

That was 1956-1960 or 61. From then till 78, in a flat in what was formerly the Highland Orphanage on Culduthel Road.

I was in this block of flats, but on the opposite side from you overlooking the temporary (15 years!) police station and the Inverness Motor Company. We got our marching orders when they decided to knock it down to make way for the multi-storey. Think that was about 72/73. 

Milne's Buildings.jpg

Thanks, Tob.  I've seen that photograph before, but I've only just realised that it includes a window from our flat at the top of George Street.

Between the car facing the camera (a Hillman? Humber? where's IBM when you need him?) and the Old High church steeple, the windows on the second floor of the building with its own little spire were in our living room. (No one called it a lounge back then.)  I think the room also had windows directly onto both Rose Street and George Street - thus making it what would nowadays be called a "double-aspect" room.

I think that the Esso garage further down Rose Street must be Robertson's Garage. We were (are!) related to the Robertsons - but of course many of the folk around George Street, Innes Street and the Shore were related to each other.

I'm thinking the car might be a Ford Zephyr mark 1? That's a lovely looking flat in a great location you lived in. Shame all this had to go as it was an interesting and beautiful part of the town. Certainly can't say the same for what's there now. Rose St Hall next for the chop.

8 hours ago, Tob said:

I was in this block of flats, but on the opposite side from you overlooking the temporary (15 years!) police station and the Inverness Motor Company. We got our marching orders when they decided to knock it down to make way for the multi-storey. Think that was about 72/73. 

Milne's Buildings.jpg

The car facing is a Humber Hawk Mk 5 or 6, cant make out the other two.  I remember the house on the right with the railings had an aviarie with parrots.

My earliest address was in Smithton but I can scarcely remember it.  Except for catching Jimmy's bus from Faraline park to get home again if I went into town with my Mum.  Then it was a few addresses on Island Bank Road (including the Islands Hotel and a couple of nursing homes) where my Dad was Head Gardener, and we lived in whatever 'tied' accommodation was provided.  Finally we got a council house in Hilton (Dell Road) where I lived for my last year at the Crown School and all through my Academy days.

19 hours ago, IBM said:

The car facing is a Humber Hawk Mk 5 or 6, cant make out the other two.  I remember the house on the right with the railings had an aviarie with parrots.

I just could not figure out where that photo was taken from until you mentioned the parrots. So (out of shot) Burnetts to the right, old Highland Bus depot to the left. God I'm getting old. 

Edited by Whippet

36 minutes ago, Whippet said:

I just could not figure out where that photo was taken from until you mentioned the parrots. So (out of shot) Burnetts to the right, old Highland Bus depot to the left. God I'm getting old. 

It's taken from the bridge over the railway - but I seem to remember it as being more hump-backed than that photo suggests. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, when I was in Inverness, I was talking with my uncle about our old flat at the top of George Street - he moved into it when we moved out. He said that it was fascinating to stand at the window in the flat, watching traffic struggling to get safely across the bridge when it was very icy.