Club Badge/Crest

caleyboy

It's funny how different things matter to different people.  Personally I couldn't care less whether the club had a badge/crest at all, let alone what is on it or under it or whatever.  It seems to me that it is the kit that best identifies the club - it is certainly much more visual than the little badge on it!  But yet we somehow now expect the kit to change every year just to satisfy commercial purposes and nobody complains that fans are not involved in the decision making process for that.

Much as I would like the strip to remain the same year after year as a more tangible symbol of identity, I accept it just ain't going to happen these days.  It doesn't bother me though.  What bothers me is what goes on on the park.

4 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

It's funny how different things matter to different people.  Personally I couldn't care less whether the club had a badge/crest at all, let alone what is on it or under it or whatever.  It seems to me that it is the kit that best identifies the club - it is certainly much more visual than the little badge on it!  But yet we somehow now expect the kit to change every year just to satisfy commercial purposes and nobody complains that fans are not involved in the decision making process for that.

Much as I would like the strip to remain the same year after year as a more tangible symbol of identity, I accept it just ain't going to happen these days.  It doesn't bother me though.  What bothers me is what goes on on the park.

Without wishing to presume, perhaps that is because you may have had no affection for or affiliation to either Caley or Thistle who's continuing identity is reflected in the club crest.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Without wishing to presume, perhaps that is because you may have had no affection for or affiliation to either Caley or Thistle who's continuing identity is reflected in the club crest.

And? 

It strikes me that there are three possible affiliations: caley, thistle and caleythistle.

Whilst we shouldnt forget whence we came, we should look forward with an open mind

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

No,  It's nothing to do with any affiliation I may or may not have had. I just feel the name and the strip are far more important symbols of what the club is and where it has come from.  If people feel we really must continue with the identity of the two clubs which merged then I would suggest the name of the club and the current strip do that very well.  And if we must have a badge as well, then something completely un-associated with the 2 former clubs would perhaps reflect a more forward thinking ethos.  Something along the lines of that iconic image of dolphins leaping out of the water under the Kessock bridge would be a symbol of a modern successful and ambitious club from a modern successful and ambitious Inverness.  Surely far more appropriate than this constant fixation with 2 former clubs of rather parochial ambition?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

No,  It's nothing to do with any affiliation I may or may not have had. I just feel the name and the strip are far more important symbols of what the club is and where it has come from.  If people feel we really must continue with the identity of the two clubs which merged then I would suggest the name of the club and the current strip do that very well.  And if we must have a badge as well, then something completely un-associated with the 2 former clubs would perhaps reflect a more forward thinking ethos.  Something along the lines of that iconic image of dolphins leaping out of the water under the Kessock bridge would be a symbol of a modern successful and ambitious club from a modern successful and ambitious Inverness.  Surely far more appropriate than this constant fixation with 2 former clubs of rather parochial ambition?

Or perhaps as we are so wonderful: A bridge and a castle! Haha:ictscarf:

Once again folks the questions are very simple and should have very simple answers

* Why was there a need to change our badge wording?

* Who had the authority to change it?

Edited by caleyboy

25 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Once again folks the questions are very simple and should have very simple answers

The answer to the last question is simple. The club own the crest and the rights to it and accordingly have the authority to change it.

However, the first question remains a very valid one to which, as yet, they have provided no answer.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

The answer to the last question is simple. The club own the crest and the rights to it and accordingly have the authority to change it.

However, the first question remains a very valid one to which, as yet, they have provided no answer.

I know we don't agree on much Kingsmills but I would let go of the bone if we were given an acceptable answer to this question. To me, "a trial period" is not acceptable. I fear for our future if we start playing with our identity 

Edited by caleyboy

48 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Caleyboy you're wasting your time trying to get an official answer as it won't happen, communication between the middle/upper class and the likes of the working man rarely if ever happens

Sadly Scottish Football has now lost it's working class roots, money has destroyed the glorious game 

Dougal

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

The concern there, as reflected in 12th Man's observation half a dozen posts ago, is that some club brandings are ultimately subject to that fancy dress pantomime which is the Lord Lyon King Of Arms. I don't know how ICT would fare here but Ayr United and Airdrie have certainly suffered and Ross County's shield looks alarmingly heraldic as well. It's a complete nonsense that public money and legal authority should be afforded to this 400 year old farce which goes back to "In days of old when knights were bold...."

I mean to say, in this modern day and age what you can and can't have on your football club badge is still subject to a bunch of old buffers straight out of a comic opera chuntering away with stuff like "per Fess Azure and Or over all a Bar Gules in the Chief a demi-Eagle Sable displayed addextré of the Sun-in-splendour and senestré of a Crescent Argent in the Base seven Towers three and four Gules."

This bunch of comedians even have their own Procurator Fiscal to enforce this nonsense!

Give me strength!

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

The concern there, as reflected in 12th Man's observation half a dozen posts ago, is that some club brandings are ultimately subject to that fancy dress pantomime which is the Lord Lyon King Of Arms. I don't know how ICT would fare here but Ayr United and Airdrie have certainly suffered and Ross County's shield looks alarmingly heraldic as well. It's a complete nonsense that public money and legal authority should be afforded to this 400 year old farce which goes back to "In days of old when knights were bold...."

I mean to say, in this modern day and age what you can and can't have on your football club badge is still subject to a bunch of old buffers straight out of a comic opera chuntering away with stuff like "per Fess Azure and Or over all a Bar Gules in the Chief a demi-Eagle Sable displayed addextré of the Sun-in-splendour and senestré of a Crescent Argent in the Base seven Towers three and four Gules."

This bunch of comedians even have their own Procurator Fiscal to enforce this nonsense!

Give me strength!

Our crest is not heraldic in nature so of no interest to the Lord Lyon whether you regard the role as archaic or not.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

And? 

It strikes me that there are three possible affiliations: caley, thistle and caleythistle.

Whilst we shouldnt forget whence we came, we should look forward with an open mind

And one of the most appropriate and effective means of retaining our roots is by our Club badge which retained the names Inverness, Caledonian and Thistle. Do you honestly think that "ICTFC Pride of the Highlands" helps to look forward with an open mind?

• Agree 1

History should never hold the club back and stop it moving forward, but the heritage of Caley & Thistle is an important part of the football story of Inverness and is certainly important enough to remain as the official club (trading!) name. Similarily, #ICTFC is just the result of changes socially and may well go out of fashion in a few years. 

The club shirt, letterheads, official communication, etc. should always bear the full club crest, IMO. It's the old first impressions argument. The badge looks great, is unique both in name (full) and design and as such is instantly recognisable.  Social media, web content, etc. are all suitable for the ICTFC abbreviation and 'Pride of the Highlands' (However cringey, amateurish or generally rubbish it may be!). I don't see why it has to be either or, both have their place, but there should be a separation because, as said before, having 'ICTFC Pride of the Highlands' as the official crest is, to my mind, unprofessional and needlessly cheapens the overall identity of the club. 

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Bridge_Ender said:

History should never hold the club back and stop it moving forward, but the heritage of Caley & Thistle is an important part of the football story of Inverness and is certainly important enough to remain as the official club (trading!) name. Similarily, #ICTFC is just the result of changes socially and may well go out of fashion in a few years. 

The club shirt, letterheads, official communication, etc. should always bear the full club crest, IMO. It's the old first impressions argument. The badge looks great, is unique both in name (full) and design and as such is instantly recognisable.  Social media, web content, etc. are all suitable for the ICTFC abbreviation and 'Pride of the Highlands' (However cringey, amateurish or generally rubbish it may be!). I don't see why it has to be either or, both have their place, but there should be a separation because, as said before, having 'ICTFC Pride of the Highlands' as the official crest is, to my mind, unprofessional and needlessly cheapens the overall identity of the club. 

Well said and concisely put.

On 8 August 2016 at 10:58 AM, TheMantis said:

Oh Dougal you're such a wag :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if you had some sort of influence on the scriptwriters in The Magic Roundabout as they were rumoured to be on LSD and sometimes I wonder if you are too :amazed:

Mr Mantis who's idea was is it to include the offending slogan under the CaleyThistleonilne.com on this site then?

Just seems one hell of a coincidence if you ask me

Regards

Dougal

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dougal said:

Mr Mantis who's idea was is it to include the offending slogan under the CaleyThistleonilne.com on this site then?

Regards

Dougal

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, dougal said:

Regards

Dougal

That has been on our site since about 1999/2000. Cant be arsed searching through all my archived stuff but the logo below was what we used in 2003 .... long before it came into use by the club or anyone else. I cant lay claim to thinking up the phrase, I believe it was used in a newspaper article - perhaps by Bill Leckie - and it just seemed to fit at the time so I added it to the graphic and registered the domains too (which redirect to here with no fanfare). We have left it as our tagline under the main site ever since. 

Nothing sinister, no coincidences and nothing to do with what the club are now using or which they have subsequently trademarked for use in certain places.    

SiteLogo2003.jpg

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

That has been on our site since about 1999/2000. Cant be arsed searching through all my archived stuff but the logo below was what we used in 2003 .... long before it came into use by the club or anyone else. I cant lay claim to thinking up the phrase, I believe it was used in a newspaper article - perhaps by Bill Leckie - and it just seemed to fit at the time so I added it to the graphic and registered the domains too (which redirect to here with no fanfare). We have left it as our tagline under the main site ever since. 

Nothing sinister, no coincidences and nothing to do with what the club are now using or which they have subsequently trademarked for use in certain places.    

SiteLogo2003.jpg

Don't have a problem with this Scotty.