Premiership Table 2016-17

Kingsmills

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Looks like the football banter has started already for the season. 

INVERNESS:

Manager: Richie Foran.

Ground: Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

Last season: 7th.

Key man: Owain Fon Williams.

Title odds: 500/1.

MOST people seem to think Inverness will be safe but for me they are favourites for relegation.

They have brought in Billy King, who spent half of last season on loan at Rangers, as well as former Aberdeen defender Kevin McNaughton.

Aside from that they have done very little and Caley – who shockingly let John Hughes go – could struggle under Irish rookie Richie Foran.

Verdict: 12th. I struggle to see enough strength and depth in a Caley side who have over-achieved in the past few years

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-premiership-2016-17-can-8553522#CWHJzgseHyspYWTW.99

:laugh:

What a shambles of an article. Key man - Owain Fon Williams!? F'cking hell. Anyway, I expect we'll hear a lot about how badly we treated John Hughes this season so get used to that. 

Perhaps the worst thing in that whole piece is his prediction that Aberdeen will finish 4th.

3 hours ago, 12th Man said:

INVERNESS:

MOST people seem to think Inverness will be safe but for me they are favourites for relegation.

They have brought in Billy King, who spent half of last season on loan at Rangers, as well as former Aberdeen defender Kevin McNaughton.

Aside from that they have done very little and Caley – who shockingly let John Hughes go – could struggle under Irish rookie Richie Foran.

Verdict: 12th. I struggle to see enough strength and depth in a Caley side who have over-achieved in the past few years

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-premiership-2016-17-can-8553522#CWHJzgseHyspYWTW.99

Even leaving aside his prediction for us, that has to be one of the worst-written football 'articles' I've ever read. ''Lee Clark will steady the constant rocking ship that is Kilmarnock.' 'St Johnstone always find themselves in the top six and I don't see this season being any different... St Johnstone are always a surprise package...' Make up your mind, you dribbling moron.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Mike Tremlett as I recall. May be the same person.

Looks like it's the same person. According to LinkedIn he went to the University of Hull and before that he went to Frederick Gough Grammar School in Scunthorpe.

There's a clue in there somewhere......

I suspect that, having wholly predictably, placed the only two teams that over 95% of Daily Record readers and journalists know or care about in first and second place, he has simply placed the other teams that he believes are only there to make up the numbers somewhat randomly. If it is the same Mike Tremlett who used to cover the Highland League for the Press &Journal he was never a competent journalist in the first place.

6 hours ago, 12th Man said:

INVERNESS:

Absolute pish and nonsense

• Agree 1

So, the "average" positions for teams, as predicted by the CTO jury are as follows:

1. Celtic (range: 1-2)

2. Aberdeen (2-3)

3. Rangers (1-5)

4. St J (3-5)

5. Hearts (2-7)

6. ICT (5-9)

7. Dundee (4-10)

8. Motherwell (6-10)

9. County (7-12)

10. Partick Thistle (8-11)

11. Kilmarnock (9-12)

12. Hamilton (10-12)

Probably not far off the mark.....I'd take that outcome now!

1. Celtic
2. Inverness
3. Aberdeen
4. Sevco
5. Hearts
6. Partick Thistle
7. St Johnstone
8. Ross County
9. Dundee
10. Motherwell
11. Hamilton
12. Kilmarnock

Optimistic perhaps, but I honestly feel we have as strong a squad today as at any time in our history. Mulraney, Boden, McNaughton and King are as good a group of signings as we've ever had in close season. The spine of Warren, Draper and Tansey remains. The likes of Tremarco, Polworth and Vigurs have improved immensely in the past 12 months. Expecting big seasons from all three. Keeping hold of OFW was a great bit of business. Doran is as good as a new signing.

We finished in a false position last year with the catastrophic injury list, self-defeating tactics, irrational team selections and very little rub of the green. Yogi and his rigid, one dimensional system became more of a hindrance than a help to the team last season IMO. Foran has trained and played alongside the players for years, he knows their strengths, weaknesses and preferences. Hopefully this translates into a system tailored to get the absolute best out of the squad, rather than the 'round pegs in square holes / style over substance' nonsense of Hughes.

• Agree 1

...now the BBC website predicts that we'll have a tough season! I'm not sure if we're all looking through ros-tinted specs or whether the so-called pundits have just not been paying attention in pre-season!

Well, let's just fly under the radar like we did 2 years ago and prove these idiots wrong again. Starting today.

What they seem to have overlooked is that our 'rookie manager' has brought in quality additions such as McNaughton, Bowden, King and Mulraney as well as reinstating David Raven and having the return of Doran.

When you compare that with the likes of Dani Lopez, Liam Hughes and Nat Wedderburn anyone who thinks we will be weaker this season than last is either ignorant or deluded and all within budget with cash left to bring in a couple more.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Downinthedumps said:

I think the sports pundits work on the law of averages if they predict that we will be rubbish every season sometime they will be correct. Hopefully not this year though

Hopefully today we'll not only beat partick, but by a good margin and keep a clean sheet. That would certainly get the attention, top of the league first weekend 

I wanted to wait 'till after the first two games of the league before doing any forecasting but I can't help feeling that barring injuries then AlexJones has got it just about right as far as the league placings are concerned

It was the injury factor that forced the square peg syndrome in the Hughes era, he was forced into rush signings and could not afford to keep the players he wanted to ;keep nor did he have the money to buy the players he really wanted to fit his style of play, which was still in the development stage when he left. I am convinced that had he stayed and had the resources he would have moved into a more attacking mode as time progressed. Unfortunately he did not have the nounce to find the players that Richie has brought in and that started his downfall. He was 'brought up' with the old firm mentality of buy and spend regardless of financial position, that would,  in his mind, balance out through time. What he did bring to the team was accuracy in passing the ball and movement. When the Team was on song and he had the players it was brilliant to watch, when the injuries struck the play and positioning was flawed and the negative football started. By the way his handling of the 'Tanseygate' episode was first class.

Now we have Richie whom is already impressing us, I just hope that if difficult times come along there will not be a nasty turn around by the usual suspects and get on his back.

:ictscarf:   come on ICTFC      :ictscarf:

• Disagree 2