Dunfermline -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

What a result against an in-form Dunfermline team. Really pleasing to hear that Mulraney was giving their defence a torrid time, by the sounds of it he could be an excellent signing. So far the new signings are looking fantastic, McNaughton has been solid, Mulraney has looked good, Billy King is proven at this level, and Scott Boden is already off the mark. Very pleasing indeed, bring Arbroath and the new season!

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Caley Braveheart said:

Untitled.jpg

This looks better but the BBC had it wrong on Saturday!

Betfred Cup Table North Group C

Team Statistics Position Team P W D L F A GD Pts Last 10 gamesresults MatchStatus
  Last updated 2 minutes ago
Inverness CT team statistics Moving up1 Inverness CT 3 2 1 0 8 3 5 7
  1. Win
  2. Draw
  3. Win

Dundee Utd team statistics Moving down2 Dundee Utd 3 1 2 0 8 3 5 7
  1. Draw
  2. Win
  3. Draw
Reportof Dundee Utd's last match
Dunfermline team statistics Moving down3 Dunfermline 3 2 0 1 7 5 2 6
  1. Win
  2. Win
  3. Loss

Arbroath team statistics No movement4 Arbroath 2 0 1 1 1 4 -3 1
  1. Draw
  2. Loss

Cowdenbeath team statistics No movement5 Cowdenbeath 3 0 0 3 2 11 -9 0

What a great result and, by the sound of things another highly entertaining match.  It is great to see Vigurs getting a hat-trick and I expect there may be a good few more to come from him.  In my view, he is one of the most composed finishers we have ever had.  If he is playing a bit more forward and we are playing with 2 wingers then that will create the space in the middle to give him opportunities.  

Very interesting to see how many Premier league sides came a cropper or struggled against lower league opposition that they should have beaten comfortably.  It is therefore vital that we don't underestimate Arbroath on Saturday although I would expect that the prospect of needing to win by more than Dundee Utd in order to secure top spot in our group should ensure that we beat them comfortably.

As for County, is this the first time that any team's defence of a national trophy has ended before the end of July?  :rotflmao:

• Agree 6

4 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

As for County, is this the first time that any team's defence of a national trophy has ended before the end of July?  :rotflmao:

A green dot for that one DD!

28 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

A mere 4 month reign.......half of which was the summer break ! :laugh:

Would have been interesting to see how we coped if we had gone behind but Vigurs's free kick just on the interval knocked the stuffing out of them. Early on all our passes were short of pace till we got used to the wet pitch and we kept giving the ball away.

Second half was like a training session for us whatever Alan Johnston said on the radio. Billy King had a quiet first half imo but second half he showed he could be a big player this season. Glad we never signed Higginbotham, fancy Dan but contributed little apart from the cross for the equaliser.

Mulraney continues to impress with his pace and the home fans booed his every touch after he drew a foul. They booed him off not realising big Drapes was coming on to really give them something to moan about :lol:

Not sure about Boden yet but he battled away off scraps all night so hard to tell. Fisher replaced him but only got a few minutes. McNaughton just seems to have so much time, never hoofs it. Tremarco used to be a liability but his defending has definitely improved massively. Vigurs, Tansey, Polworth all decent in m/f.

Not sure who was marking the no 6 for the equaliser though.

Still a honeymoon period for Richie but already it looks more promising than last season.

52 minutes ago, IBM said:

This looks better but the BBC had it wrong on Saturday!

Betfred Cup Table North Group C

Team Statistics Position Team P W D L F A GD Pts Last 10 gamesresults MatchStatus
  Last updated 2 minutes ago
Inverness CT team statistics Moving up1 Inverness CT 3 2 1 0 8 3 5 7
  1. Win
  2. Draw
  3. Win

Dundee Utd team statistics Moving down2 Dundee Utd 3 1 2 0 8 3 5 7
  1. Draw
  2. Win
  3. Draw
Reportof Dundee Utd's last match
Dunfermline team statistics Moving down3 Dunfermline 3 2 0 1 7 5 2 6
  1. Win
  2. Win
  3. Loss

Arbroath team statistics No movement4 Arbroath 2 0 1 1 1 4 -3 1
  1. Draw
  2. Loss

Cowdenbeath team statistics No movement5 Cowdenbeath 3 0 0 3 2 11 -9 0

Just looked at the rules for a tie at the top: Thankfully, head-to-head doesn't count: It's goal difference, goals scored, then wins come into play and eventually, drawing lots. It's really in our hands to finish top, so let's just go and do it in style! Mulraney tore Dunfermline to shreds tonight and Vigurs was at his lethal best: classic hat-trick; left, right and header. It's shaping up nicely!

A word for whoever came up with the format - it's great and distinctive from the league and Scottish Cup. Plenty of upsets and anything that eliminates RC at the group stage has to be applauded!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Just looked at the rules for a tie at the top: Thankfully, head-to-head doesn't count: It's goal difference, goals scored, then wins come into play and eventually, drawing lots. It's really in our hands to finish top, so let's just go and do it in style! Mulraney tore Dunfermline to shreds tonight and Vigurs was at his lethal best: classic hat-trick; left, right and header. It's shaping up nicely!

A word for whoever came up with the format - it's great and distinctive from the league and Scottish Cup. Plenty of upsets and anything that eliminates RC at the group stage has to be applauded!

Only worry is that we play on Sat and United on Sunday which could give them an (unfair?) advantage? 

Not just a comfortable win but an entertaining match. Dunfermline came out of the traps very quickly, were all over us for 20 minutes and were unlucky to find themselves a goal down. At 2-1 up I thought Dunfermline still weren't out of it but the way we kept at them for another goal meant that at 3-1 I just didn't see them coming back at us. Last season we would have sat in at 2-1, would have endured a torrid second half and conceded a last minute goal to lose 2 points. It was refreshing to see us playing creative and attacking football without having to go a goal down first! 

Shocking behaviour from the Dunfermline fans targeted at Mulraney who was clearly hacked down several times by players who had no hope of keeping up with him. I hope he's able to get used to that. 

Can't wait for the new season to start proper. 

• Agree 1

On 18 June 2016 at 11:32 AM, iamthecaptain1 said:

Jake Mulraney commented: “I’m very happy to sign and can’t wait to get going. I already know Aaron Doran and everyone else I’ve met so far has been great. It was interesting to see the fixtures come out today and I’m really looking forward to the new season.”

Seems Aaron has his contacts too... 

Ritchie Foran has pulled a master stoke in getting Jake Mulraney's signature. He will be a fans favourite because he is what you pay your money in for. Lightening quick, off the cuff, direct winger with amazing feet. He's turned down 2 championship clubs to come and play for Ritchie. Top player, person , huge future ahead of him and brave enough to come to the SPL to ensure game-time to progress his career.Best of luck to him .

Just a reminder of a post I made before Mulraney kicked a ball. Accurate assessment?? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

Quality video....loving that strip, decent looking stadium.....also strange to hear the 'Glad all over' song when Dunfermline score as that is very much Palace's theme tune

Edited by Eagle4Caley

Jeez - Calm down lads and lassies. Great result but followed a poor result. Lots of positives but the proof of the pudding is in the league. Have to say that I was worried about Dumbfarmlife away. Cant see there being much in the Arabs and Fifers. They BOTH need to win. Lets forget about that and drub Arbroath. As fer Mr Vigurs. He never was and never will be the most willing of workers but put legs around him and his skill and experience will shine through. First goal was typical of his vision, second goal typical of his skill factor and third his positional sense and timing of arriving in the box. When you have all those qualities you do not need to overdo the mileage.

7 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Only worry is that we play on Sat and United on Sunday which could give them an (unfair?) advantage? 

We brought that on ourselves by shifting our game to the Saturday (not complaining, as I'd much prefer a Sat ko). You'd like to think though that we can rack up a convincing win which is too much for Utd to match/beat.

We also need to boost the GD to ensure that we are in the top 4 performing group winners to get seeded for the next round. Rangers already have one of those spots and a couple of teams are one win away from 100% points too (Alloa and Partick). St Johnstone, East Fife and Morton also are very well placed to finish above us even if we win. 

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic