Inverness CT -V- Arbroath

Scotty

Word in the stands is that Foran has a wee side bet with Tremarco that he can't score 10 goals this season. Looks like Carlo wants that money for his Christmas shopping.

Edited by PCS
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, LuluCaley said:

Could this be our biggest win (by scoreline) in the League Cup?

I believe so yes. We have won 6-1 before (against Alloa in 2005) and been beaten 6-0 by Celtic (in 2010) but this is our highest score as far as I can see. Our 5-1 away win at Dunfermline is also our highest away score in the league cup

• Agree 2

Listened to Off the Ball on the drive home, not a mention of us again but the topic was about so called wing backs, they would have seen 2 efficient ones today and a couple of goals from one of them, pleasing stuff today.

I had to remind myself at half time that "it's only Arbroath", so that I didn't get too carried away.  By that point we had scored four, hit the bar twice, and missed an open goal.  We understandably took our foot off the gas after the break, but regardless that was a stunning display of attacking football.

Lots of plaudits for Mulraney, and rightly so.  His pace is terrifying.  He's clearly not the finished product, and I think there will be a lot of games this season where he drives us round the bend, but you could say that about any young winger.  He's clearly got the tools, and there's a bit of Jonny Hayes about his style.  If we can polish him, he'll be a diamond.

Really impressed by Boden's off the ball movement. It was great to see that whenever he or Mulraney got the ball wide, three midfielders (and often Tremarco!) were haring into the box.  That never happened much last season.  Vigurs in particular looks fitter than ever.

Only two disappointments - that Tremarco didn't get a hat-trick and that we didn't see Doran on the pitch.

• Agree 7

That was fun!  Clearly Arbroath are not the greatest of teams  but I think this was more a case of excellent attacking play than poor defending.  Last year we had a lot of possession but seemed incapable of creating chances, but today we were pulling them this way and that with players running at the defence, we were pinging long diagonal balls across the park, we were slotting measured passes behind defenders and we were chipping balls over the top.  Sometimes the delivery wasn't that great, but the variety of passing, the movement off the ball and the way players constantly wanted to get forward was very impressive.  The way we played can perhaps best be summed up by the fact that Carl Tremarco will be disappointed he didn't get a hat-trick.

It is looking good for the future.  To my mind, one of the most promising aspects of the start of Foran's reign as manager is the quality of player he has brought in.  With MacNaughton, King, Boden and Mulraney, Richie has already brought in considerably more talent than Hughes managed in nearly 3 years. Of course, we are yet to play any Premier Division opposition so next week will be a real test of how the team is shaping up.  On today's performance there are very real grounds for optimism. that the club can start moving forwards again.

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, DoofersDad said:

That was fun!  Clearly Arbroath are not the greatest of teams  but I think this was more a case of excellent attacking play than poor defending.  Last year we had a lot of possession but seemed incapable of creating chances, but today we were pulling them this way and that with players running at the defence, we were pinging long diagonal balls across the park, we were slotting measured passes behind defenders and we were chipping balls over the top.  Sometimes the delivery wasn't that great, but the variety of passing, the movement off the ball and the way players constantly wanted to get forward was very impressive.  The way we played can perhaps best be summed up by the fact that Carl Tremarco will be disappointed he didn't get a hat-trick.

It is looking good for the future.  To my mind, one of the most promising aspects of the start of Foran's reign as manager is the quality of player he has brought in.  With MacNaughton, King, Boden and Mulraney, Richie has already brought in considerably more talent than Hughes managed in nearly 3 years. Of course, we are yet to play any Premier Division opposition so next week will be a real test of how the team is shaping up.  On today's performance there are very real grounds for optimism. that the club can start moving forwards again.

Perfectly sums up that performance for  me. 

Mulraney is almost too good for us if you get what I mean. We will find it difficult to stop someone making a bid for him in the summer. He is probably the most talented player we have had here. Great performance against a struggling side, but as said, last season we would have come through by two or three. Foran has instilled that winning mentality into them and we looked good going forward. Thought it was a waste of time bringing on Draper, he's got nothing to prove, whereas Sutherland or Doran do require game time. Anyway, enjoyable stuff and well done everyone.

• Agree 1

That was as good an opening 45mins as I've seen us play... perhaps only rivalled by the 0-7 game at Ayr United. Arbroath came more into the game early in the second half and were unlucky not to score. They tired though and it could have been double figures had it not been for wasteful final balls and finishing. 

Mulraney's pace will absolutely terrify full backs. He is lightning quick! Shame his decision making for passes was often poor/slow. Really impressed by Boden and King too; excellent signings that inspire far more confidence than Yogi's last transfers (Liam Hughes and Ryan Williams).

What an improvement there has been in Carl Tremarco in the last 6 months or so by the way! Amazing energy and directness, like Shinnie in his prime. 

Excellent performances from everyone else, but it's also worth highlighting how influential Vigurs and Tansey were today. Anytime they lost the ball they were chasing and harrying straight away to win it back; something that was rarely seen last season. When on the ball, they found the attacking 3 in dangerous areas with a variety of flicks, raking passes across the pitch and balls over the defence. 
  • Agree 1

Yep, it was very entertaining football today, lot of great performances albeit versus a pretty poor side, but you still have to score.

Once again the new signings are looking pretty good, and as Tm4tj says, if Mulraney continues this form in the SPFL he will be a target for some teams down south.

On the not so good side Raven continues to be very ordinary and wasted quite a few balls after getting into good areas, he will not get this space in the SPFL.

Also Polworth was wasteful fairly often and was guilty of getting caught in possession more than i would have liked against this level of opponents.

But to see 7 goals, and some of the passing was superb was very pleasing made it a very good afternoon and i think will make most fans look forward to the season proper. 

It's not often I expect us to thrash a team but after Tuesday's result and the poor quality of our opponents, today was one of these days - so I very very nearly put a bet on us to win 6-0. Thankfully I didn't, after remembering the last time I bet on 6-0…....…looking good until the boys ruined it with a late 7th (at Ayr)!

Cant remember the last time I was this excited for the season to start. Our Goal keeper just came back from the Euros and I'm sure he has come back a better Keeper with the training he recived. Our defence looks stronger than last season with Devine gone and Mcnaughton in. Tansey, Vigurs, Polworth and Draper our class midfield who most Scottish Premiership teams would want.mulraney looking so fast and direct, a player we have been missing the last two seasons. Billy King looks a great singing just as direct and good first touch.Scott Boden knows where and when to run and looks a good finisher especially from heading. Could be the case that he causes defences more trouble from his running making space for other players than his goal threat. Caley to do a Leicester this season...heard it here first. 

So, Tremarco scores 2, has a clean sheet and no bookings yet probably is feeling pretty much as frustrated as ever after a game as he didn't get a hat-trick - says a lot!

I absolutely agree, Foran's signings have put Hughes to shame after just a few early games.  Mcnaughton is undoubtedly one of the classiest players ever seen at our club (I believe it's thanks to Esson that he's here), would love to see Andy Shinnie back but King is perfect replacement, Mulraney appears to have fantastic potential and Boden ticks all the boxes for me.

Goodness knows how we'll set up our team this season.  Who misses out in defence out of Warren, Meekings (assuming he's sticking around),  Tremarco and Raven? How do you set up your midfield when Polworth,  Vigurs Mulraney,  King, Tansey, Doran and Draper all seem first team certs? And of course, who is gonna get the number 9 shirt??

What a fantastic season we've got ahead :-)

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ICTHighlandHeart said: h Caley to do a Leicester this season...heard it here first. 

Let's just remember that we've only been facing lower league sides do far.

But if Boden and Vigurs can both maintain their goal a game averages, we will win the league. :crazy:

• Agree 1

Quite surprising that 10 points from a possible 12 and the best GD of all 32 teams and yet we are only the 5th best of the 8 group winners, so not seeded. The penalty shoot-out made the difference in that respect.

Probably the best team performance I've seen at ICT park.

Large contribution from many of the players old and new.

Certainly looking forward to the rest of the season.

Edited by neksor
spelling error
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Report published, just waiting for goals video to be available.

Interesting reading, the paragraph about Mulraney was amusing but completely accurate, he was incredible yesterday. Cannot wait to see the highlights now!

• tm4tj unpinned this topic