The Pride of the Highlands

TopSix

10 minutes ago, TopSix said:

Probably due to the constant gale force winds and the waft of turds from the dump

No one in their right mind would build houses in that location let alone a football stadium

Dougal

Homes that are in the same postcode as the stadium (IV1).

The are around the stadium is largely zoned for business or industrial development. Very little chance of residential houses springing up in the immediate vicinity.

Edited by RiG

The photo caption says - "Homes near Inverness Caledonian Thistle’s stadium have almost doubled in value over 10 years". OK, so the price of caravans has gone up because these are the only "homes" remotely close to the Caledonian Stadium. (DD posted his reply as I was typing mine.) 

Quite frankly, I think that story is a lot of hot air and probably placed as a press release by vested interests in the housing market in order to generate publicity.

There is absolutely no evidence of any cause and effect relationship and indeed the Inverness scenario is quite good evidence for the lack of one. They are claiming that the biggest effect is around the Caledonian Satdium but on the other hand it has conspicuously few houses near it compared with other Scottish grounds. There is therefore more evidence there of the reverse correlation. Also, if there was a cause and effect relationship present, then it would presumably be at least in part a result of fans wanting to live near the ground for access purposes. However ICT has almost the smallest fan base in the Premiership, but yet the "effect" is said to be the greatest, so again an apparently negative correlation. This assertion is also counter-intuitive since immediate proximity to a place where you get thousands of sometimes noisy and unruly people passing your front window on a fortnightly basis would more sensibly be a factor which would depress rather than inflate house prices. Equally counter-intuitive are the contrasting figures presented for Ibrox and Celtic Park in the darkest East End. Commonwealth Games housing development is far more likely to be a factor in the latter case. It would also appear that this is simply a postcode lottery since it's postcode on which the assertion seems to be based.

So between one thing and another, I think this is a complete red herring based at best on coincidence which has in treality nothing at all to do with the presence of as football ground.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dougal said:

Probably due to the constant gale force winds and the waft of turds from the dump

No one in their right mind would build houses in that location let alone a football stadium

Dougal

The only waft of turds in the Stadium area now is when you stumble along the foreshore in yer unwashed underpants looking for plastic bottle to recycle.

• Agree 2

I would suspect (although I can't be *rsed to check) that the home closest to ICT's ground is actually closer to Clach's ground than it is to ICT's.  Is this, therefore, evidence that proximity to Highland league grounds has a much greater beneficial effect on house prices than proximity to a Premiership ground?  Of course not.  House prices are affected by a variety of factors, but unless a house is very close to the ground, being in the same vague post code area as a football stadium will not be one of them.

3 hours ago, dougal said:

Dougal

'The waft of turds' would be quite a nice name for a house, imo. Or perhaps a yacht. 

I wish the Citadel was still open as it was a real window into old Inverness.

Wonder when, if ever, that all stakeholders agree that the stadium is in a crap location and for the wider benefit of Inverness should be moved to the Bught?

44 minutes ago, Tob said:

I wish the Citadel was still open as it was a real window into old Inverness.

Wonder when, if ever, that all stakeholders agree that the stadium is in a crap location and for the wider benefit of Inverness should be moved to the Bught?

Agree entirely but since the club neither owns the stadium or the land on which it sits where are the club getting the £10 million it would take to build the facility.we are now suffering from errors made in haste years ago!

30 years ago it was predicted that the police HQ would be the centre of Inverness.  With the population moving outwards why put it at the opposite end of the city where it's restricted by steep hills forestry and Lord Burton estate land. If ASDA had to pay to improve an A9 junction just to get additional traffic to a small supermarket in Tesco town, then the requirements by the council to improve access for 1000 vehicles at once would be laughable.

Land by the UHI and next to a railway line makes more sense. The Dualed A96 would run right next to it in the next 10-20 years and by then ICTsince1994 will be moaning that ICTFC had changed to Inverness FC :whistle:

But that's another story for another day.