Matchday - Alloa v Inverness CT LC

tm4tj

17 minutes ago, Biggin said:

How embarrassing going out to a league one team, 52% possession 15 shots at goal and only 2 on target looks like last season all over again, what happened to the team that beat Dunfermline away from home.

probably the biggest disappointment for me is that Foran started with the same line up as Staurday when we were very poor. What is a squad for Doran and Draper should have started let's hope Foran has learned a lesson for Saturday and rings the changes

If we had scored first then it would've a different outcome I'm sure of it

7 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

Remember how bad we were when Yogi first took over and he turned out to be alright! Early days. 

Foran is not Hughes, about 20 years of management experience separates them. Your badges are what you get when learning the rudiments of your profession, just like a lawyer or accountant, real life experience as we all know is different. I made this point previously when a majority appeared to be constantly slagging Hughes efforts, when, despite crippling injuries he managed to garner points with an under strength side.  I wish Foran every good wish in his first season, I believe the squad should be good enough for a mid table finish, it will be the making or breaking of him.

53 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Hardly. Not the first prem team to be beaten by an on-form team. Just a typical cup upset 

I agree, a Premiership team losing to a lower ranked club in the early stages of the League Cup, in August, is a shock, but not an earthquake...it happens all the time in the English version. ICT lost to the same club that knocked out our closest rivals, so arguably predictable if we weren't fully focussed. Annoying? Yes .....could be an interesting season

36 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

I believe the squad should be good enough for a mid table finish, it will be the making or breaking of him.

A week ago I would have agreed with you, but if we don't improve from Partick and Alloa then we will get relegated, no doubt. Plenty of time though.

My first chance to see the new signings, and one word impressions based on tonight:

McNaughton - mature

King - anonymous

Boden - ineffective

Mulraney - terrible (when it comes to final ball, at least)

Good to have Doran back - he tried, perhaps too hard. Fisher looked much more of a handful and more likely to score than Boden did, so I'd start with him next time.

13 years since my last visit to the Recs. Previous record with ICT : P7, W5, D2, L0, F23, A5. After about 20 minutes it was clear that record was never going to improve. They should be paying us, the fans, £25 on Saturday after watching that.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

13 years since my last visit to the Recs. Previous record with ICT : P7, W5, D2, L0, F23, A5. After about 20 minutes it was clear that record was never going to improve. They should be paying us, the fans, £25 on Saturday after watching that.

Please forward this to ICTFC.COM.  

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Well, it wouldn't have been 1-0 to Alloa, that's for sure.

:lol:

What he said was true though, if the Polworth sidefooted shot onto the bar (tipped by the keeper, I think) had gone in, I think we'd be having a different discussion tonight.

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

Excellent point ,time for the board to step up and show Richie some support

Doesn't matter whether Richie needs time or not to prove himself; he is very well respected by fans and management. Evidence so far to me suggests that the team are pretty poor against the big boys. Partick well deserved to beat us, I was at the game and they had a younger pacy team who were playing more like our style last season. It's fair to see we played like a joke in the second half, didn't have a system and forgot to switch the ball. Draper is pivotal going forward, let Mulraney just run as he does brilliantly and draw the free kicks. My concern lads even though it is early days is a lot of our players are on the older side, not enough quality in bench to fill in for injuries. Spending needed now or I would say bottom 4.

Just back home now ... well that is an afternoon/evening of my life that I'll never get back. So glad I paid good money to take me and my kids down to the back of Stirlingshire beyond to watch that utterly toothless mince! By any measure that is a dreadful result and an opportunity missed. The team with much less resources but much more desire got what they deserved ... a place in the last 8 of the cup. Well done Wasps, hang your heads in shame ICT. Goodnight. 

• Agree 1

Very poor tonight. Going forward, Mulraney looked lightweight and on the rare occasion where he managed to get space to cross, his final ball was poor. King was slightly better, but the potential impact of both players seemed to be limited by the fact that they were played on the wrong wings - Mulraney, as a pacey left footer, should surely be allowed to use his pace to get to the bye-line and swing balls in with his left foot, while King contributed little from the left in the first half but looked a bit more effective when he was eventually switched to the right in the second. Where we really lost the game, though, was in the centre of the park: Polworth looked OK driving forward but both his and Tansey's distribution was poor, and neither seemed able to anticipate passes played into their opponents' feet or impose themselves physically; we at least had more of the play when Draper came on in the second half. We also allowed Alloa to push us back too deep in the first half in particular, and while they didn't create too many chances, there was too much scrappy, last ditch defending. McNaughton reads the game well, but his distribution was poor tonight, and he doesn't dominate opposing attackers the way Meekings can. As soon as Meekings is fit, he needs to come back into the team, and after tonight, Foran will hopefully also accept that we are a stronger team when Draper starts, whether it is Vigurs, Polworth or Mulraney who gives way. It was good to see Doran back as a second-half sub, although he didn't do a great deal, and Fisher had a few good touches and might be worth a start in place of Boden, who had a poor evening.

Some changes definitely needed for Saturday, starting with Draper being restored to the starting line-up; also, the players should remember to acknowledge the fans who travel to support them in these games; not one of them bothered to acknowledge a fairly healthy away support at the end of the game.              

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

I think an earlier point made, was a good one. Too many players of the same style are on, Tansey, Polworth etc and up to four at once. We have sold all our creative playmakers like Devine, Muttumbo and storey was a golden gem at the goal. I'm personally not vindicating Richie as he is still a legend and always will be, it's the blend of talent we have. Too many of our players show flashes of greatness at times, but can't sustain it.

I'm still sticking to age as factor with some in terms of quality being sustained over 90 minutes. I'm bored already watching the style of play, a premiership team that is looking like a division or two below. Muttumbo had you on edge to watch and too many mistakes at times, but he spread the ball brilliantly. Boden looks like so far that unless he is getting quality delivery, his head goes down with irritation pretty quick. Can't see how that team as it is can gel, Mulraney is young and hugely talented, but his finishes are awful and snapshots at goals. Where are a lot of goals going to come from? answer - no where.

What is the exact financial situation at Caley thistle, are we going to be in the survival/ relegation dogfight for a season, then spend next season, a precarious stance. Let's be honest, Rangers with waghorne or not are looking pretty tastey and will knock us down a place most likely. I say make the delicious  Caley thistle steak pies even better, double them up to the players at half time and more forward momentum towards the posts will get more goals surely. Six pies/game means a top six finish.

Edited by Elgin1

7 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Do you not think they are already doing that, and have been for years, with every penny they can safely get?

Oh FFS here we go again same old chat about pennies, give it a rest man and stop greetin.

Richie Foran has come out and publicly said he needs a couple of players to bolster the squad, these need to come in sooner than later.   

McNaughton is not a centre half - played full back for the last decade so why would he now be our solution to the hole in the middle of the defence? Every time he plays a pass into midfield he wants to follow, he doesn't want to win headers and he looks lost at times.

For a young manager, I don't understand why Foran would not be using players he can rely on... like Draper.  Can't get my head round it to be honest... was wrong not to use him at Partick and wrong not to use him last night.  Shows no respect for a player that the team should be built around.  Tansey & Polworth played well against Arbroath on a big pitch, at home, where they had plenty of time on the ball but was he really expecting that sort of game at Partick and last night?!

Only seen Fisher on a couple of occasions now (Stirling and last night) but he is out his depth and we look so short up top I hope Foran is making that his priority.  Boden is a decent player but difficult to ask him to step up so many levels and then be our number 1 striking option ... we need another option up there.  El Alagui was in the stand last night  ... not sure if that performance would encourage him to sign for us but if he does, I think his experience in the SPL would serve us well.

Mulraney was lost on such a tight pitch... looked a different player at TCS when he had space to run into.  As Alternative Maryhill said, he was limited because he couldn't cut in on his left but the way he played against Arbroath I definitely think he will be effective for us.

King was one of our best players last night (if there were any) he didn't get a lot of joy down the wings but didn't let it discourage him and was one of the few that never gave up last night. He'll do well for us this season.

That 4 year contract handed to Foran seems absolutely mad right now ... we have a horrible run of fixtures coming up and I'd bight your hand off for a draw against County this weekend.

11 hours ago, Robert said:

Poor night, but we need to get behind the management and players on Saturday and try to help them find form.

Agreed but at £25 a go (and more) for an adult match day ticket I don't think it's going to happen :wink:

As for last night, I'm more than peed off that my Bet365 app failing as I tried to place a 5/1 bet on an Alloa win...I could have afforded to go to County game AND get a pie :smile:

1 hour ago, Elgin1 said:

I think an earlier point made, was a good one. Too many players of the same style are on, Tansey, Polworth etc and up to four at once. We have sold all our creative playmakers like Devine, Muttumbo and storey was a golden gem at the goal.

Taylor-Swift-Confused-look.gif

• Agree 4

Not really much else to add other than we seemed utterly intent on trying to force the ball up the middle of the pitch which was bizarre given that we actually have wingers for the first time in forever to try and whip crosses in. In the second half especially, after Doran had come on and King was switched to the right flank (presumably to stop him cutting inside all the time from the left) we still tried to go right down the throat of the Alloa side and with Goodwin in there that was always going to be a tall order. Really strange that we didn't try and stretch Alloa more by playing with more width but given how excellent they were last night in a defensive sense I think they still would have held firm quite easily.

The second half was like one of those overload training exercises given how much of the ball we had and how often we were camped in the Alloa side of the pitch. That said, it is also an exercise we would have failed badly at given how wasteful we were with the ball.

Over the course of the 90 minutes I can recall a good shot in the first half from Polworth, a Vigurs (half?) volley in the second after a Fisher knock down and a late effort poked wide by Vigurs and that was it really. Fifteen shots on goal and only two on target. That's very poor.

I thought Alloa were superb. You can argue they didn't offer too much in an attacking sense particularly in the second half but they were fantastic across the back completely neutralising our (limited) attacking play and their midfield dominated for most of the game although we got a wee bit of an edge back when Draper came on. Still, all the possession we had is only good if you do something with it. Our wasteful attacking play meant we didn't deserve to go through and Alloa rightly progressed.

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

:lol:

What he said was true though, if the Polworth sidefooted shot onto the bar (tipped by the keeper, I think) had gone in, I think we'd be having a different discussion tonight.

Very true. But as soon as we conceded such a scrappy goal the writing was on the wall. It's such a tight pitch and we haven't got the players to play through them. There's hardly a team in the country that could to be fair, once Alloa have got a goal in front and their backs to the wall. Not blaming them but they hardly crossed the halfway line second half.

• Scotty unpinned this topic