Scotty

My first sight of ict under new management today and have to say I was a bit shocked at how poor we were. 

Thought the game was crying out for Richie foran.... the player!  Was it a mistake for him to retire? His influence  on the pitch was missing. 

And what exactly is Rice's roll now? Last season he was the one shouting instructions from the technical area but today seemed to take very much a back seat. Is it the case that he's only present because the club cannot afford his severance package? 

As for the game itself;

- it was very noticeable to me how often we were easily out -muscled on the ball by the Dingwall players 

- Fon Williams had his poorest game for us. He's got to command his area more 

- Draper was easily our best (only) player 

- Liked the trickery and pace of mulraney when he came on

- Good to see doran back

- Very poor crowd, both home and away

- the referee.....Totally inept 

If we're going to continue playing the direct style of football seen today then I think we should be playing 2 up front. 

On today's evidence I am very worried for this season. Please ict make me eat my words!!! 

Such a shocking turn-out! far too many empty seats for our first league home-match of the season. For those that have to 'pick and choose' you would like to think that this would be one of the ones they would pick?!  Shockingly low attendance from the travelling folk, who have their shortest trip to make?! unbelievable! 

disappointed with the result. happy that i got my monies worth though. definitely entertaining; i may not be right too many times, but i did propose that we would see very few 0-0's, and i stand by that. 

yes, it would have been nice to beat the wee team, but i think most of us are losing perspective, probably as a result of the successful pre-season and the games against Dunf and Arbroath - we are a team very-much in transition, where survival is our number 1 priority. Yes, it'd be nice to score 4 goals every week, and win easily, but that's just not going to happen - the league is much tighter this year, and we're just not there yet.

I read somewhere on here that the club ,must be ruing their decision to give Richie such a long contract; and they need to back him etc. well, these results I think, are why they have given him the length of contract, and THAT is how they are backing him.  Richie at the helm is a long-term project, these things take time.  By giving him this length of contract they are saying 'we know its gonna be tough, but we're sticking by you'. And it's clear they have released funds for signing new players - that we are not getting more over the line could be for a multitude of reasons that many of us just will not fully appreciate - agents fee's, extreme wages, contract lengths, and, oh yes, maybe the players just don't want to move to the sneck! Who could blame them - being boo'd by your own support, half an hour into the first home game of the season! :frustrated01:

I haven't seen/heard any post-match from Richie, but i would assume that he wont blame the referee and will say we weren't good enough, but that's one of the worst referee'd games I have seen! Cunty could've had a couple close to two yellows, Draper could easily have picked up a second Yellow. the whole OFW outside the box thing.  Draper being strangled in the box. Tansy being floored in the box. Boden scoring after the whistle had gone. Just so many things that went for us and against us. Just laughable.

Slight improvement from Partick game

Anyway, on to the next one....Down the Gorgie in a weeks time, lets hope their is another slight improvement for that one. Lets get behind our team!

COME ON CALEY THISTLE!!!!

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

We looked completely unprepared for this game.  

[...] Lots and lots and lots to worry about.  The body language from the players was terrible.  It was striking that, during stoppages from injuries, the County players were receiving instruction and encouragement from their bench, whilst our management team stood with arms folded and our players wandered away from each other with hands on hips and heads down.  No-one looked like they wanted the ball except Boden, who rarely got it within about ten yards of where he was, and Tremarco, who was the only other player worth a pass mark.  We had four very decent midfielders on the pitch - Draper, Tansey, Polworth and Vigurs - all of whom were really poor in possession.

Great anaysis as usual. I picked out these points as ones that I particularly agree with. I was baffled by the apparent lack of heart and effort - tactical errors and/or naivety are understandable and forgivable in a rookie manager but I'd expected a team managed by Foran to give everything for the shirt, and that just didn't seem to be the case yesterday: too many players looked either scared or disinterested. I'd probably exempt Draper from this, in addition to Tremarco and Boden -  he wasn't great, but did at least work hard. Overall, though, a surprisingly supine performance.      

Hislops got it spot on,so much so it is our match report.

We were bullied from start to finish and never got up to the pace of the game until it was too late. Better second half after conceding again, but we still looked vulnerable on the counter as we were chasing the game. It's not the referee's fault, but to be honest, he was less than useless. Surely he should be hauled over the coals for his performance, completely out of his depth. It's early days in the Foran revolution, but with every loss it gets tougher. I do believe we have the players to see us safe, but we need some pace in midfield. Tansey, Polworth and Vigurs are too one paced. Draper can do what he wants as he generally gets his job done and he scored a cracker. Mulraney will get the better of most defenders and Doran will get better with games. Our defence is showing signs of creaking already and Kev looks like he will miss a few weeks. Let's hope Meekings is back soon. Boden did better as the game went on but the service has to be better. Not an unexpected set back, but a sore one nonetheless.

As soon as Boyce scored so early the writing was on the door for us, we were second to everything and what's worrying is that County are in very poor form so yesterday was already a six pointer

Losing three goals at home tells it's own story, any team that ships so many home goals the warning bells should be ringing

I watched both management teams at points in the game and the difference between the two managers alone were chalk and cheese

Foran just stood their in silence for large parts while Macintyre was shouting instructions constantly, ok you could argue its naivety on Forans part but even their appearance yesterday speaks volumes

Macintyre looked like a boss in his suit however Foran looked like he was dressed for a stroll around the Eastgate, that Cardigan was a real shocker

However it's still early days I suppose and once CaleyD comes on and tells us it was a great performance, how unlucky we were and how big the attendance was it will reassure us that we are all worrying over nothing

Dougal

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, dougal said:

As soon as Boyce scored so early the writing was on the door for us, we were second to everything and what's worrying is that County are in very poor form so yesterday was already a six pointer

Losing three goals at home tells it's own story, any team that ships so many home goals the warning bells should be ringing

I watched both management teams at points in the game and the difference between the two managers alone were chalk and cheese

Foran just stood their in silence for large parts while Macintyre was shouting instructions constantly, ok you could argue its naivety on Forans part but even their appearance yesterday speaks volumes

Macintyre looked like a boss in his suit however Foran looked like he was dressed for a stroll around the Eastgate, that Cardigan was a real shocker

However it's still early days I suppose and once CaleyD comes on and tells us it was a great performance, how unlucky we were and how big the attendance was it will reassure us that we are all worrying over nothing

Dougal

Foran turned up in his suit, as are the players now, which I think is a good change that Richie has made.

it's funny really, everyone shouts for more direct, attacking football, but in doing so, you leave yourself vulnerable to losing goals. you cant have it both ways. we criticise the team for playing out from the back, then moan when they play a hopeful long ball, or try and slip through a pass that gets cut out.

WE asked for change. we got it. time to deal with the consequences.

A six-pointer - the second game of the season - get a grip!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

15 minutes ago, dougal said:

:laugh:

Green dot for this line.

One thing is for certain an ICT team under Yogi wouldn't have laid down the way they did to County yesterday

I stand by my six pointer claim I watched two teams that are destined for the bottom six yesterday, whether that equates to relegation battles time will tell

Dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Noticed a few comments on the poor crowd. Simply put, it's down to pricing.  £25-£30 depending on where you sit is an absolute disgrace for any match. I completely understand why this would put people off. This is not a strategy to grow our fan Base. 

• Agree 5

Macintyre looked like a boss in his suit however Foran looked like he was dressed for a stroll around the Eastgate, that Cardigan was a real shocker.

It looked like Richie was going for the 'smart casual' look and to be fair I thought he pulled it off quite well. His seasonal colour coordination was also spot on, with grey being appropriately Autumnal. Both managers also benefited from the 'ugly friend effect' when standing next to their respective deputies. Have to say though, I thought MacIntyre's flash designer suit was a bit pretentious and OTT for standing next to a football pitch, bit of an American Psycho vibe there. Otherwise a fashion masterclass.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hiro said:

Noticed a few comments on the poor crowd. Simply put, it's down to pricing.  £25-£30 depending on where you sit is an absolute disgrace for any match. I completely understand why this would put people off. This is not a strategy to grow our fan Base. 

As I pointed out on another thread....yesterday was the best league crowd for a home game against Ross County (not counting new year derby) for 3.5 years.

If County were still in the cup their fans would be far more confident of a win and would have turned up in greater numbers. So it looks like the County fans lack of belief in their team cost us money.

Edited by 12th Man
Phone randomly picks words
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Give him his due, at least Richie tells it as it is! Can't argue with his analysis, but not "wanting it as much as them" is not an easy thing to sort. This will be a test of his man management to both up their confidence and their desire. His point about Mulraney seemed reasonable too - step up from youth football will take time. His biggest question right now is what to do in defence? Assuming Meekings is not quite ready, he could play 3 at the back, put Draper at centre half or Raven at centre half, with Horner at full back (I thought he was quite good when he came on). Tremarco could play in there, but there's no cover at left back. What about Jason Brown? Might have to play him. None of these options fill me with confidence!

Just watched the (awful) highlights of the game, First goal as i said yesterday to Tm4tj, was Warren being dragged way out of position as Raven was out of sight, simple cross in -  easy header.

2nd was well taken but Raven could and should have done better.

3rd What the feck was Williams positioning like? jeez talk about making it easy.

Bare squad, not much cover for defence, going to need huge effort from the players to get us out of this situation.

And last but not least Dallas, what a feckin clown of a ref, inept and scary with his viewing of the game, ignored a huge push in Tansey's back.

• Agree 1

As per usual, some nonsensical comments on here after this defeat. Let's be honest, most of the fans wanted Foran as the manager so some of the comments made about his management style/tactics etc are the pot calling the kettle black. Of course Foran will make mistakes but he has to be given time to learn his trade and someone has alrteady pointed out, that is why he has been given a 4 year contract.

Some of the comments about Foran being too calm on the touchline are just nonsense, you don't have to be shouting at the players all the time to be a good manager, in fact I would say it should be the opposite as the players should be given the responsibility to do their job. Would you want your boss standing over you all the time?.

As for yesterday, poor defending cost us the game, end of story. What football was played was only played by ICT as County were content to sit in after scoring their goals and even attempt to time waste during the first half. We were outmuscled by County as well which is a first for me but they are a big physical team this season while we appear to be more lightweight than in seasons gone by. Too many players lost the physical challenge yesterday, not helped by a referee who seemed incapable of recognising a foul.

Don't get the criticism of McNaught from some as he was not culpable for the first goal, Warren and Raven saw to that and Raven very culpable for the second. Fon Williams and Warren culpable for the third. Obviously mistakes need to be cut out and getting Meekings back is a priority. To me, Raven has not played well this season and if this continues, needs to be dropped to give Horner a chance. I also don't think we can play Vigurs and Polworth together week in week out as they are too similar and provide little defensive cover in midfield. Therein lies part of the problem as we are playing a very attacking formation but lacking some defensive midfield cover.

I genuinely think that with a few tweaks we will be okay this season but okay means staying up and avoiding the play offs. No doubt some will say we are regressing as a club but, let's be honest, we have been punching above our weight and it is going to take a couple of seasons to start to get back perhaps, to where we were.

As for the referee yesterday, to be blunt, he was totally out of his depth and lost control of the game. The situation around our first goal was farcial as was his failure to sent Boyce off the field after he had received treatment. It took Draper to point this out to him. Raven got a booking for nothing while Davies fouled Boden and others all afternoon with the referee totally oblivious. One foul he gave against Draper was truly astonishing as the County player was climbing all over him.

Keep the faith and support the team. As for Dougal, your posts are truly astonishing in their quality. Please post elsewhere:crazy:

• Agree 6

A disappointing display and result, with only Draper, Boden and Tremarco of the starting 11 getting pass marks from me. Horner and MulrNey did ok too, but Doran will need more game time to get up to speed.

The next few weeks could be tough given the run of games, but hopefully we can some decent players in before the window shuts.

I was treated to hospitality, and Richie was very frank and honest with what he said before the game, saying Aberdeen are still sniffing around Tansey. 

Not time for panicking (yet) but let's be prepared for a long hard season.

For the umpeenth season in a row we are left in mid August scratching around looking for new players whilst every other team has completed their business. No wonder so many people chose not to attend yesterday when we are once again at the tale end in more ways than one. Yesterday was my first sight of the 4 new guys. I certainly didn't see anything to excite me about any of them. We were totally outclassed by a much stronger, together team from over the bridge. Davis was like a magnet all day and must have a sair heed at the number of headers he had. Why when there were breaks in play did you see the County team crowded round their manager presumably for words of encouragement and Ritchie not once called anyone over? Similarly why did we not see our captain encouraging the new boys during these breaks. We did not look like a happy, together team. Tansey looked like a man with moving ideas in his head!

However we must keep the faith and believe that there are a couple of signings to come in.

• Disagree 1

I did notice that in the Partick highlights we were wide open on the right flank for the goals with an extra player coming into the box for check mate.

Same with county for goal no 2.

Diagonal ball across for County to pick up if he doesn't take a shot then there's a County player coming into the big space created in front of goal.

When is Sportscene  on as I can only find it on i  player.

9 minutes ago, givmeaccccc said:

For the umpeenth season in a row we are left in mid August scratching around looking for new players whilst every other team has completed their business. No wonder so many people chose not to attend yesterday when we are once again at the tale end in more ways than one. Yesterday was my first sight of the 4 new guys. I certainly didn't see anything to excite me about any of them. 

Are we looking for new players ?

if we were able to sign the completed player we would need to blow apart our much heralded budget limitations.

However consider

Mulrahney probably quickest player in Spfl albeit we need to give him the right delivery to allow him make use of his pace.

Macnaughton one of the best readers of a game we have seen at Inverness ( regretfully now by all accounts injured)

Billy King has ability to skin players ,cross a ball and also score goals you obviously have only judged him on this game 

jury out with Boden but at least he is streaks ahead of Hughes offerings 

newly formed teams generally take a little while to blend so happy to give "potential"a chance 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

I did notice that in the Partick highlights we were wide open on the right flank for the goals with an extra player coming into the box for check mate.

Same with county for goal no 2.

Diagonal ball across for County to pick up if he doesn't take a shot then there's a County player coming into the big space created in front of goal.

When is Sportscene  on as I can only find it on i  player.

It was on at 6.30! Now on BBC 2 early evening slot

• Agree 1

Overseas, but still thinking:

Price?..at the rate of exchange for Canadian Dollars of about $1.7 per pound ,  25 pounds would mean I could only go occasionally since a pensioner's income must be doled out carefully in dollops. With a bad back to boot that probably means that I would have to go for the 30 quid ($51) which means maybe every 6 months for a special game. My wife came home a few weeks ago with a $150 grocery bill for that week and I nearly fainted. The $50 is about half a modest grocery bill for two people and our lovely black feline  whose sense of smell is acute, so, if she doesn't like the smell of the tinned meat then it all has to go south. Fattish and fussy, like.

Richie - stoic on the sidelines? So what? If that's his style, and he is respectable , who is to say that there is anything wrong with it? Maybe he is fuming inside but wishes to show composure and control on the outside. At the Vancouver Whitecaps games the Manager always has worn a spiffing suit but it has been so hot recently that he has changed into a tieless shirt and looks cool with a nice pair of slacks to match. He doesn't engage in histrionics but always still seems to be in control.

Prior to the season opening I had an uneasy feeling that inexperience and youth might affect outcomes. So we surely had better be patient and continue to show support to the Manager who is bound to need time to make desirable changes and achieve better outcomes without unnecessarily antagonising and demoralising the team.

I note Dougal has re-appeared from some kind of darkness and is bent on making unnecessarily negative remarks. His references to Caley D are completely unacceptable since the latter is just as entitled as any other poster to say what he thinks about the crowd and the match, etc, without someone sneering at him. If this poster had done only a fraction of the work Caley D has put in, and still does in spades, for this club for donkey's years then he might be in a position to criticise Even then there is such a thing as diplomacy. It's called  "you'll get more with honey than with vinegar." At least so people tell me.:wave:

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic