Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone

Scotty

Must admit I didn't realise just how bad a record Saint Johnstone had up in Inverness. I guess our record in Perth must be clouding my judgement. Regardless, it was a much improved performance compared to recent weeks and the players looked much more like a team and were showing what they can be capable of. Players like Tansey, who has been below par for a number of months now, had a really good game and Horner, in for the benched Raven, did fine at Rb despite a couple of early wobbles. Fisher justified his selection ahead of Boden as he won a number of high balls although his finishing was still a bit poor but he was a handful for the Saint Johnstone centre backs throughout the game. man of the Match for me was Draper who yet again took the game by the scruff of the neck and really get the ball down and drive at the Saints defence more often than not drawing a foul. He may not have the guile of someone like Andrew Shinnie but he is an immensely powerful attacking force to drive you forward and he's been the only real highlight for ICT so far this season.

I thought both teams were quite well matched in the first half. We had more of the ball and probably had more chances overall but Saints also had a couple of good opportunities to grab a goal. After a good save by Mannus from a Draper header Fisher passed up a couple of glorious chances, including one from a sublime chipped pass from Vigurs, before King ended a lovely ICT move by flashing a shot wide of goal.

Saints has good chances too with Kane blasting over after good work by Swanson down the Inverness right flank and the same player chipped in a wonderful ball for Maclean but it just eluded him and drifted wide.

Opening goal was a brilliant free kick whipped in by Tansey putting the keeper under real pressure and, as alluded to elsewhere, was quite similar to the goal that Falkirk scored against us in the Scottish Cup Final, with Draper rising above Davidson to power the ball into the net. Really good goal. Not long after this Davidson met a cross with a glancing header that just sailed wide of the home goal but Saints did pull level when ICT struggled to clear their lines and Maclean won a header and laid it off to Foster who had been let go by King and the former County man rifled in a cracking equaliser. A good strike but disappointing to concede after a momentary loss of concentration.

Draper nearly put us back ahead when another header on goal was this time saved by Mannus who was having a storming game but we got a deserved winner after chaotic scenes in the penalty area. Warren, Meekings, Boden all tried to poke the ball home from close range before Meekings squeezed it in at the post to bag the three points. Mulraney should have made the game safe when he burst through one on one with Mannus but he skewed his shot well wide of the goal.

Certainly a deserved win. not quite perfect but a marked improvement from recent games. Good on Foran for dropping players who have under performed recently. Nothing against Raven but he hasn't been playing well recently and Horner did fine stepping in at RB. Doumbouya looked a handful when he came on. Not very quick but good at holding the ball up and linking with team mates. Good be an asset but he isn't very different from Fisher or Boden. A nippy striker might be useful to have however I suspect we'll be strengthening the defence over getting another forward in. Foran has said we should have two new faces before the wind shuts. Will be interesting to see what is lined up.

• Agree 2

Can't believe these reports after Tynie but music to the ears. Suspect that Richie did get angry and bollicked them all into having a discussion about themselves. Also benched Raven, Boden and Mulranney who were the three big let downs in Embra. Tansey and Vigurs and Polworth were probably lucky that there was no one to take over. Let's hope that Tynie was a learning curve for all concerned.

• Agree 1

Just back from my trip up to Inverness.   Very enjoyable match and a deserved win.  Good to see Ritchie going for the winner late on by putting on 3 forwards, even though I thought Fisher had been quite good before he was subbed.

Best for me was that my golfing chums I had in tow all thought that it was a good match and that the standard was better than they had expected.

Hope that is the turning point for our league season and that we will now steadily climb to mid table or above.

• Agree 3

Massive win this.  For all my negativity in other posts this season... I celebrated that last min winner like it was Raven's goal in the cup semi final

I still think we are well off a squad that can compete in the SPFL over a season but at least gives us a bit of hope and gives Foran a boost of confidence going into International break

• tm4tj unpinned this topic