[merged] : John Hughes Interview (BBC)

Scarlet Pimple

Well, you can't knock that  performance last Saturday .

We knew about the  possible dangers  of hiring on board a new manager without managerial experience so if we don't back him to the hilt ,come what may, we are nuts.

What with talk of more transfers, to Aberdeen  etc .,I think that Richie needs all the help and support we can muster so the only thing I can say now is;;;;

Itttttttttt's Buckett......:wave:Back at last.

I thought JH was pretty honest in his assessment and what he achieved albeit with someone else's players was remarkable. Re his buying policy I think most were panick buys, we were so short of first team players after the Astra games that he just started signing those that were available.Re his passing style it worked a treat when we were ahead but he couldn't change things when we went behind, players must be able to mix it up but to be fair to JH he picked up points with a team often without recognised first team players due to injuries. Re his comment about RF being a rookie manager is again correct RF has never managed at any level and I worried when RF in his pre season interview with the Chairman said we would keep passing forward which is as sensible as saying we will keep passing sideways, there is a time to go forward and back, we saw the effect of the Hughes dogma I hope the forward pass and loss of possession is not the RF dogma. After many calamities with the JH passing style the players took to it and it was noticeable that the opposition were generally more tired than ICT in the last 15 mins because of it. I would hope RF would build on that style with a little more variation rather than abandon it. There is nothing worse for players than have to do a 180 about turn under a new untried boss. I wish RF and the club the best of luck with what is by any stretch a gamble, doing your badges is no different to training for your chosen profession, we all know that theory and the real world are very different.

• Agree 3

" Theory and the real world are very different."

Except ,Wynthank ,that you can continue to build on theory which is the basic  building block for starting out  but without it I do think that a player or manager must be very intuitive and very intelligent indeed to be able to master the tactics required and in vogue today, employed by both the opposition and our team itself, to win games.

"I worried when RF in his pre season interview with the Chairman said we would keep passing forward which is as sensible as saying we will keep passing sideways, there is a time to go forward and back,"

I haven't watched all of the meeting again to check but in all fairness he did say the first pass is a forward pass then it's a sideways or back pass. 

The opposition may have generally been more tired at the end but we still managed to drop a lot of points. I can only remember the Hearts game being more defensive at the end just to get that 1 point in the bag.

Richie did a great job against Perth and I'm sure plenty more will follow, the matches have certainly been edge of your seat stuff.

Edited by 12th Man

10 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

After many calamities with the JH passing style the players took to it and it was noticeable that the opposition were generally more tired than ICT in the last 15 mins because of it.

There's a number of things I was going to pick you up on from your post but this is perhaps the most bizarre. Under Hughes last season almost 40% of the goals we conceded came in the last 15 minutes of games. I can't recall the exact number of points we lost because of those late goals but I think it was between 12 - 18 (I'd need to double check).

I wouldn't say that's the mark of a side who is supposedly fitter or less tired than their opposition. All too often we were sitting far too deep defending slight leads and we were punished for it.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, RiG said:

There's a number of things I was going to pick you up on from your post but this is perhaps the most bizarre. Under Hughes last season almost 40% of the goals we conceded came in the last 15 minutes of games. I can't recall the exact number of points we lost because of those late goals but I think it was between 12 - 18 (I'd need to double check).

I wouldn't say that's the mark of a side who is supposedly fitter or less tired than their opposition. All too often we were sitting far too deep defending slight leads and we were punished for it.

Yeah. With the possible exception of the cup tie at Fir Park and the first Hibs game at Easter road, I can think of no games where we finished the stronger team. In just about every close game, it felt like we were hanging on for the last 10 minutes, usually conceding a goal in the process. 

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu

The only time we had more energy than the other team at the end of games was under Brewster. He (or his coaching staff) had us the fittest our team has ever been.

Every manager has brought something to the table for ICT and Richie will too ! 

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The only time we had more energy than the other team at the end of games was under Brewster. He (or his coaching staff) had us the fittest our team has ever been.

Every manager has brought something to the table for ICT and Richie will too ! 

True, we were had a well conditioned squad when Brewster was in charge. He brought in a fitness coach which as far as I'm aware we haven't had under any other manager. I remember him making Barry Wilson lose a stone before considering him for selection. 

One of them brought us up to our highest ever league position he also coached, directed and helped us win our best ever silverware. I for one will be eternally grateful and I will not be the only one. Others can think what they like.

Thank you John Hughes.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Every good manager is only as good as the people around him (or her). This from Yogi, who not so long ago was singing the praises of Richie as a future Inverness manager, is no more than an awakening and realisation that he underestimated the resolve of the highlander. Yogi thought he could bully the board into finding extra funds for his experimentation. He done the same at Falkirk and tried it at Hibs. Yogi coached ICT to silverware and a foray into Europe but I wonder where his wins to games ratio stands against other ICT Premiership managers