Inverness CT -V- Celtic

Scotty

Can't see much wrong with IHE's smileyometer stats.  Off course it may have looked different to those actually at the match.  But overall a great result, which continues the improvement shown in the last two or three games.

A decent win against 'Dee next Saturday will be expected now to contniue our slow, but sure, rise up the league table.

Come on ICT, I know we can do it.

Onwards and upwards.

I have witnessed some superb goalkeeping displays over 22 years of following ICT, most notably from club legend Jim Calder but that performance by OFW today, especially in the second half, might just be the best of the lot. Getting our Welsh Wizard signed up on a long term contract over the Summer is looking an increasingly shrewd piece of business.

• Agree 8

Thought we were unlucky to be 2-1 down at half time, but took a real doing in the second half and somehow won it 1-0. Our passing and midfield play was abysmal at times. Polworth and Vigurs gave almost no protection to the full backs as Celtics wide men ran riot. Only a literally world class display from Fon Williams and some dogged last ditch defending from our outstanding back 4 saved us from a drubbing. Hard to judge Doumbouya's attacking attributes as he was a marginal figure for most of the game but in terms of defending from the front he didn't do a very good job of pressing Celtic in the first phase. He mostly ran towards the player in possession at jogging pace from an angle that always left a simple pass on.

Foran got the substitutions spot on again. Fisher is a workhorse and deserved that goal. Hope he starts next week. Mulraney and Doran looked a threat on the break and added a much needed injection of energy.

Edited by AlexJones

Owain Fon Williams :clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

A terrific match. I felt at half-time that we were really hard done by after an outstanding performance, but in truth we had no answer to Celtic after the break.  Fon Williams was absolutely amazing, and to nick a point in that fashion was just tremendous.

Hard to fault anyone's performance today.  I don't think anyone else in this league could live with Celtic when they play like they did in the second half, so I've no complaints about our difficulties defending.  I felt sorry for Polworth; many a right sided midfielder will be torn apart by Kieran Tierney this season.  The boy's better than most wingers.

What a hit by King as well.  It's great to have had two reasons to jump around like a lunatic in celebration - one amazing goal and one last-ditch equalizer.

A great afternoon's entertainment.

• Agree 1

A great result. OFW was immense and rightly got man of the match but I also thought Carl Tremarco was outstanding. The desire and commitment he showed today was unreal. I wasnt sure if he was up to the job of been our regular left back when Shinnie left but he has proved me wrong. Such an improved player and his will to win and make tackles and blocks is such an asset to the team. Along with the Warren, Meekings, Mckay and OFW its great to have a solid looking back five again.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

That was a lovely surprise. As expected, we competed really well in the middle but struggled with Celtic's pace and trickery in the wide areas. So crucial that we didn't let the heads go down the way Sevco did last week, especially after the Draper decision, and fought until the very last minute. Obviously we got a bit lucky with a few shots off the woodwork, and Fon Williams was outstanding, but some of the last ditch defending was superb, and Foran got his subs spot on - Doran, Mulraney and of course Fisher all caused a few problems when we did manage to get forward. 5 points from 3 games against St Johnstone, Aberdeen and Celtic is good at any time, but after the start we'd made to the season, and with a rookie manager, it's a great achievement. 

Looking forward to going into work tomorrow as the only ICT supporter among around 1000 Celtic supporters and giving them a good GIRUY. :)

Spot on sir

• Agree 1

That's a brilliant point, the first SPL team to take one off Celtic, sounds like OFW had a brilliant game, and great for both Fisher and King to score. Haven't seen any highlights yet although it was on Sky as I was at the Palace game (and forget to set my Tivo box to record) ,,,anyway let's hope we don't blow it against Dundee next week when I am up for the match.

Only got to 2nd half and watched most of it through my fingers as Celtic shots crashed off the woodwork, were blocked by desperate defending or parried away by the outstanding Fon Williams! As the half went on, you just sensed that Celtic were not going to score and that we might just get a chance or 2 to snatch a point. Subs were inspired and spot-on, although the free kick at the death would have been perfect for Vigurs! Still, Tansey nearly buried it and his cross for the leveller was excellent.

Much to be proud of! The important thing is to capitalise next week against Dundee. Still not quite sure who best to play up front, but the rest of the team just about picks itself.

• Agree 2

Magnificent backs-to-the-wall performance in the second half, when it looked like only a matter of time before we were breached. And to top it off with a late equaliser was all the sweeter because of the dodgy decision in the first half. An extremely well earned point, some justice done. Two points from two of the toughest fixtures bodes well. If we can just sharpen up a bit at the front and decide our best combination we will be fine.:ictscarf:

They can't beat Barcelona and they can't beat ICT :lol:

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

Magnificent backs-to-the-wall performance in the second half, when it looked like only a matter of time before we were breached. And to top it off with a late equaliser was all the sweeter because of the dodgy decision in the first half. An extremely well earned point, some justice done. Two points from two of the toughest fixtures bodes well. If we can just sharpen up a bit at the front and decide our best combination we will be fine.:ictscarf:

They can't beat Barcelona and they can't beat ICT :lol:

To be fair, they did hammer the team making their debut in the top league.

• Agree 1

Now that's what I call money well spent. What an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. The team were amazing the way they just kept going in the second half, despite the onslaught at the far end. Well done lads. It was great to see (and hear) the south stand being silenced. Our own singing section were fantastic - we liked the one that went something like 'Oh ho ho it's magic, you know, you'll never get past the Barco' - inspired. And it's good to see a mini singing section forming with the wee lads sitting in the next section along. 

• Agree 3

Excellent draw and a very entertaining game.  It is interesting to note that the four matches Celtic have played in the league this season before today had resulted in wins against the teams that are 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the league and they have won them by an increasing margin.  2-1 against Hearts, 4-2 against St J, 4-1 against the Dons and then 5-1 against The Rangers.  I think that suggests Celtic are head and shoulders above the rest of this league and emphasises what an excellent point that was today.  

Personally I'm not sure that the substitutes were the best.  Whilst great to see Mulraney, King and Doran on the pitch at the same time as a statement of attacking intent, they need to get the ball in the first place before they can show what they can do.  We lost a bit of midfield bite when both Vigurs and Polworth went off and that, I think, contributed to Celtic being so dominant in the 2nd half.  I think Foran should have kept Polworth on and taken King off.  King had a fantastic first half but did seem to tire later on.  Mulraney and Doran both showed good touches and are clearly going to be quite a handful to lesser teams this season.  OFW was great and we rode our luck with the woodwork as well.  Had Celtic got another 2 or 3 with all that pressure, I imagine folk would be questioning the substitutions.  Again, Tremarco was terrific.  His level of commitment is just fantastic.

I hadn't realised that Mckay also has a long throw.  With Tremarco and Meekings also able to launch long throws, an area of the game that has been abysmal in recent years should now be one of our strengths.

There are still too many empty seats in the stadium but with games like we've seen this season hopefully the seats will begin to fill.  Way more entertainment than last season.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Excellent draw and a very entertaining game.  It is interesting to note that the four matches Celtic have played in the league this season before today had resulted in wins against the teams that are 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the league and they have won them by an increasing margin.  2-1 against Hearts, 4-2 against St J, 4-1 against the Dons and then 5-1 against The Rangers.  I think that suggests Celtic are head and shoulders above the rest of this league and emphasises what an excellent point that was today.  

Personally I'm not sure that the substitutes were the best.  Whilst great to see Mulraney, King and Doran on the pitch at the same time as a statement of attacking intent, they need to get the ball in the first place before they can show what they can do.  We lost a bit of midfield bite when both Vigurs and Polworth went off and that, I think, contributed to Celtic being so dominant in the 2nd half.  I think Foran should have kept Polworth on and taken King off.  King had a fantastic first half but did seem to tire later on.  Mulraney and Doran both showed good touches and are clearly going to be quite a handful to lesser teams this season.  OFW was great and we rode our luck with the woodwork as well.  Had Celtic got another 2 or 3 with all that pressure, I imagine folk would be questioning the substitutions.  Again, Tremarco was terrific.  His level of commitment is just fantastic.

I hadn't realised that Mckay also has a long throw.  With Tremarco and Meekings also able to launch long throws, an area of the game that has been abysmal in recent years should now be one of our strengths.

There are still too many empty seats in the stadium but with games like we've seen this season hopefully the seats will begin to fill.  Way more entertainment than last season.

Way more entertainment indeed. We have ourselves a shrewd young manager fully committed to the cause.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic