Autumnal Aspirations

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

2 minutes ago, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

By the amount of kids I'm seeing in town wearing ICT tops I think a change could be upon us , if the team can keep performing and the club can come up with initiatives like the under 12 going free one then there's hope .

DC that's what I've been hoping for too and, with the Dundee game being a 3pm Saturday kick off on a nice day and with the team on a decent run, I had hoped for quite a big crowd. But in the end it turned out to be under 2900 which was a bit disappointing.

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

If it was up to me I'd ban the announcing of crowd figures altogether. We're the only country I know of that is obsessed by them. As for away crowds....other than for big derby games, they're practically non existent beyond our shores. Fans abroad don't like giving opponents money. Here....we have clubs and fans organisations more intent on finding ways to line the pockets of other clubs than they do their own.

It's all very bizarre.

Nothing better than a good awayday sorry!

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

By the amount of kids I'm seeing in town wearing ICT tops I think a change could be upon us , if the team can keep performing and the club can come up with initiatives like the under 12 going free one then there's hope .

Out where my folks stay there is a Saturday morning football club and you definitely see more and more kids with ICT strips on. Great to see! 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, CaleyD said:

If it was up to me I'd ban the announcing of crowd figures altogether. We're the only country I know of that is obsessed by them. As for away crowds....other than for big derby games, they're practically non existent beyond our shores. Fans abroad don't like giving opponents money. Here....we have clubs and fans organisations more intent on finding ways to line the pockets of other clubs than they do their own.

It's all very bizarre.

I see a fair bit of merit in that but as old caley girl says, you can't beat an awayday which fortunately is a big part of our culture. People who only watch home games get a one-dimensional view and think their team is actually better than it is.

Hibs supporters, for instance, as I live amongst a lot of them: they tend to be quite snobbish about the type of football they play and over the years they have criticised our style of play as quite dirty at times. Under one or two of our managers it was hard to argue with that. However, many of the times Hibs have visited TCS, they have been absolutely hopeless.

But I still feel that if we knew how many away supporters were at TCS, firstly we could applaud the ones who actually attended, which is what happens to our support, and secondly we would have ammunition when we get criticised by eejits on forums.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Nothing better than a good awayday sorry!

Wouldn't disagree....and not having a go at those who attend away matches or saying they shouldn't.  It's the only practical option for a lot of people and some seem more willing to let their hair down and enjoy the day which adds to the enjoyment.  All great and I've enjoyed it as much as the next person.

That doesn't mean we should be obsessed over how many people travel/attend the away end.  It also shouldn't be expected that those who do travel should have their day subsidised to the extent that it takes money away from their own club (a view I know you don't hold).

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I see a fair bit of merit in that but as old caley girl says, you can't beat an awayday which fortunately is a big part of our culture. People who only watch home games get a one-dimensional view and think their team is actually better than it is.

Hibs supporters, for instance, as I live amongst a lot of them: they tend to be quite snobbish about the type of football they play and over the years they have criticised our style of play as quite dirty at times. Under one or two of our managers it was hard to argue with that. However, many of the times Hibs have visited TCS, they have been absolutely hopeless.

But I still feel that if we knew how many away supporters were at TCS, firstly we could applaud the ones who actually attended, which is what happens to our support, and secondly we would have ammunition when we get criticised by eejits on forums.

Maybe this one-dimensional view of your team being better than it actually is explains why teams on the continent are better supported and have larger, more stable, attendances?

I get that it would be nice to slap down the opposition with some attendance splits from TCS, especially as we often get a hard time for the numbers we take to games.....but it only serves to encourage this unhealthy obsession (cultural or not).  You'd think that points were awarded for crowd sizes the way some people go on about them when, in fact, they mean feck all in terms of what's happening on the pitch.

The actual numbers mean very little as well.  Some teams have, for years, issued free tickets/season tickets to employees of their businesses purely to boost the numbers....doesn't mean any more bums on seats, or indeed £'s in the bank.

17 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Wouldn't disagree....and not having a go at those who attend away matches or saying they shouldn't.  It's the only practical option for a lot of people and some seem more willing to let their hair down and enjoy the day which adds to the enjoyment.  All great and I've enjoyed it as much as the next person.

That doesn't mean we should be obsessed over how many people travel/attend the away end.  It also shouldn't be expected that those who do travel should have their day subsidised to the extent that it takes money away from their own club (a view I know you don't hold).

Agreed. Dont understand all this obsessing with crowd numbers anyway. I think we should be grateful for each and everyone of the fans that attend matches whether home or away. The press in Scotland seem obsessed with numbers and talking the game down.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, CaleyD said:

It's all very bizarre.

I rather suspect that you would have a different attitude if our average crowd was a couple of thousand more.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CaleyD said:

This may have been the case in previous years however, you will be pleased to know that no travel is subsidised from funds raised by CJT which would otherwise go to help the football club or other community projects. 

A separate sub committee has been created and has been very successful in obtaining better deals for the buses.  They have also got sponsorship specifically for the buses from individuals and companies who see the benefit in supporting the team home and away and want to help in allowing people who may otherwise not be able to follow their team get to away matches.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, highlandexile said:

This may have been the case in previous years however, you will be pleased to know that no travel is subsidised from funds raised by CJT which would otherwise go to help the football club or other community projects. 

A separate sub committee has been created and has been very successful in obtaining better deals for the buses.  They have also got sponsorship specifically for the buses from individuals and companies who see the benefit in supporting the team home and away and want to help in allowing people who may otherwise not be able to follow their team get to away matches.

Pretty certain I didn't mention CJT.....but thank you for the confirmation that you continue to operate contrary to the organisations own rules.

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, CaleyD said:

I don't think simply expressing a view that it would be good to know what the numbers going through the away turnstiles are is obsessing.  Knowing what the numbers are would simply allow for rather more informed comments on crowd numbers which surely must be better than people making comments when they have the facts wrong.  I just fail to see what the club has to lose by making the figures public.  

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, CaleyD said:

It's all very bizarre.

A red dot for this????????????

• Disagree 1

Yes, the crowd was disappointing for Saturday, particularly given the up-turn in entertainment. However, the truth is that our core support is 2500 ish; an away support of less than 200 and a few non-season ticket holders makes the sub-3000 total. Even for the Celtic game, the casual supporters probably only totalled about 500. It's not about cost or the quality of the product, or indeed a lack of effort by the club. The bottom line is that people would prefer to spend their money on Sky or BT to watch EPL football than to support their local team. It's not a problem for ICT, but for Scottish football and it's not an easy problem to solve.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Maybe this one-dimensional view of your team being better than it actually is explains why teams on the continent are better supported and have larger, more stable, attendances?

I get that it would be nice to slap down the opposition with some attendance splits from TCS, especially as we often get a hard time for the numbers we take to games.....but it only serves to encourage this unhealthy obsession (cultural or not).  You'd think that points were awarded for crowd sizes the way some people go on about them when, in fact, they mean feck all in terms of what's happening on the pitch.

The actual numbers mean very little as well.  Some teams have, for years, issued free tickets/season tickets to employees of their businesses purely to boost the numbers....doesn't mean any more bums on seats, or indeed £'s in the bank.

So are you saying that higher attendances DOESNT equate to an increase in income?